Little Cindy Lu Who

LobsterLvr

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bernie--I had always thought that "Cindy In The Wind" was one of those songs that, while written in 1967, was not recorded until later, during the studio session where Eric NEEDED to record some of his tunes to protect them. Don't remember the name of gentlemen whose studio they used or the dates, but if this song was in the batch from that session it was recorded quite a bit after 1967. 'Si' or 'no'--Kirk.

Bernie, 500,000 hits to this website seems more than a small number of Carmen groupies. It costs alot less to produce a CD today than ever, especially with remastering technology dirt cheap on a home computer. Some songs on "Boats..." would have to be remastered to give it a current frequency feel.

As for "Cindy...", just change the TITLE to "I Close My Eyes" or "Here Again" and you don't have to change much else. It already has a current enough country pop feel to it and the only thing that sounds dated is the "Walk Away Renee" string arrangement...which I love, but it could be updated if Eric feels it would help.

Eric needs to stop making excuses, and just update, tweak, re-record and release some of the gems he has already composed. I'll give him till the end of this year to start the project. If he doesn't get it going, then it's more naked protests from me and the gang in front of the Carmen Estate this Spring...

Well, after I read Bernie's long post I started to compose mine. After posting mine I see that Tony and Bernie have already beaten me to the punch. That's the second time that a question and an answer appeared before I could hit the send key. My post is a little redundant, now. Thanks for reading my mind Tony and Bernie. Kirk.

"He seems to feel that songs written in another time and abandoned still retain all of the baggage...."

I'm really not sure I understand that. To my way of thinking, there could have been many reasons why a song wasn't released THEN, but wouldn't carry that reasoning along to present day.

"It seems that Eric doesn't need to have any of his unreleased songs officially released. The fan base here on the web site is pretty solidly in his corner and also fairly small in number. Hence, not really minding whether his biggest supporters get to hear a demo or live song here and there is not the same as having something on an official release to the masses."

OK. This I can understand. If Eric doesn't want the masses to hear these songs in their current state, that is his right. I agree the masses wouldn't be interested in hearing these songs. (in their current form)

"Eric also feels that anything new that he releases will need to have a chance with casual listeners which means it needs to be more contemporary."

I understand what he means, but strongly disagree. When you try too hard to make something the masses will buy, you're putting to many limits on your artistic abilities. This is where you need the confidence and self assurance to rely on your own taste. Eric tried to be contemporary with Winter Dreams. Where did that get him? Even if Eric likes the material on Winter Dreams, I bet he knows that he could have made something that he personally liked a whole lot more. So by trying to appeal to the masses, he made an album that:

a) didn't sell real well to the masses

B) isn't one of the favorites of his own fan base

c) and only Eric knows if it is one of his favorite albums.

Some of these demos are very good. (I must say that Cindy In The Wind is my favorite) I bet Eric thinks so too. I really wish Eric wouldn't let what he thinks might be the public perception of these songs stop him from going into the studio and giving these songs the chance that they deserve. What does an artist have to lose if he makes an album based on his own artistic intuition? At least it is something that he and his fans can be proud of. Whether the public buys into it is all a matter of promotion OR just being fortunate enough to strike a chord with them at the right moment in time.

Ok let me clarify what I mean by "official release." I'm not asking Eric to find a record company to finance any solo project. If Eric's reasons for not releasing any material is because he cannot find a record company to show interest, as Tony and others have mentioned, there are many other options. Eric is astute enough to know that in this day and age, many artists make their music available for purchase through their websites. I know of some artists who financially-speaking are in a much more difficult situation than Eric (excuse me for making assumptions about Eric's financial status), but they've released music on their sites because they know that there are fans out there who want their music - even if it is only for a few thousand fans. I realize that any recording project regardless of the size costs money and if the money is being financed by the artist, in the end it is the artist who has to decide whether the costs are worth the potential lack of return. The hard truth in Eric's case is, he's got to do it for artistic reasons because there will most likely be no financial gain. The Eagles are a prime example of artists who refuse to deal with record companies and are exploring the possibility of releasing material through a website. Of course in the Eagles' case, there is financial gain involved. I guess I'm just curious to know whether Eric has even explored the possibility of releasing material through this site. Bernie?

Now on the other hand if Eric's reasons for not releasing material is because he thinks that the material is dated or not worthy of release, as the writer of the song, he has that perogative. There are many artists out there who would agree with this type of stance.

For fans like myself who've waited years for even a hint of new music, hearing songs like "Cindy" is a very frustrating experience.

Marvin

I'm not sure what my excuse is for being so dozy, but I only found "Cindy in the Wind'. It took me ages to get it to play right through, but jeepers creepers – it was worth the wait. I absolutely LOVED it to bits! I just wish I could hear it again and again and again. Thank you so much, Bernie! I think it's a crime that Eric has such fantastic tracks that are hidden away, such as "Devil' and "Cindy', when there are so many fans of good music waiting to hear and appreciate them. Maybe one day we will have a CD of the hidden gems... (but I hope that day isn't too far away). Good songs, old or new, will always stand the test of time. Bernie ~ please convince Eric to bite the bullet and go for it!

I could be way off base here, but it seems that Eric has always placed public acceptance of his music ahead of his own. In my opinion, there are only two reasons to record and release music:

1) to make money OR

2) to share your artistic creations with others

Song writers and performers don't want to be homeless anymore than we do, so it's crucial that they release material that they think will sell. So all the steps are taken to achieve that, and then you just step back and cross your fingers. Let's face it. In the end, doesn't luck, or "being in the right place at the right time" play a huge role in the determining factor of whether you succeed at #1. Eric is among the few artists who did it twice. After his initial success, he resurrected his career with Dirty Dancing. To think that he could do it a third time, is wishful thinking; not impossible, just improbable. So why not take some of those old songs, and rejuvinate them. Give them a make-over. Use your own artistic passion to write and create new material. As stated above, an artist can be so much more in control of the release of these songs through the internet. Keep an open mind and consider this Eric.

Nicely stated Craig. There's no doubt in my mind that Eric could sell a few thousand copies of a new release via this website, and once the word spread, who knows how many more? Now does selling a few thousand copies make it a viable financial project? Probably not, but I am also certain that there are ways of not falling into a financial hole because many struggling and new artists continue to use the internet for their releases.

Marvin

I count three grabs for the brass ring:

1. Raspberries -- They may not have gone as far as they should have but they did release four GREAT albums (Starting Over chosen by Rolling Stone as one of the best releases that year) and had a "Top Ten" hit single with "Go All The Way," something I'd guess 97% of other bands of any era fail to attain.

2. Solo career -- "All By Myself." Need I say more?

3. Dirty Dancing -- Both "Hungry Eyes" (#4 on the charts) and "Make Me Lose Control" (#3 on the charts) brought Eric back to Hit Radio in a big way.

3-1/2. If you want to count his separate success as a hit songwriter with "Almost Paradise" from Footloose and Celine's cover of his signature song, "ABM."

Bernie

Bernie to elaborate further on your note, the gap between "ABM" and the "Boats" album was too large. When "Boats" did come out, the first single, "She Did It" was not strong enough to put Eric back in the minds of the public - even though "SDI" was a fabulous song.

Secondly, we all know about the gap that took place between the "Geffen" album and the "Dirty Dancing" / "Make Me Lose Control." With a fickle music audience, this was way too long to sustain any success, and now, the gap since "MMLC" hit is beyond repair and has killed any momentum or resurgency that Eric had. Eric's audience today(IMO) is not the general radio-listening audience. I know that I don't listen to Top 40 radio or AC radio at all. The over-40 age group (most of Eric's core audience) is more apt to finding releases by their favourite artists through the internet.

Marvin

In the absence of any substantial EC news for the past couple of years (from the fans' point of view, of course, not necessarily Eric's, whose life is probably filled every day with the joys of raising his family), I have to remind myself that since I've been attending this web site, we HAVE seen some incredible things happen - the release of Winter Dreams (I know what you're thinking, Marvin!) and the Ringo tour. It's starting to feel like a long dry spell, but getting a new album out of Eric so many years after the Dirty Dancing frenzy, AND actually seeing him on stage during the Ringo tour were a dream come true, and both of those events weren't that long ago! Wonderful things are possible, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that Eric has something else in store for us in the future. Heck, he already does, with Bernie's and Ken's book on the way! I am quite grateful!

I'm with you. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think Eric would record let alone release new music. WINTER DREAMS was a tremendous (and pleasant) surprise! Then came his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert and the Ringo tour. All uneqpected little delights that had me dancing on air. Are there more surprises coming? Like everyone else here, I certainly hope so.

Bernie