HOB Opening Night Observations

Classics99

Rambling thoughts after scouting out the HOB opening night concert with CHEAP TRICK:

If you had thought of "smuggling" a camera in (as I did) forget about it....security is tighter than an airport. All purses checked, all coats opened,pockets emptied,AND......metal detector wands are used on everyone.

Sightlines are awesome with video monitors well placed throughout the venue.

Sound and lighting board are HUGE (approx 18 x 25) and sit dead center in the hall and on the "mosh pit" (that's what they call it) in front of the stage.

If you're claustrophobic you might have problems...ceilings are low (because of balcony) and with a full house it is packed.

Restaurant personnel stated they are NOT taking reservations (at least in person) until after January 1st. I'm not sure of the results if anyone called for reservations.

Side private "boxes" are practically on top of the stage but in some cases sightlines are obstructed by large speaker banks mounted on the walls on side of stage.

HOB personnel informed me that the Meet and Greet upstairs prior to the Raspberries show will be by ticket only but after that the upstairs will be open as approx 30% of the standing room area is upstairs behind the seats. Quicker access to bathrooms and bars upstairs also since 60% - 70% of the crowd is on the main floor. wink

Table seating is arranged around the "mosh pit" area (as in most HOB's) and behind seats in the balcony. First come first served!!!

Any questions or comments are welcome or contact me at Classics99@aol.com

Great informaton Classics99 --- my box is HL4, which is a balcony box but the one further away. HOB said that that box had the best site lines. Not sure if you can recall that exact box - but its is one of the two larger ones on the left if you were facing the stage. Any thoughts on it?

Many people have questioned why there are only 6 seats for 12 people - is the box large - will there be room to cater and dance - and will the seats be a problem. Not expecting you to be able to definitively answer any of this - just rambling thoughts you might have comments on.

See you Friday!

Rambling thoughts after scouting out the HOB opening night concert with CHEAP TRICK:

If you had thought of "smuggling" a camera in (as I did) forget about it....security is tighter than an airport. All purses checked, all coats opened,pockets emptied,AND......metal detector wands are used on everyone.

Sightlines are awesome with video monitors well placed throughout the venue.

Sound and lighting board are HUGE (approx 18 x 25) and sit dead center in the hall and on the "mosh pit" (that's what they call it) in front of the stage.

If you're claustrophobic you might have problems...ceilings are low (because of balcony) and with a full house it is packed.

Restaurant personnel stated they are NOT taking reservations (at least in person) until after January 1st. I'm not sure of the results if anyone called for reservations.

Side private "boxes" are practically on top of the stage but in some cases sightlines are obstructed by large speaker banks mounted on the walls on side of stage.

HOB personnel informed me that the Meet and Greet upstairs prior to the Raspberries show will be by ticket only but after that the upstairs will be open as approx 30% of the standing room area is upstairs behind the seats. Quicker access to bathrooms and bars upstairs also since 60% - 70% of the crowd is on the main floor. wink

Table seating is arranged around the "mosh pit" area (as in most HOB's) and behind seats in the balcony. First come first served!!!

Any questions or comments are welcome or contact me at Classics99@aol.com

There is a pre-concert food/beverage get together in the Cambridge Room for $50 with "pass the line" privileges for ticket holders only. If memory serves me correctly the sign up closed 11/15.

For GA ticket holders who fork over an additional $45 there is an after-concert Meet and Greet with the band members (price includes photo) which will also be held in the Cambridge Room .

Does that clarify?

Ted

More Random Thoughts (After the hangover subsides).....

Drink prices and quality are, well, lacking, at least this 1st night. $7.25 for a vodka and cranberry in an extremely small cup. My drink of choice, a bottle of Great Lakes Christmas Ale beer was $4.25...try it if you enjoy beer...it's locally brewed and has subtle cinnamon / spice flavoring. They do have food available at the bar (potato skins, hot poppers, etc) for a late night snack.

The wait outside the HOB is NOT covered, so prepare if entering from Euclid. Wristbands were given out (21 and over for alcohol sales) outside which either slowed down or sped up the wait, depending on your point of view. ID's were checked if youthful appearing.The seperate entrance for the restaurant has a small covering / doorway. Once inside, security screening line moved slow (they were thorough).

Sound quality seemed best on balcony and was a bit muddled at first but improved so by mid-show was probably best concert sound I've heard in awhile. It would be awful not to hear the individual instrumentations of the RASPBERRIES so it should improve by the 26th.

Clarifying from before... unsure if HOB personnel I spoke with was a supervisor (it appeared so from her actions) but she was decisive in informing me that the balcony would be open for non-VIP members at some point for SRO viewing for the concert. Take it for what it's worth.

Does anyone know if compact binoculars are permitted inside the concert hall? Also, can you take pictures inside the HOB, (restaurant, lobby, private group rooms)? I know the concert area is off limits, but what about the pre-show reception?

Thanks classics99 for all your detailed info!!

I did see people with cell phones in the concert hall so evidently they were not confiscating them (how could they.... just about everyone carries one these days) I wasn't paying attention as to whether anyone was taking pictures up close with camera-phones but hey, it was so densely packed that security couldn't have gotten to anyone on the floor anyway!!!!

They don't do the security check until going into the concert hall itself so in the lobby and all other private areas (as far as I could ascertain) photos could be taken. But then what do you do with your camera????????

Does anyone know if there is a coat check at the HOB. I'd like to bring a disposable camera to the pre-show reception and if I could check my coat and keep the camera in my coat pocket during the show, that would work out great! If it gets stolen I would be sad, but not out a lot of $$$.

As I stated earlier, the sound quality in the balcony was originally better than on the floor but by mid-concert they had adjusted the mix so that anyplace in the hall (and I walked all over) was equally superb (better than 95% of the concerts I attend...15-25/yr, small and large hall)

It appears from talking with a cocktail waitress that the tables are all "first come first served" so those attending the pre-show get-together should have first dibs.

Coat check is in the lobby just to the right of the security check and costs $4.00!!!!!!!!!!

Tables surrounding the floor are elevated since the "mosh pit" is a three step walkdown from the surrounding bar / table / SRO / entrance area. Viewing is good from all tables. The tables back by the sound booth...again, a LARGE booth in the middle of the hall.... probably have the best view unless the Cleveland Cavs decide to show up en mass and stand in front of you.

Behind the balcony seats there is a rail / sitting area with seats (probably the best view from the balcony besides the seats themselves). Wait, maybe I should say they are the WORST seats since thats where I'm hoping to be..Yep, that's it , those seats are aweful..DON"T SIT THERE!!!!, and behind those are another goups of tables with good but not great viweing 'cuse it could be partially obstructed with people standing, etc in from. The balcony is steep enough not to worry about not being able to see over the person in front of you... sightlines were well thought out.