Beach Boy song EC should do

Too late now though Marv. Cruisin Music too. Thing is...I don't WANT to hear Mike Love singing Eric's songs. Unless Brian and Al did it...maybe not a good idea.

Eric doing a tribute cd to some of his favourite composers might be VERY cool. Problem is...is there a market for it? Rod Stewart's success indicates that maybe there is. Can't keep singing just Hoagy Carmichael, Rogers and Hammerstein etc. songs forever. It's all been done. Gotta move forward a decade or two.

Didn't Bruce Johnston sing on "Someday" and "She Did It"? It would have been perfect for him to bring up some of Eric's BB's-sounding songs to the band.

I seem to recall that "Cruisin' Music" was played during a pre-Brian Wilson concert last year. Maybe Brian will pick that one up.

Marv

Didn't Bruce Johnston sing on "Someday" and "She Did It"? It would have been perfect for him to bring up some of Eric's BB's-sounding songs to the band.

The Beach Boys had a policy to only do songs they composed themselves or covers of hit songs (no outside composers). Henry Gross offered "Shannon" to Carl Wilson to take to the Beach Boys but was turned down for tht reason.

Don't know that Henry offered Shannon to Carl. He wanted Carl to help him record it though. But Carl was not available due to road commitments. Carl did record other tunes with Henry though.

Not arguing the concept of that policy though as there seem to be no exceptions that I can think of off the top of my head. AND they did turn down Seasons in the Sun as proposed by Terry Jacks.

OK, picture this, Eric has covered Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson is a handful with that high voice, but one only needs to look IWBWY or LP, to know Eric has the same range.

God Only Knows is right up there as one of the most perfect pop songs ever. I don't know about you, but my perfect afternoon would be story telling in EC's Gate Mills backyard, then moving to the piano with a drink and a coaster, and Eric starts playing piano acoustic hits, mostly his, but my two EC piano acoustic covers would be God Only Knows and Maybe I'm Amazed.

Not to mention EC's solo material. I've died and gone to heaven.

Steve

EC covering other people's music? esp the Beach Boys? why?? those versions can't be touched! it would be like someone else covering a Raspberries tune - untouchable except as rendered by the original lads!

I always enjoyed Eric's cover of The Beach Boys "Caroline No" on the "Winter Dreams" album, and I've always thought Raspberries could do a stunning version of "Don't Worry Baby."

I don't think anyone could do a better version of Eric's "My Girl" --- still one of my all-time favorites of Eric's solo material. Eric's vocal is just perfect on that.

Don smile

I don't see anything wrong with covering a BB song myself. Some artists have had hits with them such as, "California Girls" (David Lee Roth, and featured Carl on BG vocals). "Dont Worry Baby" (BJ Thomas), and as someone else mentioned above I also loved Eric's take on "Caroline, No". Believe it or not, I was never a big fan of the song to begin with, until I heard Eric's version. It then made me go back and appreiciate the original version. Oh, and Timothy B Schimdt's version ain't too bad either!

Another couple of songs the band turned down were "Seasons in the Sun", and "Chameleon", a song that Elton John included on his "Blue moves" album.

Getting back to the original topic, I'd vote for Eric to cover "Do it Again". Think about it..., LOTS of Great BG vocals on that one!

Jeff

I Think he already did, EC just called it "She Did It"

I know this belongs in another thread, but speaking of "God Only Knows", check out this clip of BRIAN WILSON and GEORGE MARTIN at the mixer on God Only Knows. George breaks down the song as a "musical detective" much the way Eric did when Pet Sounds came out. George and Brian... tell me Eric wouldn't give his eye teeth to be in that room breaking down that song with those guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP1U3vhG4o4