Eric weighs in on "American Idol"'s Scott Savol

Trindy

I can't believe no one else in Cleveland mentioned this here yet--maybe I'm the only one who reads the Plain Dealer weekdays--but on page 2 of yesterday's issue they ran a feature asking "local people who work in the music business" to assess the most recent performance of "American Idol" contestant Scott Savol (who is from Shaker Heights and who keeps surviving miraculously each week, despite all beliefs to the contrary). Eric was one of those asked.

Find the story here, sans the picture of EC that ran with the original:

http://www.cleveland.com/search/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/111459938423620.xml?etoth

Constantine was labled a rocker (and rightfully so because of his bands background) but I thought that he had the potential to very Eric-like with his performance. People always mention how they wish some of Eric's ballads would show up on AI, but I would have loved to see Constantine perform one of Eric's more upbeat songs or even a rocker from the Raspberries.

i'm sorry but i have to reply...that"show" is the biggest farce on t.v.!!!it's glorified karaoke w/the three stooges at a table(the 3 stooges had talent though)..if they're going to do a show like this,make it real w/actual musicians & them playing an instrument & singing at the same time..what a twist that would be..imagine that!!!chris

Usually the top 3 or 4 each year have genuine talent. That girl that finished 4th last year (Short A.A. babe, can't remember her name) was a flawless talent, But stupid Americans didn't like her quiet confident personality. Clay Aiken has a great vocal quality (and can actually get airborne when he flaps his ears). Kelly Clarkson is still a deserved star after 3 years. Rueben can soulfully sing (and eat) with anybody. Fantasia still irritates me, but has a strong voice...

I don't watch the show, but everyone in school does. At one point, an instructor of my girlfriend who teaches vocal music (his first name starts with an A--Ali?) was a contender, but he didn't make it. I think it's great that one of Cleveland's own is still in the running. Simon Cowell just has a lark of a time being obnoxious. I love Paula Abdul, but people on the radio this morning said she really went over the edge with the crying thing. I think Eric gave a great comment.

Go, Scott!

smile --Darlene

OK, I admit, I have better things to watch than this show too, and I do. Yet I feel oddly amused by the fact that one of our own keeps surviving week after week, despite how badly he allegedly performs and everyone saying he's sure to get voted off this time around. He sure has lasted a long time for somebody who was supposed to go so quickly.

Hmm...Eric said "I hope you go all the way"...think there was a double meaning in that? Nah...

Simon wasn't "insensitive", just truthful. Scott is horrible and his continued existance on the show detracts from its credibility. There is a website encouraging people to vote for him because he's so bad. The worst thing I've seen this year is Scott butcher "She's Gone", one of my all-time favorities, with Hall & Oates in the audience.

I have yet to see one contestant on this program who has even a thimble-full of talent.

Despite the show being a bad showcase for cover versions of overplayed songs...

IT IS AMAZING TELEVISION... I tape the damn thing religiously which allows me to fast forward thru ryan seacrest & all the lame ballyhoo & catch the performances & what the judges say...

It's very easy to have a hate/luv relationship w/ Simon because he comes across like a cheesey cad whose ego was tragically bloated from success as an A&R guy-- the only good thing about the schmuck is that he's a straight shooter & many times he's the only one on the money...

Scott does have a decent voice but hasn't learned how to sing yet...like most of the contestants, which is the charm of the show-- A lot of them truly get their bearings & evolve... Some are dead in the water...

The one who shoulda been voted off is that kid with the blonde hair who gave one of the all-time worst performances on the week they did songs from Broadway.... it made William Hung sound good...

Some have a thimble-full of talent-- they can sing.. beyond that, none of them are truly exciting, although Bo Bice would be good in a southern rock band or a Blood Sweat & Tears tribute band...

I think all of these folks are very talented.Do I think Idol when I hear them absolutly not.

PoP Idol = the whole package.

David Cassidy is probably the best reference when thinking of a pop idol.he had it all great looks and great voice.

all of these people are fabricated from mass media exposure and will sell records based on that.I would love to see one of these idols start out in the dingy club scene and have to actually work for their idol crown.Thats why I hope Bo wins because he is the only who has been out doing this for a living.

I dug the "GATW" reference.

Joe Walsh was recently on Howard Stern's radio show and said (paraphrasing here): "If I was a young guitar player just getting started, I probably couldn't make it now because I would have no chance on a show like American Idol."

Sad, isn't it?

That was Anwar the music teacher - he couldn't sing confidentally in the lower range but his falsetto was real strong. He had to go.

Scott has an unsual quality to his voice - he reminds me of Aaron Nelville in that he has a consistently slow wavery vibrato.

I agree with Simon's comments most often out of the three - Paula can't be direct; Randi - I don't know - sometimes I think we don't hear the same performance. i agreed - I thought Scott should have packed his bags until Constantine sang.

Not a good performance, really, if i'm being honest here (put in a british accent please!)

annie

There is a site on the internet called "Vote for the Worst Contestant" which features a picture of Scott Savol on the opening page with instructions to vote for him. They are trying to sabotage the show. It's not Scotts voice that is partuclarly irritating, it's his attitude.

Annie, Thanks for clarifying. It *was* Anwar. He bit the dust a long time ago, but it was kind of exciting hearing my friend talk about how he was her music professor at Westminster Choir College in Princeton, NJ. So Scott was voted off? I heard this morning on the radio that he was saved.

I had best start watching the show so I know what's going on!

smile --Darlene