Death (dearth) of The Raspberries?

pierson

This is something which seems more troublesome over the past 5 years or so. It seems that the Raspberries and their legacy are becoming increasingly obscured and silenced. Since I live in the tri-state area, it's a virtual wasteland with no oldies station playing "Go All The Way." It would be almost insane to think they'd play any of the other top 40 entries, and I don't expect them to.

Still, with Big Star remaining a looming (& still growing) cult figure of major importance in the print media and Badfinger, solidly holding on to their legacy via reissues and continual radio airplay, it's a major tragedy to see the 'Berries slowly disappearing from the rock and pop culture landscape. They deserve equal footing as those aforementioned bands.

Are the rest of the people out there experiencing such a silence (on oldies stations)? I already know that the rock press ain't giving them the love they deserve, although, without any new product/reissues to tout it's hard to reignite the flame.

Other than "GATW", the Raspberries had no big hits. And the recording of that classic tune sounds so dated with virtually no bottom end. You can barely hear the lower bass notes or the bass drum. If we could get a remix done out there with some bottom end (the technology is in most studios?), maybe the radio stations would spin it more often.

99.9% of "Oldies" stations do not know the 'berries for anything other than "GAtW", whereas Badfinger is known for "No Matter What", "Day After Day", "Come And Get It" and "Baby Blue." Can't blame those stations for not wanting to play "GAtW" all the time while also not wanting to play other 'berries cuts which 99.9% of listeners have never heard.

Marvin

Tony, ALL the oldies that are played on radio stations sound "dated." Because they ARE--they're oldies... (duh!) I think GATW is perfect the way it is, and should be played. What kind of conspiracy is going on out there? I hear such JUNK played most of the time, even oldies.

smile --Darlene

the recording of that classic tune sounds so dated with virtually no bottom end. You can barely hear the lower bass notes or the bass drum. If we could get a remix done out there with some bottom end (the technology is in most studios?), maybe the radio stations would spin it more often. [/QB]

Yes & No.... It should NOT be remixed... that would alter the essence of the song & the performance. It SHOULD be remastered, which will give it more bottom. Darlene's point is correct, it isn't any more dated than the majority of hits from the '60s and '70s. Still, radio stations should be spinning it as much as any song that sold a million copies (which it did) and received so much airplay.

The trouble is radio sticks to the same playlist day after day. Even the oldies station here in Chicago(WJMK)plays the same 20 or so songs every single day. I can see this with say a Top 40 station, but when there's a wealth of material dating back from the 50's to the late 70's, why stick to the same songs? In fact it's so bad that the morning DJ (John "Records" Landecker)was very vocal about this. He has since been fired. This the big reason I never listen to the radio. I buy then compile my own CD's to listen to in the car.

According to our local Oldies station, they subscribe to a service that tells them which tunes are hot and which are not (according to some idiot bean counter). At that point all the tunes are loaded into a computer and there you have it. Very rarely are they allowed to stray from the pre-programmed setup. Maybe for "Lunchtime at the Oldies" or something, I'll hear GATW or IWBWY, but only if I request it. Otherwise, nothing, nada. Radio is a VERY sad state of affairs today. No local ownership, no originality, no local music. Just the same 20-30 songs in every city you go to. Hell, one company owns 8 out of 11 stations here. And they all sound the same. We toyed with the idea of starting an oldies band around here that did all the other GOOD songs that came out and were hits but you never hear. Didn't work .... everybody complained because we didn't play the same crap as everyone else. Damn' now I'm in a bad mood! Time for a beer ..........

Actually, the aborted-never released 2000 collection DOES have 24bit remastered versions of all the boys classics. They do have more bottom end than the released versions and they do,in some cases, sound noticably better....yet problems remain (e.g. clipping during the guitar opening on I Wanna Be With You....who was riding the gain in the studio???...there is clipping on several tracks).

The 2000 collection...with the rehearsals...would have been a great legacy for the band.

As I understand it...these remasters were supposed to appear in yet a new collection for release in 2003....never happened.

I try to spread the word as much as possible...but lets fact it...pop-rock of this type is dead.

The pseudo music-sampled-computer generated-gangster-thug-degenerates now rule the music world.

i forgot to put my reply to what Tom said.... pop/rock is far from dead... and it's rediculous that "go all the way" is not played when badfinger is... it's fallen under the radar only because people aren't giving it due props.. the people who program oldies radio have lost touch... a quick perusal of Billboard's top 40 hits book will unearth numerous big hits which do not receive airplay (i.e. henry gross' 'shannon' which went gold)... the only way an old hit will remain in the consciousness of the masses is if it gets airplay... classic rock radio has turned several songs that were rarely played on '70s FM radio into staple songs...

More musing on the subject....there nare plenty of early 70's recordings that sound just fine (Thin Lizzy's work comes to mind).

The blame clearly falls on Shelly for running everything through that nasty compressor. Eric has always claimed that it made GATW sound better...BUT interesting enough....I enjoy the "sound" of the uncompressed Flipside GATW (even with other issues)along with the Flipside Tonight and IWBWY. I can actually hear more bottom end on these recordings. I fact...I can JUST imagine what the first gen studio tapes of the Flipside sessions sound like.

Drool...drool.....

Hungry Eyes is played on a regular basis here on WNND.Also on Sunday mornings Bob Stroud's Rock n Roll Roots show from 9-noon plays many berries songs. thru the years I have heard him play GATW,IWTBWY,Lets Pretend,Sunrise, DWTSG,Overnight Sensation and probably others that I can't think of right now. He also has played It's Cold Outside by The Choir. Great radio show! smile