Chic, Grandmaster Flash, Joe Tex or Raspberries?

Raspbernie

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having grown up in Cleveland, I can't tell you how many times I've been traveling back from Nashville and hearing people call the rock hall a joke. It is an absolute travesty to not induct a band like KISS. Number one Gold Records band in America. Period. They've influenced and affected pop culture more than any band in the history of rock and roll next to the Beatles. Sorry Aerosmith and my beloved Eagles.

Jann Wenner leads the charge in this disgusting display of favoritism. Do you know that in the history of the magazine, KISS has NEVER appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine. What does that tell you?

But as Gene puts it, "The fans speak. We're only interested in what our fans think of us. Rolling Stone still hasn't gotten 'it' to this day. But that's ok. Being accepted by aging hippies is not at the top of my priority list".

Paul

Maybe Gene and Paul should invite Jann over for tea sometime.

The HoF will never get respect because there will always be fans who are livid that (fill in the blank) is not in the Hall, while (fill in the blank) is in the Hall. You're never going to please everyone. For every upset Raspberries fan, there is an upset KISS fan, or an upset Hollies fan, or a pleased James Taylor fan.

Marv

Marvin,

If I knew you were going to make rediculous claims like the above, I'd have never called you those hundred some odd times asking you to come back on the board. haha When you take out all those old blues and the like, who never made a rock and roll record and probably don't even like rock and roll, then you can talk about Blondie.

Blondie rocks!

Blondie rolls!

Blondie even raps!

Blondie rules!

Blondie belongs!

'nuff said.

When we were doing Steve Jones' show in L.A. to publicize our upcoming concert at the HOB, Steve kept plugging the show and saying "They'll be playing Friday night at the House of Anything But Blues." Based on these inductions, maybe they should change the name to the "Everything But Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame". How do you put James Taylor in the Rock Hall before Alice Cooper and Kiss? ec

Hey Eric,

If you like Alice Cooper and Kiss and let's add early Queen and Bowie to that list AND you are looking for new bands to listen to, may I suggest the brand new album from a band fron New Jersey called "My Chemical Romance". The name of the album is called "The Black Parade" and it is produced by Rob Cavallo who produced Green Day's brilliant "American Idiot". WARNING: Don't let the cover scare you off.

Tommy I'm not saying that there aren't acts in the HoF that are questionable, but since this is such a subjective issue, you'll never get unanimity. Also with all due respect, if it wasn't for all those "old blues and the like", some of the later acts might not have ever existed. I'll take the founding fathers/mothers of popular music any day over some of the other acts that I can't understand.

Marv

I have no problem with James Taylor. I like some of his records and I even sometimes enjoy hearing his exceedingly insulin-inducing voice. But he belongs in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame about as much as Al Jolson! And they're just now gettin' to the Ronettes????

Weren't they a bit more important than Percy Freakin' Sledge????? Ridiculous! Inducting Kiss would bring more people into that building in one month than Percy Sledge, Blondie, James Taylor and his entire family would bring in for the next 2000 years. Oh, Honey, Grab the kids! We've gotta race down to the Rock Hall right away! I hear they've got some really great new James Taylor memorobilia in! And they've got something from Percy Sledge, too! Yeehah! ec

Eric-This is a total tangent.

I love "When A Man Loves A Woman"-But doesn't Percy get completely drowned out by the production at the end.

You can barely hear him sing...

"When a man loves a woman,

I know exactly how he feels,

'Cause baby,baby,baby...you're my world".

Am I off base-or is the end mixed (Is that the term?) poorly?

Thanks.-Ira.

Apart from "When a Man Loves a Woman" it's more like Purely Sludge. Its very interesting that KISS and Alice Cooper were semi-glam "theatrical" rock acts and neither is in. As though they're too "gimmicky" for the purists who vote perhaps? Hmmm, they had alot of wonderful records maybe that should count for something! Everytime I think the RRHOF is silly, or a sham, they do something to prove they still have some rock sensibilities. They recently opened a special exibit on The Clash, who could never be accused of putting someone to sleep.

Do not EVER claim that the RRHOF has any semblance of 'rock sensibility.' It (or they) would not know 'rock' if it came up and bit them on the balls. If the general public had their (or its) collective wits about 'em they'd stop shelling out whatever it costs to go through the doors of that fool house.

Percy Sledge had another great song song'Take Time To Know Her' which hit #11 in 68. Sledge and groups like The Dells [i say group because they didn't play instuments so I don't consider them a band] are fine but they just point out what a absolute joke the people who vote on the inductees are. The Raspberries...Cooper....The Hollies....Badfinger....T Rex...The Zombies.....These great bands don't even get a sniff. I'd bet not one of those voting members has ever given one vote to a band like The Easybeats.Every band I just listed is more deserving of induction than Tex,The Dells,etc.

Thanks for the warm welcome Ira.I'm a huge Hollies fan and actually am the owner of the original handwritten[in Nash's hand with Clarke's corrections] lyrics[First two verses and chorus]to their first self penned US top ten hit 'Stop! Stop! Stop!'which are on loan to the Rock Hall.I'm a big power pop fan and really love most music from the 60s-70s.I need to ask Eric about blowing the Rickfors led Hollies off the stage in the early 70s.

A) It shouldn't be called the Rock Hall of Fame. There are all kinds of blues, jazz, folkies, etc., in there.

B) But since it IS called the Rock HOF, it should be living up to its name, sticking with rock'n'roll artists who are the cream of the crop. That would mean a far smaller number of inductees so far, but... so what? Seems like the Rock Hall goes for quantity, not quality.

C) At this rate, the next few years will see all kinds of "undeserving" (for lack of a better word) acts get in. I heard that Air Supply, Spandeau Ballet, and Michael Sembello will be in the next class. (Just kidding!)

D) A Hall of Fame in any category or area or interest should be for the best of the best. If the baseball Hall of Fame, over the years, had done what the rock Hall has done, it might be filled with the likes of Felix Fermin, Joe Charboneau, and Buddy Biancalana.

E) If I could take the sports analogy a step further, Raspberries are kind of like Gale Sayers in football: His career was far too brief, but when he was playing, no one was better or more electric or exciting. He played on a bad team, so he didn't always get the attention showered on the Joe Namaths of the world, but even so, everyone knew he was great. Really great. Plus, his remarkable versatility (running back, pass-catcher, punt-returner, kick-returner) inspired all kinds of athletes who came after him. Football's Hall welcomed him with open arms. As the Rock Hall should have done for Raspberries.

There. I have officially beaten a dead horse!

I love Carl Carlton's version of "Everlasting Love" and his "She's A Bad Mamma Jamma"!-well-it speaks for itself.

Let me be the first to nominate "Carl Carlton" for a place of honor-in the Percy Sledge wing-of the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

Thank you.

KISS and Alice Cooper were innovators. In terms of influence, with the exception of the Beatles, no one has had the cultural impact KISS has had for the last 30 years. Love them or hate them, there's no denying that. I once interviewed Alice and he asked "How incredibly stupid is it to have my guillotine in there but not me?"

Until these two acts are in the HOF, it will remain nothing more than a duplicate of Jann Wenner's iPOD Playlist.