the OTHER n.y.e. concert

LobsterLvr

I just got back from Darlene's concert. In case you don't know it, she's a violinist for one of the area's best orchestra's (in her spare time). Tonight her orchestra performed in the State Capital to a full house, performing everything from big band to amazing classical stuff. I am so glad I went!! I felt like a proud parent sitting in the balcony watching Darlene play. You can't miss her! Her golden hair radiates almost as much as her violin playing.

But here's the big news for all of us EC fans: As she's mentioned in a few previous posts, the only thing that made tonight a little less painful (for us non-cleveland partyers) was the fact that the orchestra was going to play the Rachmaninoff piece that inspired Eric's "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again". Just prior to performing the piece, the conducter turned to the audience and explained how Rachmaninoff's music has been embraced by many talented musicians in recent years, and, in the case of the piece they were about to play, inspired the mid '70's hit "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again". I could see Darlene smiling from my balcony seat! I knew she had something to do with it!!

The orchestra brought the piece to life beautifully. Darlene was one of 17 violinists in her section. I could tell she was enjoying every note. So was I. And so were all the people in the audience. I actually heard a big chubby 80 year old guy humming the melody on our way out!

Darlene, I tried to get your attention during intermission and I tried to find you after the show. Alas, to no avail. But so everyone knows, you were great. I'm glad I spent part of my New Years Eve with you. You made it special.

Dave

Dave! I just got your reply (and will reply via e-mail as well)! Your ticket is still sitting here on my desk, and I will send it to you as a souvenir from *me.* I didn't know you were in the balcony, because that would take longer to get downstairs to the stage. I wish you had come up to the stage during intermission to get my attention. I stayed out there the whole time, on the chance that you might.

Thank you for the great compliments. I looked all around for you--there were so many people, I didn't even see Herman in the audience. I am SO glad you were able to come! I had a feeling you were there, and that made it very special for me.

I was floating on my usual cloud playing the Rachmaninoff. When John Holly (the conductor) mentioned "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again," *I* was absolutely thrilled, but, guess what?! I didn't have anything at all to do with what he said. And John is so completely "classical," I wouldn't have believed that he ever *heard* of "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again"! It just goes to show you that EVERYTHING is coming up roses for Raspberries and Eric. 2004-05 is really magic for them. "It's written in the stars," as I said!

I'm just so happy you were there. You made it very special for me, too! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

smile --Love, Darlene

Oh, Dave, I'm laughing about that! I swear, this is one of the most entertaining stories on the board. Darlene, it's hard to believe you weren't behind this. I wish I could hear the Rachmaninoff piece that I've heard so often is a source of inspiration for Eric's NGFILA. Are the similarities obvious?

Very obvious! You can't help but sing along! In fact, I sang along with it (in my head) and I ran out of lyrics!! In the original (Rachmaninoff's), the melody comes around about 5 or 6 times in the 10 minute song. Eric only wrote two verses worth of lyrics of "NGFILA", so I ended up repeating myself...to myself about 4 times. (If that makes any sense.)

Dave

Jen, You have to imagine this very tall, proper and prim conductor, very mild mannered and square, in his tuxedo and tails, talking about Rachmaninoff inspiring "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again." And I PROMISE, I didn't say a word to him about it. I was so shocked, I almost fell off my chair. In fact, for a second, I thought, "Did he say NGFILA?!" But indeed, he did. It sounded funny coming from his mouth...

It's Rachmaninoff's Symphony in e minor, and the piece is the third movement or part. And the theme or tune goes through the whole thing, in different instruments. But the violins play the entire song, and it's just glorious for me! In fact, while I was playing it, I was singing "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again..." to myself! I haven't checked the Schwann catalog (or whatever they call it now)--the catalog of current cds, so I don't know who has the best recording out, but it's a great symphony. The entire thing takes 68 minutes to play, in tempo, but the third movement (piece) is NGFILA. The whole thing is breathtakingly beautiful.

smile --D

• 2 weeks later...

Darlene, I'm glad you could handle this...having to play that music when I couldn't go to the concert would probably have made me CRY! LOL!

Seriously, it's funny you should say this because back when I lived in a town in upstate NY two orchestras came through playing this whole symphony over the past couple of years--one of them local I think--and the local reviewer, who liked to think she was hip, complained each time about how "That movement is ruined for me because every time I hear it I think of Eric Carmen and his damn cheesy song!" Oh well, to each his own...as for me, Eric made me a Rachmaninoff fan...I love his stuff now. And I have to give Eric kudos for taking the clarinet solo from that movement and making it into the bridge of NGFILA...brilliant!

I was delighted when I first bought a copy of the Rach 2 Piano Concerto and, listening to the first movement, that Eric had stolen a French horn solo and turned it into the intro to "My Girl"! (Ever notice that one?) LOL! The Rach 2 is one of the most overused pieces of music at figure skating competitions (all 3 movements) and some people still hear the second movement and think it's "All By Myself"! I do know I saw one particularly brilliant performance to it once...Chen Lu at the '96 worlds...she and Michelle Kwan were going for the gold and Kwan won but frankly that night I would have given it to Lulu, it was such a stunning program. And one of the American skaters of the '70s--David Santee--used the third movement of the Rach 3rd symphony for part of his long program in '76.

Is this the part where I break Darlene's heart by telling her I actually had the chance to HEAR Aunt Muriel play? Yep, it was back when I was an undergrad at Ohio U. in Athens. I was a journalism major taking a course on review writing and one of the events we all had to attend and review was the Cleveland Orchestra concert on campus that quarter. Yoel Levi was guest conducting. Off the top I can't recall what they played, but I think the Sibelius 2 was one of the pieces...I'd have to look up the rest. Anyway, I still have the program and sure enough, Aunt Muriel is on the roster! (this was '83) I remember looking for her name and being pleased that she was still there and I got a chance to hear her! (unless someone was subbing for her and I didn't know it!) Anyway, I didn't know jack about classical music at the time (I'd like to think I have learned a teensy bit since, through various experiences), but it was a wonderful experience!

Trindy, That was a great post! So you watch figure skating?! I do too--I LOVE IT! It's so much like performing at a violin competition. A few minutes under the microscope can put you on top of the world or wreck your life for awhile (not to mention a playing career!) Olympics must be the most harrowing--four years of sweat goes out the window if you blow it. Violin competitions aren't *that* harrowing.

So you heard Aunt Muriel?! And she was still playing in 1983. Lucky girl, you! Cleveland was always my favorite orchestra--such a lush but pure and perfect string sound. Szell may have been an old curmudgeon, but he was great, and he had great players. Aunt Muriel was part of that gorgeous signature sound. One day I *will* get to meet her. I just know it...

smile --Darlene