Pink Slip

LobsterLvr

Eric, if you worked for me, I would have fired you by now. Your production has been way off in recent years. You never spend any time with your clients or team members. And you've got all of us running around doing your work for you. Did you find another job and forget to tell us about it? If so, I completely understand. If not...then get to work!

Dave

Good point Dave. It's like Eric found another job, working for the Government. When you work for the Govt. you don't really have to work that hard, you get automatic cost of living raises even when the private sector economy is laying off thousands. If you get lazy and your production drops, They can't fire you. They will just hire somebody to help you do your job and raise taxes to pay for it. I think Eric is enjoying being deputy mayor of Cleveland.

I just saw a commercial on tv saying Cher is doing a concert at the First Union Arena (pretty close to me), and she's having "a very special guest" with her... maybe Eric's touring with her smilie

Seriously, guys, if you were Eric's age, and had the money he's got (note, I'm not saying he's a "billionaire" like Michael Jackass... err, Jackson, just that he's not hurting), how much would YOU work? I'd be on a beach somewhere 24/7

Yeah I think Eric's in that laid-back mood now, and thanks to Celine Dion's massive success with her release of "ABM", he really doesn't have to work. Even though music might not be the priority that it once was for him, I would hope that he still has the creative juices to put out a few more cd's.

MARVIN

It seems pretty apparent to me from reading recent interviews with Eric, he's not particularly inspired to write and record anymore. It seems more like a part time hobby. What really annoys me, is that he doesn't seem interested in being truly creative. He seems content in churning out MOR adult contemporary muzac because that's what he thinks will give him the widest audience. If I wanted to listen to Barry Manilow records, I'd buy Barry Manilow records. If he isn't truly inspired to write, record or perform, then he shouldn't do it.

When you have the God given talent to write timeless music composititions that can immortalize you long after you are worm food, that's not WORK. Eric has an obligation to create and share his genius with us lemmings. I know he hates the music biz part of it. But with the Internet and Bernie the motivator, Eric can bypass most of the the weasels and spread his music to a built-in audience. Then, by Internet word of mouth, he can maybe make a little profit.

Geez, his Korg Triton keyboard can cut cost of production in half already...Sorry Marvin, more sequencing...

You hit the nail on the head Badfinger Barb! As much as I agree with you that "Winter Dreams" is pretty close to Barry Manilow (and I don't really mind BM at all), I'd even take a new EC album of that kind of music than no new album at all.

As far as ex-berries go, we're most likely going to get a Dave Smalley solo album sometime this year so I for one am looking forward to that until Eric decides he's ready to release something new.

MARVIN

From Lobsterlvr

Quote:
Did you find another job and forget to tell us about it?
Yes he did find another job but he most certainly told us about it. He's a new father, and he's made it plain that that's his top priority now. I, for one, am really glad to see it,too. I had been so used to thinking of him as this "tortured artist" type for so many years, that when I popped on this site and saw that he was a proud poppa I was really, really happy for him. Plus, he waited a long time to have kids. I'm 13 years younger than he is and his son is the same age as my youngest grandson! If he wants to spend all his time being the World's Greatest Dad, then God bless him.

From BadfingerBarb

Quote:
What really annoys me is that he doesn't seem interested in being truly creative.
Because he targeted his album at a specific group? Eric is an unusually diverse and multi-faceted artist. Not everyone can grasp and appreciate everything he's capable of creating. Some can. We're his biggest fans and he can't even please all of us at the same time! Re-read all the posts here about his best song, or his worst song, or what you want to hear live - most lists are totally different from everybody else's.

The two albums that we consider to be his best (Boats and Tonight You're Mine) fell far short of commercial expectations with the general public. They are both very different from each other. He had a deal with a company who was putting out money to finance and promote an album that would sell to the public at large. And not sell here necessarily, but sell in Japan, a culture totally removed from ours. So he picked a specfic group of his widely diverse fan base (or market if you prefer) and concentrated on that one. It seems to me that what really annoys you is that you're not a part of the group on which he chose focus his talents.

From Tony:

Quote:
Eric has an obligation to create and share his genius with us lemmings.
I know you're not really serious Tony, but I have seen other posts about Eric's supposed obligations to us. After being in many bands, two solo careers, ten albums, years of touring, tv appearances, gold records and after writing (according BMI) some of the most played songs of all time, Eric Carmen isn't obligated to do S**T if he doesn't feel like it!

I feel it too you guys. I would desperately love to see him perform live - it's one of my favorite fantasies. But, I remember reading that he no longer wants to "beat himself up every night" on stage. I really hated to read that. But he's done so much touring - starting in bars and dives and working all the way up to Carnegie Hall - and then having to start all over again as somebody else's opening act, I guess I can understand how he feels. In all of the pictures I've seen of him on tour with Ringo, he looked like he was having a ball. I'm just hoping that something will come along that he thinks is going to be a lot of fun so I can get my chance.

Lyd

Well said, Lydia. He doesn't owe us anything, and we should be grateful for what he has given us over the years. Expecting him to "rock" at this stage of his career is probably not realistic. Most times I see someone his age trying to pull off the rock act, it's pathetic. His style has naturally matured, and in my opinion, it's still fabulous music. It suits who he is now, rather than who he was at 20. His audience should try to mature with him, or find someone new to follow who can fulfill their needs. The bullying and badgering approach to wishing for new music is a joke. I hope he just laughs at some of those posts. That's not to say I don't wish for more from him, but none of us is in a position to demand it.

Do you guys remember Paul Anka? He was a teen idol in his early career and had a major hit with "Diana" and later with "Having My Baby." He wrote "My Way" which Frank Sinatra turned into his own signature tune, he composed the theme for Johnny Carson's Tonight Show, and "The Times of Your Life" for Kodak. Anyway, the point is, after he married and fathered five daughters he became a family man and slowed down on the recording and touring, and became more of a writer for other artists. Sounds a lot like Eric, doesn't it? I would buy ANYTHING that Eric released--don't get me wrong. But I am absolutely thrilled that he is happy with his wife and two small children. More men should be like Eric! We are in no position to demand anything from him. He'll do something when he feels like it. smilie

I've played in bands and written music most of my life. Music was my passion. Five years ago when I became a first-time father, my entire life changed along with my priorities. Since then, I have not played with any bands, but I sitll write music. I would guess that even though Eric might have lost the desire to perform live, the inspiration to write music is still in him.

MARVIN

We need to find joy in the many albums Eric has already given us...think of all the songs we have to treasure now-from the early bands to the Raspberries to the various stages of his solo career. Yes, we all crave more Eric music. But in the meantime, understand that life takes many stages and this is his family time. I'd much rather think of him with a wonderful and happy family life...than recording an album to just satisy us or a record company.

"I was a dreamer...You were a dreamer...But perfection is consuming...And it seems we're only human after all."

After all is said and done, it really doesn't help to speculate on why Eric hasn't toured or put out an album. Whatever his reasons, they are his and he doesn't owe anyone an explanation.

If he weren't interested in writing/performing anymore, I doubt he would build himself the perfect room in which to create more music and update all of his equipment. It doesn't sound like he's stopping any of his creative efforts to me. Just because he didn't write a new album "yesterday" or last year doesn't mean he won't.

It will come, and when it does, it will be well well worth the wait....

smile --Darlene

It's crazy to think that Eric is obligated to do anything for the general mass of people who like his music. I think where it all becomes so frustrating with me is this gut feeling that Eric still has some great stuff in him. When an artist sits down to create art, he or she does it for one of two reasons. 1) to create something that will sell and make money or 2)to make manifest his/her artistic conceptions and impressions without thought of who will appreciate it. In my opinion (and it is only that) Eric has been limited by being in category #1 most of the time. I believe the instances where he put himself in #2, he created some of his best work. It seems to me that Winter Dreams was spawned totally from the mindset of #1, which is great for those who like that style of music and fall into the group that he targeted with it. I guess what I am really hoping for is, that at this stage of his career where he might not need to make money so that he can pay the rent, that he would compose material by staying within the confines of #2 (which has no confines). I'm done babbling now.

First of all, I'm glad no one's throwing tomatoes at me for my initial 'pink slip' post. I've kept a fairly low profile here at ec.com lately, not because I'm not interested....it's just that there's nothing new to say! I'd love something new from Eric. I NEED something new from Eric! I'm not getting any younger! I'm envious of Eric's ability to be the ultimate father. (I wish I had the bank roll that would allow that!). But between taking the kids to the park, playing hide and go seek, and coloring together can't he sit down and create something...anything..that says 'yes...I'm still here'. Because, Eric, we're still here...waiting...

Dave

Dave, I'm sure you're the ultimate Dad too, even without a huge bankroll! I want/need something new from Eric too, but I'm sure we'll eventually get it. Remember, construction isn't done at his home so he probably still has his kids coming in and twisting all the dials on his equipment! As soon as that room is done, I think we'll hear that he has settled in to working again with gusto.

I don't think Eric can be separated from musical creativity for long, even if HE wants to be. I think like really fine actors, the career chose HIM more than he chose the career. His inner musical gifts will NOT let Eric off the hook!

smile --Darlene

I sorta agree with Dave. It's tough re-hashing the same subjects over and over especially when there's not even a hint of something new (music-wise) from Eric. If Eric does read this message board, he'll know the frustrations and hopes that many of us have. I would doubt very much that he has any desire to play the 'music business game', but I would bet anything that there is still a burning desire to compose music.

MARVIN

After reading Stut5's post Eric will now write a song. You are getting creative, Eric. Now, pick up the paper and walk over to the piano. That's it, sit down and begin to play. Goood. Keep playing. Yes, that's better.

Hey, do you think this has a chance of working? Kirk.

I must have offended someone with my spoof on "The Shining" because my reply which was merely a goof on the fact that Eric has'nt done much music lately has been removed.the only thing I said was something like "NONEWCDFROMERICINMANYYEARSMAKEERICADULLBOY"Idid a control V and copied a paragraphs worth like they did in the shining "ALLWORKANDNOPLAYMAKEJACKADULLBOY" I really don't understand ? confused

Stut5-- I *had* to remove your post. It had nothing to do with content. You typed a continuous line with no word breaks that pretty much screwed up the entire page layout. Most internet browsers simply didn't know what to do with it and the entire page looked screwy.

Other posts under this topic *were* removed due to an unusually large number of complaints. I try and keep out of it for the most part but really don't want this place to get ugly. Criticism is fine (and Eric should not be immune to it even here on his official web site), but please keep in mind that Eric *does* read these posts, and act accordingly.

We now return to your regularly scheduled Message Board. smile --Bernie

Stut5-- I *had* to remove your post. It had nothing to do with content. You typed a continuous line with no word breaks that pretty much screwed up the entire page layout. Most internet browsers simply didn't know what to do with it and the entire page looked screwy.

I see. Thanks Bernie for clearing that up because I was really just being goofy.