Notable/Unusual Opening Acts

Raspyrock

My other post concerning Panama City, Fl. spurred this memory.

In 1973 the Raspberries played Tifton, Ga. --- I lived w/ my aunt & uncle in Albany, Ga. at that time & thought I'd almost had them talked into taking me to the show --- I was wrong!!

They were a void when it came to music!!

*** Anyway, Jim (Spiders & Snakes) Stafford opened for the Raspberries --- I'm thinking he must a been a real hoot. What's that other song about smokin' the wacky tobacky ?? ...

"...take a trip & never leave the farm ...".

I would like to hear from Eric, band members & roadies about notable or zany opening acts --- and about what they expected in various regions of the country?!!?

I saw Jim Stafford and Steve Martin (pre-fame) open for Muddy Waters on separate nights at the old Cellar Door in DC. Nothing like Mississippi Delta blues, preceded by balloon animals!

Rich Hall (of later SNL fame) opening for The Pirates (UK R&R band), same venue.

The Who (pre-fame) opening for Herman's Hermits

Ramones opening for Black Sabbath

Wasn't it true at some point that Hendrix opened for the Monkees as late as 1967? Anyway..that's just a weird combo.

I saw Prince open in 1979 at the behest of a good friend of mine in a club in Manhattan (could have been The Ritz). He had one hit at the time called "I Wanna Be Your Lover". I'll never forget saying to my buddy after the show that Prince sucked, was a James Brown wannabe...and outside his good guitar playing...we'd never hear from him again.He just wasn't original.

Well clearly I must've had an off night. eek

Damn..I just remembered...how about Stevie Wonder opening for John Lennon and/or The Stones..must've been the real early 70's prior to Stevie's big comeback and before John's hibernation. I didn't see the show..but I'm positive he opened for The Stones back then.

John

John - yes Hendrix I think maybe only opened for one or two shows maximum for the Monkees and was boo'd off stage (well what did they expect there were 6 to 13 year olds in their audience, Hendrix probably frightened them lol).

of course, my first Fillmore East concert was interesting...

Opening act: Sweetwater

Then: Super Session (Bloomfield and Kooper, but Bloomfield's plane was delayed so BB King sat in. Bloomfield joined mid-set.)

Then: The Butterfield Blues Band

and then, the headliner:

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown

psychefreakindelic

I was 16 and living in Dallas in 1968. My next door neighbor was Peter Gent of the Cowboys (he later wrote the book North Dallas 40). He gave me a ticket to see the Rolling Stones at SMU and I went with him and a friend of his to the concert. The friend turned out to be Dandy Don Meredith. Bobbi Gentry (Ode to Billy Joe) was the opening act.

After the concert, all I could say was "Wow, that was great!"

Don Meredith piped up "She sure was, son. But those Rolling Stones sure sucked." Ain't no accounting for taste.

I was 16 and living in Dallas in 1968. My next door neighbor was Peter Gent of the Cowboys (he later wrote the book North Dallas 40). He gave me a ticket to see the Rolling Stones at SMU and I went with him and a friend of his to the concert. The friend turned out to be Dandy Don Meredith. Bobbi Gentry (Ode to Billy Joe) was the opening act.

After the concert, all I could say was "Wow, that was great!"

Don Meredith piped up "She sure was, son. But those Rolling Stones sure sucked." Ain't no accounting for taste.

In 1978, I went to see Warren Zevon {Excitable Boy Tour} at Cleveland Convention Center and an unknown comic by the name of Richard Beltzer opened the show. His comedy wasn't really going over well with a concert crowd to say the least. He did a great Mick Jagger inpersonation!

This might mean more to the Canadians on the board, but in 1975 I saw one of the top Canadian Rock bands at the time, April Wine, and their opening act was a relative unknown - Andy Gibb.

He had just released "I Just Want to Be Your Everything", and it was a total mis-match as far as concert billings go. Poor Andy got booed off the stage.

I saw a young piano player get booed off the stage as an opener for the Beach Boys. His name? Billy Joel, who went on to have a hit or twenty later in his career. He insisted on doing an encore and started giving the light crew and everyone else the finger when they wouldn't turn the lights back off.

The James Cotton Blues Band opened for Angel and the Runaways, in an extremely odd booking. People were throwing everything they could, bottles, shoes, etc at James Cotton, who was ducking and playing harmonica.

Thin Lizzy backed up Queen at a show I was at, which didn't go too well, either, and of course, our own Raspberries, filling in for Iggy Pop, opening for Blue Oyster Cult, thirty some years ago.

Just last week, Davy Jones was on Garry Meier's local CHicago radio show, discussing Hendrix opening for the Monkees. He said that the crowd, mostly all young girls, was chanting "Davy" and "Mickey" over and over while Hendrix was playing and suddenly, Hendrix ripped off his guitar and flung it in the crowd and left the stage and the tour.

When I saw Elton John at the Chicago Stadium in '76, he had two opening acts. One was Kiki Dee, the other was Scottish comedien Brian Connely. Needless to say, he didn't go over very well at all. With his thick accent, and the terrible acoustics you couldnt understand a thing he was saying.

Jeff

For the record, the Tifton concert was my only time seeing the Berries live. Jim Stafford was great. He performed all alone and had to extend his set because some of the groups stuff didn't get there on time. Eric opened the show by saying something like, "this delay brought to you by Delta Airlines."

JIM