Raspberries Box Set

sterling

For some interesting reading, the Nov. 29, 2005 edition of USA Today in the Life Section D has an article called "Think Inside the Box Sets".

You may want to purchase the paper since it is rather comprehensive. Or go on line at:

www.giftguide.usatoday.com

Look for "Think Inside the Box Sets and click on

"Museum quality sets"

Things to ponder:

Couldn't the Raspberries have a box set of all their songs and include a DVD of old videos ..

Plus a small publication similar to Raspberries Tonight that is forthcoming. If it sold 10,000 copies at $100 each that would be $1 million dollars in gross sales. Is that too much? I guess $100 for basically 40 songs is too much. Is 10,000 box sets too many? Probably. So ok lets say $45 for 5,000 sets .....Doing some quick math $225,000. Oh well maybe the math just does not support the effort by Capitol or whatever. I look at some of these sets on the website listed above:

Sir Douglas Quintent...$100 ?? Excuse me but I think the Berries were far more prolific than this offereing for $100?

Ramones..$65 for 3 CDs and 1 DVD ? Not sure about this either

anyway I have rambled long enough..there are some great offerings in this article but what do all of you think about the possibilites with Capitol doing a box set? Could we all email Capitol with this proposal or is this a wash? I would probably purchase 2 of them. One for myself and one to loan out to friends to let them see what this is all about? What do you think?

Phil

Tommy Tunes,

My apologies for any knock on the Ramones. They're fine. I was just trying to make the point that if they can charge $65 ...couldn't the Berries do close to the same? I still maintain the Sir Douglas Quintent at $100 is a bit of a stretch..but hey any hardcore Sir Douglas Quintent fans out there that can make their case?

Phil

sterling... while I much prefer the Raspberries to the Ramones none of that matters. The Ramones are not huge but they do sell moderately. unfortunately ,Raspberries do not even sell moderately to my knowledge. for the past several years whenever I go into a cd store I am hardpressed to find any Raspberries in stock.

The Sir Douglas thing is a bit of a stretch...even if you include Doug Sahm's solo work, and Texas Tornadoes recordings...

People did buy the Yoko Ono, Velvet Underground, and Syd Barrett boxes. Although neither of the three artists were not majorly commercial, they at least were an influence on many.

But Sir Douglas Quintet was NEITHER big commercial entity or a major artistic influence.

Can't justify a box set at that price.

With so many different greatest hits versions out there and the fact that Capitol apparently still owes them money may make it difficult. I would think it would have to have alternative takes, unreleased, etc.

I agree with Tony. Right now would , just to get it out and keep the labels out, I would settle for a dvd culled and edited from their 10 shows, with behind the scenes, rehearsals, etc.

There kind of in a rock and a hard spot though with days jobs, and no label bankrolling them.

To sell dvd's outside of this circle, they need to get on TV, and a prominent song in a hit movie. Hungry Eyes isn't most fans favorite, but the movie exposure sure sold some albums.

Steve and Tony...good points, I agree completely. They need to get a DVD out as soon as they can and cash in on the market while it is hot. Some scenes from rehearsals and backstage,etc. would be great. When all the Berries (except EC) reunited for the Odean Show in Cleveland in 98 they put out a video that had those extra scenes in it in addition to the concert. I thought it was really well done. I know I would buy two of them for sure.

Phil

Well, the Blue Oyster Cult redid the first 4 LPs, remastered, with additional unreleased tracks which required mixing.This was in about 2001. It cost $65,000 which all came out of the band's pocket via royalties until it was recouped. It took them years, and they only are getting royalties again now. They are planning to do 3 more LPs so goodbye to the royalties for a few more years.Sadly I think the Raspberries would be in the same boat, and would only sell about 1000 units. I estimate that number because I am in that industry, and about 1% of what is released is where the companies make 99% of the profit. A crappy Mariah Carey CD that is heavily supported thru advertising "synergy" payola and crammed down people's throats will sell millions, but the other 99% of released cds? Less than 10% sell more than 1000 units. Sad, ain't it? Crapitol will keep rereleasing the same old stuff cuz they can, it costs nothing, and may catch on. Then they win because it's a pretty free ride. The same way bands get in movies, by appearing for free, or allowing free use of songs,The cheapo companies only pay for big big hits or stuff that's almost free. All these little companies out there press a thousand copies at a time & pray they sell that many, because if you ain't at mass market, you ain't selling nothing. No entertainment companies want to pay for anything, and every dollar comes out of the band's pockets first. They should stick to the DIY concept, I think this band could control their own destiny, move as many units to start and then be able to perhaps get more serious interest with a proven track record. I know of a number of underground acts that make more money than they would on a major, and don't have to deal with record industry numbskulls. You can press 1000 DVDs for $800 right now, even at $10 each that's $10,000

for the band to work on the next step, recording.

Just to make one comment about the Sir Douglas Quintet - Doug Sahm and his various bands over the years were FAR more prolific than the Raspberries. Just go to Amazon and look - including reissues (but not counting compilations), there are about 15 or so Sir Douglas Quintet albums, at least another 15 or so Doug Sahm albums, plus what, 4 or 5 Texas Tornados LPs (included a just-released live one)?

Now, whether Sahm's material itself is worth the price they're asking, that's whether you like the man's music or not. Me, I didn't get that box set because I already had most of it on CD.

The reason, BTW, for the $100 price tag on just the Mercury/Smash material (I think it's 6 albums worth of goodies) is the label. Hip-o-Select charges an arm and a leg for all of their releases. I got a CD from them of Howard Tate's "Get It While You Can" awhile back, arguably one of the 10 best 60's soul albums, and never previously available on CD, and it ran about $25. Hip-o-Select is a boutique label that deals primarily in very hard to find old LPs that were never released on CD. In the case of the Sir Douglas stuff, I'm pretty sure that just the old Smash singles in mono have been unavailable.

Some good points there Frankenberrie and I agree with Tony...let's just get the DVD out that has already been filmed and see what happens. I'd pay up to $50.00 for that, and so would most of us dedicated fans. Not so sure I'd spend $100 for the same music I already have on vinyl and CD!!!

Regarding a Raspberries box set...sure I'd buy it, but, aside from maybe some old demos and Quick/Cyrus Eire/Choir 45's, what would be new unless they also include solo material from the 6 band members or, as has been discussed, a live DVD or CD?

Their 4 LPs have been remastered and reissued a couple of times over the past 10 years already. There would, of course, be problems with the multitude of labels involved if they started getting into solo material.

I would, nonetheless, buy any box set just to help support the band.

I used to feel the same way about buying every Ramones anthology/comp that came out, but there have been way too many that overlap too much over the past few years. (Ramones-Mania, Weird Tales, Hey Ho, Let's Go, and Loud,Fast Ramones, to name just four of them.....)

I love the Ramones & saw them over 50 times. But what WB is doing with all the reissues is BS. They did one good set in 2001, everything since is just recycled junk, and since all three originals are dead (Tommy & Marky were not founding Ramones, they were a 3 piece band with DeeDee vox & Joey on drums) I don't care to give any money to a record company. That latest box set is an insult, you are paying $60 for all previously released footage & a comic book. This is a label that never supported the Ramones in anyway, even though WB OWNED MTV and could have easily put the Ramones into heavy rotation, they ignored them instead. Record companies suck. Even if you buy that Doug Sahm box set, the artist will receive probably $1 or less of your money. Most major label bands make about.80 per unit sold, with all expenses chargeable withdrawn upfront. I was tight with Guns N Roses when they started. My band was at the same level,

and hung out together on both coasts. Slash wears our T shirt in the video Sweet Child. They did not get .01 cent in royalties until the LP had sold

2 million units, at which point, each member got a check for $25,000. The retail on the CDs sold was in the neighborhood of $15 million, the bands pay was $125,000. If you ever wonder why your favorite band broke up, or didn't reissue better mixes on old stuff, save my 2 posts. The Raspberries can do this better on their own, imho. Hell, BOC rerecorded all the old hits in the early 90s after a dispute with their label, the Raspberries could do the same, and add a bunch of new tracks. Maybe

a free live CD bonus of the hits with every studio LP of new material??? I'd pay $20 for that, and the band could have the discs made for about $2 a unit!!! And nowadays, studio time has come down in price, what with all the home recording tools, Aerosmith self produced their last 2 LPs in their home studios.

Actually, having passed away several years ago, Doug Sahm isn't receiving a cent if anyone buys that 5 disk box set....which is a common complaint I've heard about various labels that specialize in reissues and box sets (among them Hip-o-Select, Sundazed, and even Norton) - that a lot of their reissues are done on deceased artists, and they don't do that comprehensive a job on trying to track down the survivors or estate. A dead person can't sue you for unpaid royalties.

What WB's done with the Ramones is almost criminal - had they paid even a small fraction of attention to the band when they existed, Dee Dee wouldn't have died broke in an LA flop house. Joey might have been able to afford better care or designer drugs for his lymphoma, and....well, Johnny would have still been a jerk, IMO. I also saw them well over 50 times, and never got tired of their live act.

Butch Walker is releasing a 16 song "Live at the Budokan" DVD with a bonus solo DVD on Dec. 13th at a sweet pre-order price of $11.98. I'm all over that! Butch is an energetic Springsteen-20-years-ago-like live performer and a top notch rock and roll singer/songwriter! He's gonna rock my Xmas holiday!

He's backed by Sony Music this year...

Since Eric mentioned on "Hangin' With..." that he would like to see Capitol put out a box set, he obviously doesn't see their previous problems with Capitol as a barrier to that happening.

That said, Capitol doesn't appear to be very savvy these days. Who in the heck is running the place?!

confused --Darlene

Johnny Ramone was kind of an ogre to the band, but there were days when he had to be. DeeDee was doing hard drugs during most of the Ramones run, Joey was a functioning alcoholic for years, and it was Johnny's work ethic that kept them alive more than once. He was also the nicest one to fans, and remembered everyone he met. That was the Mickey Mantle in him. Johnny was like a pro baller. I even saw him and Marky fight more than once, and DeeDee and Joey fought too. It was hard living in that damn van. You say Johnny was an asshole, well here's a secret Ramones story: Joey had Johnny attacked and nearly beaten to death after Linda left Joey for Johnny. This was in 1984 IIRC. Johnny spent months in a hospital, and never played the same again. They never spoke another word to each other, even though they toured at least another 10 years after.

Actually, I called Johnny a "jerk", not an asshole...and yeah, I know all of the stories about Joey & Johnny & Linda, having talked first hand with 2 of the principals. While most of the sh*t could have been avoided had Linda simply talked to Joey about what happened (in lieu of his finding it out via third parties), the fact is - Joey & Johnny couldn't stand each other prior to that...things just got worse after Linda dumped Johnny for Joey. Frankly, I think enough space on an Eric Carmen board has been devoted to the Ramones here....and, with obvious exceptions, I don't think most EC list members give a rat's ass about the brudders. The comment about all of their music sounding alike doesn't surprise me.....

Ok, first off, the Ramones and Sex Pistols are 2 completely different animals. The Ramones were a real band created by a few childhood friends. The Pistols were a product of hype. For the uninitiated, I would recommend Road To Ruin. Its more polished than the early stuff, but still hasnt lost the edge. The Ramones wanted to play like the beach boys, examine their chord structures, they are pure surf. They are one of the only melodic punk acts. I know most Raspberries fans don't care, but the Ramones story mirrors the Raspberries in many ways. They were also critic's darlings, and the bands they influenced like green day are among the top draws in rock right now. they lasted longer than the Ramones, but almost gave up after the 4th LP too. The Ramones were the top punk band, and punk has to do with the Raspberries, had they come out in 1978 they would have made lots of money as a power pop act. I found out about the Raspberries from a Cleveland punk band called the Dead Boys, and if someone with my background can love the Raspberries, I'm sure there's a few here that could also dig the Ramones. Musical snobbery sucks, listen to everything, I do. Everything good that is, not the crap/poop/pop that they push as top 10 "artists". For me, my love of music began listening to Johnny Cash as a kid.