Sha-La-La-La-Lee

I'm reading a review of a new British Invasion CD in Performing Songwriter (June 2004), when I stumble upon this line...."a track by Small Faces titled "Sha-La-La-La-Lee" that, in retrospect, sounds like a template for the Raspberries "Go All The Way".

I've never heard this song before. Any thoughts on this comparison from those who have?

While it is fun and catchy piece of power-pop, I don't think that it is the template for GATW. A bit to silly and trite, and not sexy enough to be the template.

I would imagine that the song was dropped from the live sets when they became known as the Faces, and had that Rod Stewart guy take over the lead vocals. Which one of the faces sang it? Steve Marriott, Ronnie Laine, Ian MacLagan, or Kenney Jones...doesn't sound like Ron Wood's voice.....

Plastic Bertrand did the song in the late 70s, with mixed French and English lyrics.

Originally posted by blackhawkpat:

[QB] I'm reading a review of a new British Invasion CD in Performing Songwriter (June 2004), when I stumble upon this line...."a track by Small Faces titled "Sha-La-La-La-Lee" that, in retrospect, sounds like a template for the Raspberries "Go All The Way".

YET ANOTHER WRITER MAKING AN IRRATIONAL LEAP OF JUDGEMENT... Despite grabbing from numerous sources/influences, "Go All The Way" succeeds because it's an expansion AND it's unlike anything prior... The ESSENCE of the song is pure Eric Carmen... unlike "Sha-La-La-La-Lee" it is devoid of soul/R&B roots and it also cuts with an ineffable yearning that makes the song so genuinely magical...

The Small Faces track, as good as it is, sounds a bit trite in comparison... the concept may be slightly akin (boy/girl mod stuff) but "Go All The Way" is an insane amalgamation of pop/rock styles converging through the muse of a budding pop star at his hungriest moment; trying to recharge a world sorely lacking the magic and power of prime era Who, Kinks, Beach Boys & Beatles before the drugs took hold and the beards started growing... There's nothing before or after to match it because there's no other period in pop music where such a thing could happen... although some have tried...it was never the same again...

...Despite grabbing from numerous sources/influences, "Go All The Way" succeeds because it's an expansion AND it's unlike anything prior...it also cuts with an ineffable yearning that makes the song so genuinely magical...

"Go All The Way" is an insane amalgamation of pop/rock styles converging through the muse of a budding pop star at his hungriest moment; trying to recharge a world sorely lacking the magic and power of prime era Who, Kinks, Beach Boys & Beatles before the drugs took hold and the beards started growing... There's nothing before or after to match it because there's no other period in pop music where such a thing could happen... although some have tried...it was never the same again... [/QB]

Wait! That's the way I feel about the songs I just finish writing...Until I listen to them again in a few months... frown

"a track by Small Faces titled "Sha-La-La-La-Lee" that, in retrospect, sounds like a template for the Raspberries "Go All The Way".

ALSO.. IF THE WRITER WAS REALLY INTUITIVE THEY WOULD'VE NOTICED THAT THE SMALL FACES' "AFTERGLOW" WAS THE TEMPLATE TO THE RASPBERRIES' "I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE YOU'RE MINE"-- and yes it is Steve Marriott....