Eric Helps Child to Read

When I'm Cool

My daughter has lived with Eric Carmen music all of her six years. She does enjoy his music with some particular favorites; Nobody Knows, On The Beach, and The Rock Stops Here to name a few. But the song she absolutely loves, loves, loves is Maybe My Baby. She wants to hear that song constantly, I mean in the car, when she's just playing, during supper, all the time! I had to put that song on a 90-minute cassette. That's it, that's the only song on the whole cassette, Maybe My Baby over and over.

Well, my daughter, who is probably average academically, has not shown much interest in reading. So I recently printed out the lyrics to Maybe My Baby (Thanks, Bernie) and showed them to my daughter. Now, THAT she'll read...verbatim. She'll read every word. Ahhh, success!

Do you think Eric would have thought his music would ever help a child to read?

To You ,When I'm COOL and your Daughter,ok

This is a story that I did 10 minutes ago.

The Land Of Razzle Dazzle

Starring, Eric Carmen. The Raspberries

A long time ago in the city of Cleveland Ohio a problem occured.

The problem was the city was getting low of fruit.

The city needed nutrition.

When a young man at night went to sleep he thought it was a good idea to help the city of

Cleveland,Ohio in searching for the fastest land of fruit to deliver from the Land Of Razzle Dazzle, Eric came upon that night during a dream.

Eric and The Rasberries flew a Raspberry ship to the Land Of Razzle Dazzle.

Eric said,"Ok guys we have to save our city and to do that we need to sing, "Let's Pretend"

The group sings "Let's Pretend" on their way to the Land Of Razzle Dazzle",

Eric says, to Wally, Dave and Bernie come on let's go, I see all kinds of fruit here".

Now you help continue the story guys on the forum.

Make another story to add here,ok

Matthew, I worked at Cedar Point during the summer of 1978 and I asked anyone and everyone if the Raspberries or Eric had ever appeared there. There was talk and some of the older management seemed to recall the Raspberries playing there in the early 70's, but I could never confirm anything. I had my family at Cedar Point just a few weeks ago. I can't imagine Eric NOT taking his kids there, since it's not far from where he lives.

I'm doubting that Eric takes his kids there yet. I was under the impression that they have the world's biggest roller coaster (or something like the world's biggest - I had a friend who was a librarian in Sandusky and that's all he ever talked about - except for the weak beer he had to endure by leaving Canada and taking a job in the US).

Anyway, back to my original point - Eric's kids are a bit young to be riding roller costers - they're more the kiddy rides age. It's probably going to be a few more years until you'll see him shelling out the big $$$ to his kids so they can go on all the rides at Cedar point.

Michelle (mom to a toddler, so I understand stuff like this)

Back to the original post about a 6-year old reading "Maybe My Baby". With lyrics like: "Maybe my baby's got a new lover, And I'm not supposed to know", do you worry at all about your child singing songs like this? I'm not judging in any way - in fact, my own son (a toddler) just recently started singing "It Hurts Too Much" and I'm wondering if it's time to take EC out of the car CD player and time to put in (Lord help me) Tellytubbies or Barney. What's everyone's opinion? At least he's not singing "Go All the way" (yet), but granny was a little shocked to hear "No, No, No, It hurts too MUCH" being sung by her precious little grandson. He sang it at Church the other day, and I'm starting to worry a bit.

Michelle

Oh my! I have no children, so I am certainly no expert (although, I was one for a number of years--lol), but it does seem as if these lyrics could lead to some rather interesting situations when uttered/sang by a wee one. I guess I would suggest not playing "All Through The Night" with any frequency........

Cats are so much easier! My little guy (16 pounds) loves Eric's music, but he only hums along.........

--Julie

Julie - I totally agree. I have 2 cats (my first children, I call them), and I assumed that if I could look after them (both are long haired Persians - one was a show cat - lots of baths, grooming, nail clipping, etc.), a baby would be nothing. It was true in a lot of cases - try cutting the nails of a squirming hissing kitty, and the nails of a baby don't look so daunting. Bathing a squirming hissing kitty is lots of fun too. However, once a baby gets to be a toddler, the kitties are much easier to deal with, no doubts about it! Getting a kitty to sleep takes no effort at all! A little boy high on chocolate is a whole other story!

Michelle

Michelle, I appreciate your thought about the 'suggestive' lyrics, I really do. However, it is far more tame than just watching prime-time network television. Even TV commericals are more racy. And right now I am just thrilled that my daughter has an interest in reading, anything. I'm pretty 'hands on', I'll explain everything in due time. I also feel good about the fact she has an interest in something that means so much to me, Eric Carmen music. We derive alot of our entertainment from EC music, either singing it or dancing to it.

I don't have any children either, but I had a wonderful aunt who taught me how to read and write (cursive) before I ever went to school. So I "knew too much too young." There were no children my age in our neighborhood, except my teenage sister, who was 9 years older than I, and her friends and they had to watch me all the time. Also, my father was on a baseball team (which is now historic in this area) and I went to every practice with him. I can't tell you how much bad language I learned, just by keeping my eyes and ears open. No one ever knew what was going to come out of my mouth when. I created an embarrassing moment when my parents invited a guy for Sunday dinner that my spinster aunt was sweet on. He never came back. She almost was an old maid! He was very prosperous. I was five then, and now I'm 56 and she has never forgiven me completely for it. Some of my kids in school do this for shock value. I guess it happens with every child sometime or other. Good luck!

smile --Darlene

I've had to almost totally give up watching TV with my little guy around. He's just learning words, so he's a little language sponge. Awhile back I flipped past an old episode of Roseanne, and she was yelling "Shut Up!" at one of her kids. Baylen picked up on the word and said "shudduh" all day long. He had no idea what it meant, and he hasn't said it since, but I thought Roseanne, while not meant for children, was still a family show. It's not "COPS" or something I know not to let the little guy watch.

My son is also extremely sensitive (must get that from Tony - he seems to be one of the really sensitive men on this site smilie ), and cries whenever one of his little cartoon characters gets hurt. You can't imagine the number of times I've had to hold and rock him and tell him it's ok, his little friend isn't really hurt. No way I can let this kid watch the news!

At least letting him listen to Eric's stuff, he learns about love and sex, not swearing and violence. I sound like a hippie don't I? MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR!

Michelle