survey says!

LobsterLvr

This survey seems to try to argue with success, and one *can't* argue with success! Methinks there is a fatal flaw in the construction of this survey, and since I've been up every night until 3 AM (even on weekends!) constructing surveys for my thesis, Nature and Frequency of Musical Practice: Its Effect Upon the Development of Musicianship, I know what a good survey encompasses. (And this ain't it!)

smile --Darlene

i'm too young to remember what part of the year that GO ALL THE WAY charted (i was 11 or 12 at the time)...but if it straddled the end of one year and the beginning of the next...that could lower it's relative chart position...there are some other mega hits on that chart that seemed to be lower than they should be...so it could be that effect.

i too remember being disappointed about it being number 72. the record did not become hot untilthe summer of 72. it actually broke in Chicago before it broke in Cleveland. That summer was a heavy play of "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress", a CCR song, and "Go All The Way".

The WIXY 1260 was determined by local record sales, and requests (which drove the playlist). The TOP 100 was played on New Years Eve as a countdown to midnight, so I am sure it had an early cutoff. I however agree it should have been higher.

I'm pretty sure GATW was a summer-time hit, at least where I grew up. So it shouldn't be an issue on year end countdowns since they usually run Nov to Nov to give time to prepare the year end shows.

But then, for some odd reason, I seem to remember hearing GATW and IWBWY in the same year end countdown? (Of course we've already witnessed just how good my memory can be! frown )

The first two Raspberries albums were released in the same year of 1972, if I recall correctly. I remember hearing that the first album came out in April and the second in November, unless my memory is yielding to "early Alzheimers." That would account for both songs being included in the same year-end countdown. In my estimation, they should both have shared #1.

smile --Darlene

1972 was probably the year I started listening to AM radio in ernest, before then, I was a 11/12 yr old who listened to "talk Radio" and the news. Looking down that list, back then, GATW would have probably been in that same position if I did the list my self...I was into all that other bubble gum music at the time and never really thought much of the Raspberries! ...but my how things changed!!!!

Been ponderin' this most of the day. I think that GATW has become such an enduring hit that it seems like it should have been higher on that years chart, but if you think about it it would almost have to rank lower than any #1 song from the period encompassed by the year end list. Probably 35 to 40 #1's in any given year, and then you battle it out with all the #2 songs, #3 songs and those that hung in the top 40 for weeks on end... It's probably just sentinmentality on our parts to think it shoud be higher. (Now did it deserve to be higher? You know it!) cool

Good point paulie.

But what's still got me scratchin' my head is that while GATW came in a lowly #72 in Cleveland, it came it at #32 nationally that year (Billboard's Top 100 of 1972)! Having grown up just north of Boston, I'm sure local bands like Aerosmith and J Geils earned much higher status on the 'year end' countdowns on our local stations.

Dave

The band did not get any special airplay then. AM radio was on the outs and Cleveland FM was progressive. no room for pop music. WGCL and WIXY were the only two teenage stations and WIXY changed formats in early 1973. I do not recall the band playing it that much either before the album. It was just a case of bad timing in Cleveland. The second album got much better airplay, though.

What beachberry said is true, folks. It's not that Clevelanders didn't know anything, it's that back in the early '70s you could not get a Raspberries record played on FM radio until Side 3 came out. And many teenagers and preteens in Cleveland didn't even listen to the teen stations in Cleveland...they listened to CKLW, the Windsor powerhouse. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if GATW was actually higher on CLKW's year-end survey of '72 than it was on WIXY's. And that despite CKLW being a Canadian station that was thus obliged to fill about 20% of its playlist with Canadian artists and content.