Where does Eric C. rank within the realm of the geniuses of pop music....

IMHO, there are a few true pop geniuses who really set great standards : Lennon/McC; Dylan; Brian Wilson; maybe Elton; a few others. While one cannot put Eric in their category, I think it would have been interesting to see what Eric would have done had he hit his stride in the mid-60s rather than the early/mid 70s when he was somewhat overshadowed. Guess we'll never know.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Eric can certainly be plopped right in the middle of their league! He IS a musical genius. Musical geniuses don't have to be prolific. Musical geniuses don't even have to put out an album every year, or at all!

Oscar Levant was a musical genius, and an intellectual one as well. Levant was disappointed when a jealous Paderewski (whom everyone thought was GOD!) told him "You have no talent." Paderewski was jealous because young Levant could play circles around him, because he, Paderewski was old and couldn't cut the mustard anymore. Paderewski's false accusation just paralyzed Levant and he chose to do nothing but follow George Gershwin around the rest of his life and died after nervous breakdowns, and drug abuse, a very broken man. Tragic story.

Everything I know about Eric also signifies that he is a musical and an intellectual genius. For whatever reason, he hasn't produced much music as compared to the others you've named. But neither did Oscar Levant. And genius, he WAS!

There are musical geniuses out there who've never gotten anywhere in the music industry and of whom we've never heard. But it doesn't mean they aren't geniuses. There are people we'll never know who have IQs of 260. Even though we don't know them, they're intellectual geniuses all the same.

smile --Darlene

Eric's right there with who I refer to as the classic semi-popular "Pop Geniuses"... guys like Dwight Twilley and Alex Chilton (and Chris Bell), Pete Ham... what they did in the early '70s was create the most important moving heartfelt pop/rock music since The Beatles... Todd Rundgren was just a notch ahead... what any of them did after 1978, doesn't mar their creative highs...

Even though we've talked before about 'Eric's genius' and the fact that his music, although inspired by the likes of the Beach Boys, Beatles, etc., sometimes even eclipsed the original inspiration (see my poll: "Overnight Sensation" vs. "Good Vibrations"); we haven't talked about what might have happened had Eric hit his stride in the mid '60's instead of a few years later. Would he have gone down the same path if he had been a contemporary of Brian Wilson and John/Paul? Would his classical training still have produced an "All By Myself"? Would critical acclaim during that POPular time have allowed Eric to be a more prolific artist? Is it fair to even consider these questions? I don't know if anybody can answer with authority, but it might make an interesting "Ask Eric" question. Kirk.

Eric as Pop Genius? Is my list (Only people who's work I know)

1- Barry Gibb

2- Brian Wilson

3- McCartney

4- Elvis Costello

5- Bert Bacharach

6- Michael Jackson

7- Carol King

8- Bryan Adams

9- Sarah McLachlan

10- Mutt Lange

Sorry to say that Eric doen't make the top 10. You will note that I am NOT including the likes of Motown artists, not hard rockers...Pop music only. Eric is definitely in the top 40 , but not in my top 10.

Bahoo

Bach

Beethoven

Motzart

Elton John

Freddie Mercury

Frank Zappa

Beatles

Bowie

Hendrix

Eddie Van Halen

Eric Carmen

This is nearly Impossible to list musical geniuses.I really can't say what order because I love all of these composers and think they are all uniquely brilliant.

Mozart to me is the ultimate musical genius. After reading his letters, you see what a tortured soul he was, and how he suffered, yet wrote the most beautiful music that stands up over 300 years later. He also was a musical prodigy - playing and composing while still a child. Beethoven and Bach also rate up there, but they didn't show the same aptitude at such a young age like Mozart did. It's such a pity he died at such a young age. Who knows what great music he still had in him?

Of course, he might have had a few kids with Connie and decided to take a break from writing - like some OTHER musician we all know! laugh

My favorite of all musical geniuses is indeed Mozart. Michelle's post pretty much sums it up for me. Such pathos from a tiny tot--absolutely amazing. I do truly believe God favored him with a talent for all time. He had intellectual genius beyond measure as well as a biting and sarcastic wit. As for his personality, he was a corker!

smile --Darlene

Look, I'm a big Eric Carmen fan and he will always represent an important part of my musical being. He just doesn't have the catalouge nor the brilliance of many of those he competed with and followed. No need to list them all but I did see two names mentioned who I think ARE musical geniuses and are also my two favorites: Barry Gibb and Jeff Lynne.

I've always liked Jeff Lynne's solo album "Armchair Theater" and wonder why he's never released anything since. Too busy producing other acts maybe.

In regard to the Bee Gees, I must say that the sum is definitely greater than the parts. I've got all of Robin and Barry's solo albums, and for the most part they're pretty dismal. Makes me wonder if maybe Maurice wasn't the genius in the group?!

Marvin

as we look back......... i think jeff lynne will definately be remembered as a pop genius....barry may not because the perception is that the bee gees were a group thing. barry did have his time to shine as a producer in the late 70's and early 80's, producing with samantha sang, barbra streisand etc.

Marvin.......

Lynne put out a great album two years back under the banner of a new ELO called ZOOM. It was a true solo album however with Lynne playing all the instruments (although Ringo played on two tracks). He had actually scheduled tour dates to promote the album and I had tickets for the Chicago show (4th row!). Unfortunately he canceled the tour. You should really check it out. The guy hasn't lost much.

Better yet he also put out a companion DVD called ZOOM which had the new lineup doing a live show to promote the tour in front of an invitee only crowd. One of the finest music videos I have seen. Great production, amazing sound and covered all the hits, special album cuts and the new material. Jeff's voice was virtually unchanged after 20+ years away and he still looked the same (same permed locks). Well worth a look.

Don't get me started on the Gibbs. Barry only put out one solo album which was a bit of a disappointment but his songwriting talents with his brothers and for other acts (Andy Gibb, Valli, Sang, Streisand, Ross, Warwick, C. Dion, Rogers, Parton) are topped by a very few in this business. Wonder how many people realize that at the very heart of their disco reign as THE group, Barry penned a number one country song for Conway Twitty? An absolutely amazing songwriting talent who still hasn't really gotten his just due.

Stevie you are preaching to the converted about the Bee Gees. I am as big a fan as you will find anywhere. If you check the songwriting credits on most of the Bee Gees hit songs as well as the songs they wrote for other people, you'll find very few of the songs were written with just one Gibb. Most were written by at least two of the brothers, and quite a few of the songs were written by all three. No denying Barry's talent, but I still believe it was the three brothers together that made the unit spectacular.

As far as ELO goes, I have followed their career since the very early 1970's. I was disappointed when Lynne broke up the band a few years ago, but at the time, they had peaked and needed to be put to rest. I did purchase "Zoom" when it was released BUT was not impressed at all with the disc. I sold it back to the store.

Marvin

Funny about your dislike of Zoom. Considering the long absence since his last solo/ELO efforts (over 10 years) I thought it was an excellent album. Much stronger overall in my mind than Armchair (although Every Little Thing and Lift Me Up are great cuts) which was completed pretty close to Jeff's peak abilities. Still think the ZOOM DVD is worth a look if you are a fan of the heyday stuff. The guy was really in fine form.

At least we agree on the "merits" of Winter Dreams!