Atlantic City Request Thread

Brian Mac

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can almost hear the roar of the crowd as the the first few notes of "STARTING OVER" leave the stage...it really is a song that needs to be played again...they could release that song again to an unsuspecting public...and it would be much bigger this time around...one of the most underappreciated pop gems of all time...i think it's time to let it shine again.

I'm shocked that so many people love "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine." I thought I was the only one. And Billy, Come Around And See Me would bring the house down. The song that started it all. Great choice.

Maybe Eric and Wally could make a deal. They put Drivin Around (which I think Wally hates) back on the list and add "Money Down" (Which Eric Hates). Any other closet "Money Down" lovers out there?

I would want to see them bring back (at any concert, but especially one I was actually attending) "When You Were With Me" and any Razz songs they have dropped, as well as their beautiful rendition of "Needles and Pins." Just love that.

And I think I've mentioned before that I would KILL to hear their version of "Walk Away Renee."

I am a big fan of "Money Down" as it was originally written which was a little more upbeat. When Wally first wrote and performed it (I believe it was Target) it was hard driving just like “Alright Nowâ€. It would really complement “Party’s Overâ€. During a few of the rehearsals, I have suggested that the band do the song. Who knows, it could happen!!

Trindy,

I would also like to hear "When You Were With Me" by The Choir.

Also, I really enjoyed "Needles and Pins" by the Searchers when Berries did it in Chicago. Yes, "Walk Away Renee" by The Left Bank would also be awesome. I saw them perform it live in 1967 as a warmup act for The Beach Boys. I have read that the Left Banke has always been one of Eric's favorite bands. As far as other songs....Hey lets do a medley of 3 songs that are similar to Beach Boys themes...

Drivin Around/Cruisin Music/On the Beach

That would be just awesome!

Phil

Mannoman, I indeed think they can recreate the sound of "I Can Hardly Believe Your Mine"....

Structurally, it is not that complex, compared to "GATW" or "I Can Remember"....but there is a lot of dynamics and finesse to deal with. The mass of backing vocals is very intense....the key person in this is Jennifer, if they want to pull the song off live, the way they did the other songs in NYC.

This is because Dave's voice is in a lower range than Scott's.......so we really need to rely on Jennifer for this particular song to cover some of the high spots on the backing vocals....

Julie, I'll second your "pretty please."

Billy,

My concern is not with the vocals. I believe they can pull it off in that regard. What I truly want to hear, musically, is the juxtaposition of the bass cleff piano chords complimenting the organ (a B3 Hammond/Leslie would sound nice dontcha think?). Showing my age here.

As I stated earlier (not sure if it was this thread) the piano styling is not Eric's favorite to play and it was very strong on the record (I think Jeff Hutton did piano on the recording) . On the other hand I have been told by those who have heard it live, it kicks a**.

If they decide to do it, I hope it's in AC as I don't see how I can get to the west coast, as much as I would love to be there. This will be my sixth show and I'm getting tapped out.

Anyhoo, it is such a great song I guess I would settle for any rendition just so could hear them play it, live.

spin

Ted

i seen 2 shows and i am Very Rasberries satisfied smile so my votes n plea's for Live supriZe tunes would just have to be:

Hey Bulldog'68 John n The beaTles

I got a line of you/spirit'71

I aint gonaa eat out my heart anymore/The Young rascals'65

I saw the light/'72tod Runndgren

Yellow River/Christie'70

Becouse ..becouse/The Dave Clark Five'64

{bah dah da dah da da dah}.DA! I i cant find the time to tell you'Orpheous'68

I love you/People'68

I'll be back again'64 & Ya cant do that'64 & dont bother me'63 all beaTles

'I'd much rather be with the boys, than be with girls like you'..The rollimg stones Only Bubblegum power pop tune produced n remixed by Phil Spectre'64 They must do this one.it's so

later.me, anth

aka.beaTlebum 500N yC...THEM!

Lies/The Knickerboker's'65

Billy, everybody hear's something different when they listen to a song. What I hear (outside of the vocalization) is use of both piano and organ. And for me it is integral to the overall sound. Without those two components the song just wouldn't the same. It might still be good, but definitely not the same.

Is your profile email address still valid? If so, I'll try to send you an mp3 of the song.

Ted

Mannoman, I indeed think they can recreate the sound of "I Can Hardly Believe Your Mine"....

Structurally, it is not that complex, compared to "GATW" or "I Can Remember"....but there is a lot of dynamics and finesse to deal with. The mass of backing vocals is very intense....the key person in this is Jennifer, if they want to pull the song off live, the way they did the other songs in NYC.

AFTER SEEING HOW POWERFUL THE BAND IS NOW, IT'S A NO-BRAINER... Although it's still a song that needs a lot of work to be pulled off...

Tell Tommy Allen the news!!!!! This is THE song we are dying to hear... this is it!!!!!

"On The Beach" would be our next request.... especially by the ocean side....

Mannoman, did get your e-mail and did find "Starting Over"......yes, I now get what you're talking about on "I Can Hardly Believe You're Mine".....indeed the piano part, as well as the B-3/Leslie.....particularly the latter.

Yeah, I would have to say it would sound barren without the keyboards. Just like the live version of Kiss' "Tomorrow and Tonight" sounds without the female soul backup singers...or how Jane's Addiction doing "Jane Says" live......both lacking compared to the studio versions, due to missing key parts.

There are some songs you can compensate for missing parts that were overdubbed, when you are playing live......one is doing a "composite" part, such as what Jimmy Page does(playing rhythm while Plant is singing, then go to the fills and solos in the breaks). Or Ray Manzerek covering for himself and the studio bassist.

Just to give some examples....

But we have enough personnel on stage where we do not have to rely on composite parts. Different situation than just the basic 4-piece. Have one of the "Overdubs" play one of the keyboard parts,

work out the appropriate vocal parts for Dave and

Jennifer, and we're there!!