Bruce again mentions Raspberries (Pittsburgh tonight)

Cozmik

Bruce did an outstanding show in Pittsburgh tonight and again expressed how much he liked the Raspberries. It was a wrap pretty similar to the one earlier reported but he also singled out "Overnight Sensation" as a "classic" and told everyone to go get "Overnight Sensation" and if they didn't like it next time he's in town they could tell him "Bruce, your taste sucks".

That's true.

Also I've found that the Bruce Springteen "freaks" that I've introduced to the Raspberries seemed to really "get" the Raspberries. Thus Springsteen's arenas are ready made markets for Raspberries' music and if Springsteen keeps this up, it might be pretty huge RE: free promotion for the group.

Please humor me and allow me to blow my Bruce horn for a bit: I've followed Bruce's career pretty intently since the "Born to Run" days. For a good portion of his career you all know that he has championed the cause of anyone who he has felt did not get a fair deal. Everyone is aware of 'working man Bruce', but he's also gone into the corner of many a musician that he believed deserved a better fate. During the early 1980's, Bruce was listening to Raspberries. He's said it himself and it is evident by some of the 'poppier' material on "The River", on the material that made Disc 2 of "Tracks" and even more so on the material that has not seen the light of day.

Am I surprised that Raspberries are suddenly getting all this support in 2005? Yes. Am I surprised that Bruce has climbed aboard? Not one iota.

Marv

Here's another report from Pittsburgh, from rec.music.artists.springsteen

Bernie

- - - -

Bruce again pushes the Raspberries in Pittsburgh

Ken Ream

Jul 29, 6:47 am

What a great show last night! And I thought Bruce making comments about how much he liked the Raspberries the other night was a one-time off-the-cuff statement but he did it again last night. I was of the few scattered cheers when he mentioned the greatest power-pop band of all time (I had just seen the 'berries in Cleveland 2 weeks ago!). He especially singled out "Overnight Sensation' as a classic song and recommended everybody go get it.

Take Bruce's advice! Capitol has a new remastered greatest hits collection out.

Yes, indeed, Marvin.....in the past, he had helped restore interest in Roy Orbison's music, as well as the all-but-forgotten Gary U.S. Bonds.

There are the two major facets of Springsteen's music....of course, the political-social commentary angle.....then there is the fun kind of music you play at bars and clubs.....

In that latter category, he has a soft spot for not only the Ronettes, and Elvis, but also that band from Cleveland.....

Not a total surprise....but well-done.....way to go Bruce!!

Ironically, I have this vinyl copy of "The River" that has been sitting here collecting dust. Damn, one of the first things I am going to do is slap it on my turntable once I find it!!

That's my post from the r.m.a.s, Bernie.

smile

I am really tempted to go to the A.C. show, now. I've got another trip not long before that so I was going to be fiscally responsible and pass on it. But with Bruce repeatedly gushing about the Raspberries, A.C. being so close to his home, no tour dates for him scheduled then and his history of joining any band from U2 down to some local bar band onstage, there could be an extra bonus that night I would regret missing.

Now if I can convince the wife I'm not there to gamble.

To my knowledge, none of the Raspberries are running for any government office, or out to "win" anything, but certainly would enjoy re-recognition -- maybe the Springsteen camp loses politically, but the candidates certainly get the recognition that he's backing them ... isn't that what really matters here?

He mentions the Raspberries on stage for thirty seconds and that is supposed to be some magnanamous gesture?...Why not over the years, let Berries/Carmen be an opening act?...Record with them?...Record one of their songs?...Put money in their pockets?...Good thing he didnt then maybe we wouldnt have room to hear the earth shattering genius of 10th avenue freezout?...Or maybe he would have had to sacrifice a royalty sheckle or two?...Maybe tomorrow, he'll through a quarter into a blind mans cup and thinks that he is a great humanitarian...By the way, how was Mr. Magnanomous' spot on LIVE 8?...I seemed to have missed it...OH OH OH, I'm on Fire...As startling as anything on Sgt. Pepper?

Lew in response to your post:

"...Why not over the years, let Berries/Carmen be an opening act.."

First of all, when Bruce's career started picking up steam (1974), the 'berries were breaking up. So much for getting them to open up a show for him. Bruce has not had an opening act since about 1974 when Anne Murray was the opening act for him in Central Park.

Marvin

For what it's worth-and this is my world view-I have no basis for this-Bruce- like most people especially celebrities-like to be hip, and are influenced by trends-I'm sure there's the "It's cool now to mention the Raspberries" factor. But as was mentioned-this is the guy who did really nice stuff for Gary U.S. Bonds simply because Quarter To Three(which by the way is still better by Gary than by Clarence on the Ringo 3 cd set) and Gary's other stuff gave young Bruce the kind of chills this whole reunion is giving all of us. IRA-EDISON N.J.

It may be 'cool' to mention the Raspberries at this point in time, but I can only guess that Bruce is doing it now because the band is an active unit. Go over to the Springsteen message board and you'll find a bunch of people asking "Who?" when I mention the band. If Bruce or any major artist can break the band to a new audience, whatever the motive might be, I say more power to him/her/them.

Marv

When a "hip" artist mentions they like a particular artist, their fans will take a look at that artist.....even if it is from a total different musical sphere.

Case in point is the Stone Temple Pilots.....in the guitar publications, they mention their admiration for Glen Campbell. What happens next, is that you get some of the STP crowd showing up when Campbell comes to play.

The Springsteen/Raspberries thing could similar, but bigger due to the fact that stylistically, they are closer than the STP/Campbell connection.

Oh Lew...sarcastic much??

I don't think Bruce was out to make any magnanimous gestures...maybe he's just doing this now because, heck, the band is back together..and it's hard to have a band as your opening act when they are BROKEN UP, isn't it???? And let's face it--him and Eric together on a bill always would have been a hard sell, because of Eric's being unfairly tagged with that "Barry Manilow" reputation. And I seriously doubt that Bruce has some insidious reason for not recording any cover versions of the Berries' songs that has anything to do with "sacrificing a royalty sheckle (sic) or two"...

Hey, it's your right not to like Springsteen, but you seem to flat-out hate the guy or think he's evil--otherwise you wouldn't have such sarcasm about calling him a "humanitarian." Do the 'Berries really need "humanitarianism" from him anyway? I mean, it's not like they're homeless and out on the streets...passing on the word about how good they are wouldn't count as "humanitarianism" anyway...

As for him not playing at Live 8...big deal. I don't think Live 8 did that much to really help people, anyway. (I know that's probably blasphemy to some people, but so there.)