Opening act for Raspberries in NYC?

LarryGL

Well--I suppose if Bernie's message board was up in 1973--we'd be wondering who would open for the Rab4 at Carnegie Hall. But since we're here in 2005--who does everyone think will open for our heroes at BB Kings in NYC in July?

My three cents--but I'd love to see Rooney do it. Not sure if they're willing to be an opening act anymore (ditto: Jet)--so I'm also thinking Butch Walker would be right for it. Marv's been hip to BW for years--and I've just stumbled onto him myself. If you haven't heard the BW song "Mixtape"--you're missing something amazing. Check out the video for it on the BW site. Anyway, the trouble is, that Butch Walker is on the road with Avril L. a lot--so that probably won't work either.

Who else--American Hi-Fi? I'm trying to think of some hip new groups that could handle the honor of opening for Raspberries. The group needs to be able to please the boomer crowd--and yet offer a sense of timelessness and songcraft in order to complement our boys.

I'd much rather a new group opens for Raspberries-rather than a dreaded "oldies" group from the '60s--like Paul Revere or Gary Lewis. Now, having said THAT--I've heard "Enuff Z'Nuff is back on tour--maybe them--they're cool.

Let the speculation begin!

Light,

--Larry

I've seen the buzz on the board about JB--however, because of the the expected crowd of music-industy bigwigs--do we need to speculate on a band on a major label--and not an indie act/homemade CD-style band. JB are on KoolKat Records--do they have major label distribution?

Kool Kat does not have major label distribution...they are much like Not Lame Records, a cool 'lil indie mailorder house/label.

Another act on Kool Kat that folks here might enjoy are The Fire Apes. Their new CD, CENTRAL PARK CAROUSEL, has just been released. It's veery Beatle-esque without sounding too retro, with some sparkling melodies and vocals.

I liked the last Jellybricks record, but as I mentioned in my review of it, I thought it sorta ran out of steam about halfway through...

I've seen the buzz on the board about JB--however, because of the the expected crowd of music-industy bigwigs--do we need to speculate on a band on a major label--and not an indie act/homemade CD-style band. JB are on KoolKat Records--do they have major label distribution?

Sure didn't sound homemade to me. Also, major label distribution is not necessarily a good thing anymore. Artists REALLY need to start making the money, not the labels. Just my 4.5 cents worth.

in a perfect world it would be the Flash Cubes (whose 2nd single is responsible for my rediscovering the Raspberries--both Tommy Allen & Gary Frenay listed 'Berries tunes as their all-time fave songs in the single's pull out sheet)

Probable reality is no opener (and time may be tight)... Still, it would be a thrill to hear "No Promise" and "Girl From Germany" as well as their incendiary full-rip of the Move's "Hello Suzie" prior to Eric & the Boys' set....

Hello everyone. Just remember that OTHER people read this message board also. One of those OTHER people just contacted me and said that he/they were truly flattered to be mentioned as an opening act - even if the chances are remote of it happening. Be nice now. wink

Marvin