Notable/Unusual Opening Acts

Raspyrock

For the record, the Tifton concert was my only time seeing the Berries live. Jim Stafford was great. He performed all alone and had to extend his set because some of the groups stuff didn't get there on time. Eric opened the show by saying something like, "this delay brought to you by Delta Airlines."

JIM

Wish I was there -- thanx for the info!

Delta's ad used to be that they "always pulled out on time" --- but I suppose not "always pull in on time". Not surprised Jim Stafford was a good trooper.

In 1978, I went to see Warren Zevon {Excitable Boy Tour} at Cleveland Convention Center and an unknown comic by the name of Richard Beltzer opened the show. His comedy wasn't really going over well with a concert crowd to say the least. He did a great Mick Jagger inpersonation!

Wow! I was at that show, Bill.

I saw some folk band (2 guys and a girl, all on acoustic guitar) open for Kiss in Mobile, AL in 1976. They put up a good fight for about 10 mintues, dodging all of the crap that was being thrown at them. Thankfully they gave up and left the stage.

I saw Graham Parker open for Thin Lizzy. Poor Graham got a less than warm reception.

Would have loved to have been at the Thin Lizzy/Queen show though.

I saw Bob Seger (substituting for Mott (what was left of Mott The Hoople after Ralphs and Hunter departed)) opening for Rush in 1975. Bob had just released Katmandu, and nobody knew who he was. All the prog-rock fans left the hall and went off to "smoke". Out of a full 3000-seat house when he started, maybe 50 people were left in the room by the time he finished. Rush fans are too nice to throw things... cool

Doug

Around that time, the members of REM worked the cash register at Wuxtry Records in downtown Athens. One day I found a pristine Starting Over LP and paid $8.00 for it. Bill Berry rang it up. Honest to God, they were just local musicians with a decent following. These days, you can run into Mike Mills playing golf at the Athens Country Club or Michael Stipe having dinner at the excellent 5&10 Restaurant. And I'll tell you another thing, the local Athens critics are not afraid to express an honest opinion when REM releases a CD, but you would NEVER see a snide cheap shot.

Quote:
Originally posted by JCraft:

Actually Jim has three albums---the first being "Welcome to Maddox Country". Pretty funny stuff, especially if your from Georgia.

JIM

I had no idea he had a third. When was that released?

Jeff

It was actually his first album and contained such monster hits, besides the title track, as I Ain't Sharin' Sharon and Yippie I'm a Hippie. I still have the scratched up vinyl LP in the attic,

JIM

Around that time, the members of REM worked the cash register at Wuxtry Records in downtown Athens. One day I found a pristine Starting Over LP and paid $8.00 for it. Bill Berry rang it up. Honest to God, they were just local musicians with a decent following. These days, you can run into Mike Mills playing golf at the Athens Country Club or Michael Stipe having dinner at the excellent 5&10 Restaurant. And I'll tell you another thing, the local Athens critics are not afraid to express an honest opinion when REM releases a CD, but you would NEVER see a snide cheap shot.

That's surreal-you bought a Raspberries record from he whom many consider to be one of the greatest unsung songwriters of the late 20th century? It's one thing to tell this story involving a pretty decent drummer in a famous band, it's quite another to have BILL BERRY, someone who wrote so many perfect melodies that changed the way a lot of people looked at music, in that story.

. . . and he sold you such a great record.

• 3 years later...