"Botes contra la corriente" ("Boats...")

LC

Here's a version of an EC classic I'd never heard: Camilo Sesto doing "Boats Against the Current" in 1982...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s1THnOeGww

I can't say I was familiar with Camilo Sesto (Wikipedia: He's "a Spanish singer and composer who enjoyed fame during the 1970s and the 1980s... He has sold 120 million albums worldwide.") But I do admire anyone with the good taste to cover "Boats."

The original by the songwriter is unbeatable, but it's nice to hear different readings.

Anyway, just an FYI for ya'll....

PS: Despite the "Botes contra la corriente") title on the Youtube posting, and even though Camilo usually sang in Spanish, he did this one in English.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, both of these are pretty bland to me. Camilo doesn't seem to know what his lyrics mean and the arrangement is vanilla and uninteresting--they even got rid of the "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" motif, and then it just wanders off into eternity at the finish with that fadeout...The Timmy T. one is kind of novel in that it's the first duet treatment I've ever heard, which is a fine idea, but not executed so well here. I don't like the singers much, or the way they chose to interpret the lyrics or what they choose to "hit" vs. not "hit"...The arrangement is more faithful to the original, at least, but ouch, that cliched soprano sax solo in the middle! It's like, here you are trying to get something out of this duet, and all of a sudden out of nowhere, in wanders Kenny G...ugh.