Another Almost Soundalike

• 2 weeks later...

Marvin: Have you heard of the song "Make My Life A Little Bit Brighter" by the Canadian group Chester back in 1973? The song was released on Bell Records but the song did not hit the Billboard Hot 100 or Bubbled Under The Hot 100 Chart in the U.S.. That song also reminds me of "Storybook Love" by The Partridge Family on the "Notebook" CD back in 1972 on Bell Records reissued on Buddha Records back in 2000 which is now BMG Worldwide because Buddha was sold to BMG this year. Both of those songs sound like a clock ticking or a woodblock or something. Matt

Boy! I'd love to hear that Chester song. Isn't it great to be on a board where you don't have to be ashamed to say you like the Partridge Family. They are in my top 5 favorite artists. (though I will only admit that here) Sometimes I wonder if there isn't something wrong with me. Liking the Partridge Family, Barry Manilow, Uriah Heep, UFO, Alice Cooper, The Robert DeCormier Singers, Survivor, ELO ...What a weird combination!

Ah Chester's "Make My Life A Little Bit Brighter"! Matthew you have a way of ringing the old nostalgic bells! Not only do I know the song, but I have the 45, and about 25 years ago, that song was in the repertoire of one of the bands that I was in!

Marvin

I heard the song "Make My Life A Little Bit Brighter" by Chester for the first time back in 1998 on "Classic Gold" AM 630 CFCO in Chatham, Ontario. I can still hear that AM station when i'm driving in my 2000 dark green Metro. I wonder if that station has a strong antenna? I can hear that station as far as West Branch, Clare, Coldwater among other places in Michigan. I listened to that station in Oscoda, MI but the station fades out. Matt

Yes indeed Bernie. Uriah Heep did do a song entitled Sunrise. It was the first cut off of their "Magicians Birthday" album. It's a coincidence that I just found the original lyric sheet that came with that LP, and it is sitting right in front of me. Of course, I have since purchased the CD.

Do you remember the song "Sweet Talkin' Guy" by the Chiffons from 1966? That song reminds me of the theme from "The Bugaloos" (Sid & Marty Krofft Saturday morning series) from 1970-1971. That Bugaloos song was written by Charles Fox & Norman Gimbel who also did theme songs to "Love, American Style", "Happy Days" & "Laverne & Shirley" (Making Our Dreams Come True) back then. That Bugaloos show was the first time I saw Saturday morning shows back in 1972 when NBC showed the reruns. I also saw Scobby-Doo, Speed Buggy (not Speed Racer), Lidsville, Pink Panther among others when I was a child. Matt

I'm wondering if Marvin is aware of a Canadian pop group called Seadog that had a (I'm guessing) minor hit in '72/'73 called "Holding Your Hand" (I believe that was the title). Very 'Fresh-Raspberries'-esque and I've been trying to locate it ever since (we used to spend summers on Lake Ontario and were forever glued to CKLC in Kingston, which played great Canadian pop by acts like Craig Ruhnke, A Foot in Coldwater, Octavian, April Wine, Ian Thomas, and, of course, the steller Michel Pagliaro...ah, those were the (summer) days!

Bob I'm familiar with all the acts that you mention except Seadog. Some (April Wine, Michel Pagilaro) were bigger than others (Craig Ruhnke, A Foot In Cold Water, Octavian), but they all had hits on the Canadian charts in the 1970's, and in the case of April Wine, still around today and releasing music.

Regards,

Marvin

My dad Floyd used to live in Tawas City, MI because he had a house that he used to live but it has been sold two years ago. The house where my dad used to live was near the Big Boy Restaurant on U.S. 23 in the corner. I do remember CKLW FM in the 80's when my brother Mike & my late grandma was listening in the car in the Ohio Turnpike. Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

While we are pulling obscure ones from the hat, I have been searching for a song for years and have no idea what the title is or who sings it...it was a minor hit that I heard a handful of times on WICC in Bridgeport, Ct. around 72-73 or 1074...It was a midtempo song(Pop) with a guy singig "Dreamin about your voice on the Phone"...That is the only thing I remember other than the fact that I think, that the group had only one word as its name...A lot to go on, huh...Any possibilities?

I used to hear CKLW when visiting my cousins in Michigan.

While on the subject of "emulations"(shall we say)......I always thought that the chorus of Kenny Rogers' "She Believes In Me" is a rip-off of

Bread's "Lost Without Your Love".

Even more so, Bon Jovi's "Keeping the Faith" comes a bit way to close to Cornelius Bros.

"Treat Her Like a Lady". And I think Larry Weiss had been obsessed with "Sloop John B." when writing the verse(though not the chorus)of "Rhinestone Cowboy" for Glen Campbell.

And Barbra Streisand's "The Main Event" is a "double-reheat", at least stylistically... ...Babs emulating Cher's "Take Me Home"......which is Cher's attempt at trying to be Donna Summer.

Beatlebum

Shock Treatment is an all time favorite album of mine.Miracle of love And Someone Take My heart Away were also great pop tunes off that album.

Easy Street could be a jazz standard( maybe it is I never looked at the credits to see if edgar wrote it.