NEW MP3s!

Raspbernie

Holy *$%#! What an incredible song! I always thought that Everything needed a little more, like another verse or two. (But who the hell am I, right? wink ) That's a tragedy that it was never released, but what a treat! Basically we've discovered... no, been given... a new Eric song tonight! Thanks again Bernie... and Eric of course!

Awesome stuff, Bernie. EC.com continues to show the way when it comes to sites devoted to artists.... Loved your "Bang" write-up. Very clever. Gracias!

PS: I love "Nowhere to Hide." Yvonne's version sure is different.... I like it, but of course the original is king. In fact, just two weeks ago, the damn thing caused me to get a speeding ticket. Seriously. "Nowhere to Hide"? Yep. Normally it's the head-banging songs that get you going a little too fast. But that night, I was driving across NY state to visit my folks, my two little daughters were in the back seat sleeping away, my wife was back home, it was a beautifully clear night (around 1 a.m., actually), the roads were dry, and I was keeping the car at around 70-72 mph, as I always do, knowing that police give you around 5-7 miles beyond the speed limit. My girls had fallen asleep four hours earlier, so I had turned off the Monsters Inc. DVD and treated myself to a Raspberries-fest, followed by the Boats album. When "NTH" came on, I just got lost in it. ("Half-forgotten fragments of a high-school dance/In the dead white hours of winter...") Next thing I knew, the speedometer was at 80. It was only for a few moments, but that's all it took, because a trooper pulled me over. Damn. Nowhere to hide, indeed. I had a spot-clean license, too. Mea culpa.

I always liked the Bang story and actually wondered why more of that didn't happen with the boys over the years (although they did add hand claps to a John Lennon produced Harry Nilsson tune). That's one of the reasons why I was so surprised when I discovered this photo. Can you see what Wally's T-shirt says? I guess he picked up a souvenir at their session :-)

Bernie

Well , I think the "Everything" recording could have been dynamite, but Keith's vocal is less than stellar and doesn't do it justice. Maybe it was never released because of the poor performance...In my opinion, "Everything" is one of Eric best, and I always wished it were longer...well....here we are!!! Thanks Bernie.

bahooey

"Everything" has always been one of my favourites too. I just love that kind of piano playing that only Eric can do and for me, it followed in the same vein as "Starting Over" and was a link to the "sound" from the SO album.

Short though the original is, it is a crystal clear nugget of EC perfection, although I was fascinated to hear this extended version and how well the song stands up with the added segments. Would love to hear Eric singing it though.

Funny how the line - ".....like the light in a MAN's eyes" in NTH offends the sensibilities though!!

Where do you keep finding this amazing stuff Bernie?

Hey Bernie, didn't Eric do a duet with Louise Mandrell on the same LP where she covered "Maybe My Baby"? I heard about it way too late to find the album but would love to hear that song. I knew about "MMB" and actually bought her single of it. Wasn't too bad, but I regret I wasn't in "country mode" when the LP was released originally!

That is, assuming, "the request lines are open!"

cool

Great clips all, Bernie!

It's not among the clips (since Eric doesn't sing or play on it, of course), but to change the topic slightly, my favorite cover of an Eric song is by Frankie Valli and it's "I Need You" (he also cut "Boats Against The Current" and put both covers on his 1977 LP "Lady Put The Light Out").

I remember reading an article by Jim Girard in "Hit Parader" where he noted that Eric had written "I Need You" so it was tailor-made for Frankie Valli's vocal-style: I think Eric nailed Frankie's style perfectly and I really like Frankie's version (shoot me: I loved Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons).

Though it didn't chart for Frankie (it did chart for the Euclid Beach Band two years later), I remember Frankie introducing the tune on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" as "written by a contemporary artist named Eric Carmen," which blew me away.

Don smile

Now digging out Valli's "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" to listen to (sigh) --- man, I bet Eric could nail that tune with it's "I love you baaaa-by" line...