So, where do we go from here?

Argee

This is certainly the question now. If this was the last show ever, I feel so fortunate to have seen it and the other shows I made it to. The travel, time, and expense have all been well worth it! The memories will last forever, but it sure would be nice to have a CD or DVD to reinforce those memories. I remember thinking as they were on stage Friday night that this is so INCREDIBLE that they absolutely must commit to a DVD soon! Come on, guys, just make it happen!

There are a number of things:

(1)Live performance on major newtwork TV(i.e. Leno, Letterman)

(2)Release of new material

(3)Live performance in a place not previously visited on this tour--(a)Japan, (b)UK, ©Florida,(d)Pacific Northwest, (e)Nevada

(5)Someone scoring a major hit record with a cover of a 'Berries tune.

(6)Placement of a 'Berries song(old or new)in a motion picture.(Or at the very least, in a soap opera....a "surprise visit to Salem" would be cool on "Days of Our Lives").

(7)Members featured at a game-show.(can you imagine Wally on "Wheel of Fortune"? smile )

(8)Capitol issuing a box set with bonus tracks.

(9)Release of 70s and recent live performances on CD.

(10) A songbook. Probably the only major band thad doesn't have one(at least to my knoweldge, only sheet music singles, and solo Eric stuff in a book, but no definitive 'berries songbook). Keep in mind that a higher percentage of Rasbperries fans happen to be musicians, than most.

Any and all of the above is certainly welcome, and in the right direction. Not neccessary to do all at once, but anything is nice....

Just a few thoughts to run by you.....

Billy.

Love your ideas! You should be "Doing promotions with John and Ringo" - (EC quote- Hangin)

The berries' on DOOL! I don't think "Alice's" is ready for that.

Wally on Wheel. "I'd like to buy a V, as in V-Neck"

My best bets are a DVD/Box Set release, another TV appearence with major net this time, and more concerts....

How about DC. There's a golf course here called "Raspberry Falls"- No S***. I'd love to take to boys for a round on the links while they are here. The Birchmere and the 9:30 club are great venues.

There are a number of things:

(3)Live performance in a place not previously visited on this tour--(a)Japan, (b)UK, ©Florida,(d)Pacific Northwest, (e)Nevada

Just a few thoughts to run by you.....

a) Live performance in the UK

B) Live performance in the UK

c) Live performance in the UK

d) Live performance in the UK

e) Live performance in the UK

smilesmilesmile

Nooooooooo, no game shows! Gene Simmons will probably never live down Millionaire. I watched thinking "he used to be a teacher, he should do pretty well"... NOT! I think he went out on the very first question... if it wasn't the first, it was one of THE first. He does seem like an intelligent man, and I'm sure the pressure of the "hot seat" is different than the pressure of being onstage having women throw their panties at you, but I'm betting he wishes he'd never made the appearance.

Billy, I think you covered every possible idea. My big wish is the box set from Capitol. Like, "Hello, Capitol--where ARE you?????!!!!!"

I'm sure these questions (and all or at least *most* of Billy's ideas) have been on the band's mind for awhile. Whatever they do, it will be a unanimous 4-way agreement, and they'll think very carefully.

A DVD is another of my fondest wishes. And, remember, they're still reading what we write. And taking it to heart and balancing it delicately with what they feel they need to do to "do this thing right," as they say.

While they're pondering, they MAY play a concert in Marvin's backyard. Hey, ya never know... I'll bring the lemonade.

PS Wasn't "Where Do We Go From Here" one of those big "musical questions" songs by The Spinners?

smile --Darlene

Could the UK make it worthwhile for the guys to travel over there? Is there a large Raspberries following? Were the Raspberries popular in the UK back in the early 70's? It seems like a good fit, since the Brits have better taste in pop music than the US does, but there would have to be guarantees to make the trip feasible...

...Like Roadie #3 gets his own posh London suite, with a complimentary plate of Haggis every morning! That ought to seal the deal...

Don't worry about the guys --- they know what they're doing. Some folks have seen the band several times, but there's still a lot of those 1.3 million people who bought "Go All The Way" to "get the message" to (and most would like to see a show like the reunion gigs that launched all this). I think Raspberries are being pretty smart playing small venues and getting good press right now --- things have happened so fast that there hasn't been a lot of time for strategic planning yet (I know the guys want things to be perfect for the fans and themselves).

There are many '60s groups that influenced Raspberries' songs that I got into because I wanted discover the band's the band liked. I believe fans of the stars now publicly adoring Raspberries (Rick Springfield, Paul Stanley, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Little Steven, Clem Burke, and more) will check Raspberries out as well, and the band's fan base will grow (I also can't help but feel that these artists will pressure the Rock Hall of Fame to induct the guys finally).

Ken Sharp's October 11, 2005, article in Friday Morning Quarterback (http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=115421) sheds a little light on the band's thinking right now. I especially love Eric's thinking on a new album when he says:

"It would be very interesting at some point if some brave record label said, ‘Hey, maybe we ought to get those guys back into the recording studio.’ I often wonder what kind of songs would we write if given the chance. You don’t want to go back and be a parody of your former self. I can almost see us going into the studio with someone like Trent Reznor as producer -- something that was totally modern, something totally unexpected."

My 22-year-old son, Eric, loves The Beatles and Raspberries ("How could I not, Dad, since you played them all the time?"), but his favorite bands are alternative acts like Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails and Linkin Park (my son really got into Johnny Cash after he covered Trent/NIN's "Hurt") --- through my son I've developed a liking for those acts as well. When I told my son that Eric Carmen had mentioned thinking of someone like Trent Reznor producing and updating Raspberries sound to be "totally modern," he was excited.

I took my son to see Cheap Trick in August at Cardinal Stadium --- free Kentucky State Fair gig sponsored by Fifth-Third Bank and one of the band's three very successful gigs in Louisville in the past year --- and came away thinking what a perfect match Cheap Trick would be for the guys. They're roughly the same age (Rick Nielsen is 58 and Robin Zander is 52), have their original recording lineup and Eric even toured with Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick years ago.

Cheap Trick (with over 40 gold and platinum records worldwide) has stayed popular by touring and releasing new albums/DVDs --- in the past two years they've toured with Kiss, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper and Def Leppard. I think a Cheap Trick/Raspberries pairing might work well (Raspberries would win over a lot of Cheap Trick fans, I think).

Seeing Rick Nielsen recently reminded me of Wally --- Rick likes to toss handfuls of guitar picks to the audience (even making the family gesture of telling fans with young kids to hang around after the show if they didn't catch a guitar pick) and Rick was cracking jokes throughout the show.

Rick Nielsen also made the neatest comment five months before Raspberries reunited last year about his definition of "power pop" and he mentioned a love for Raspberries in an interview with The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on June 18, 2004 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04170/333487.stm).

"Pop is good. It's not a swear word in my house. I like pop bands and I like power bands. I like The Who and I like the Raspberries. I never liked everything by anybody. I don't like everything by Cheap Trick, either."

So, after having tickets to see Raspberries twice this year and missing them twice (weather and health are issues sometimes) on this tour, I'll always have my 1973 Raspberries gig memories and hopes of seeing the band somewhere closer to Louisville in the future (Indianapolis? Cincinnati?).

My hope is for another deja vu moment with my son and Raspberries like the one I had with my son when we saw Cheap Trick at Cardinal Stadium (all by themselves) this past August. As a 48-year-old, it was neat to be at the gig with my son, Eric (yeah, there's a reason he's named that), watching Cheap Trick --- first real public event for me since my surgery in late June, so I'm sitting in mid-90s weather in a hot stadium with my son and a friend of his watching Cheap Trick. I had my right elbow on my right knee supporting my right hand on my chin, and my right foot tapping away to the beat. I looked at my son and he was absorbed in the music, smiling, and in the same pose I was in at that moment in time, tapping his foot to the beat --- blew me away.

Took me back to when he was little and I'd sit him down in front of a record turntable (remember those?), show him my vinyl record albums ("memories, memories"), surround him with speakers and listen to Beatles/Raspberries/Badfinger/Monkees --- identifying the instruments with him and teaching him the lyrics to the songs (you don't know what's cool about being a father until you're driving down the road in 1987 and your 4-year-old child is in the back seat singing along as the radio plays "Nowhere Man" or "Last Train To Clarksville" on the radio, and he knows all the words!).

Anyway, the first thing my son says after the Cheap Trick show, "Dad, we HAVE to see Raspberries!!!" My son adores "I Don't Know What I Want" and "Party's Over," --- so guys: you and your music are timeless, so don't ever go away again (you know, "please, don't go awaaaaaay...").

Besides, my son's hair is as long as Wally's (my ex-wife hates my son's hair length, which makes me like it all the more)...

Don smile

Raspberries and Rick Springfield would be some show and could you even imagine Eric and Rick singing the frantic parts together on an encore -closing "Jessie's Girl". (Please forgive me but I suppose Rick would be the headliner and therefore the closer-I mean I just read Rick is returning as "Noah Drake"(?) for a few General Hospital episodes-big stuff!) I was wondering-with all these acts praising Raspberries is it possible,though,that many have "Performance Anxiety"-fear of performing-and being compared to-Raspberries Live on a shared bill!

Could the UK make it worthwhile for the guys to travel over there? Is there a large Raspberries following? Were the Raspberries popular in the UK back in the early 70's? It seems like a good fit, since the Brits have better taste in pop music than the US does, but there would have to be guarantees to make the trip feasible...

...Like Roadie #3 gets his own posh London suite, with a complimentary plate of Haggis every morning! That ought to seal the deal...

Roadie No.3 can have whatever he wants (within reason smile ) ... Seriously, if it's planned correctly, there's no reason why a trip to the UK, taking in perhaps one London show, and another in Liverpool (thinking the Cavern here, just to slip in a musical homage to their heritage...), couldn't make it worthwhile. There are enough music fans lurking (and posting) on email lists, magazine readers (Mojo, Record Collector), and radio stations (Six Music, Radio Two, BBC Radio London, BBC Merseyside, to name but a few) to drum up PR and a paying audience. Personally, I'd love to see the band on a show like 'Later With Jools Holland' (which has just started a new series - maybe the band could enquire about the next one?) - last week's prog had Brendan Benson, Burt Bacharach and Goldfrapp, all playing live. You get the picture! Would be GREAT to see them on there... As DK said, I'm sure the band know what they're doing and I have faith that whatever they decide it will indeed be right for them. I just hope a trip to the UK is on the 'consider' list... smile

Susana, Ted and Tommy, I really appreciate your kind comments. I'm feeling pretty well --- Cheap Trick live was great medicine (though "take four Raspberries and call me in the morning" would be a nice prescription, too).

Susana, I fixed the PM feature.

Tony, Raspberries never had a UK hit and Eric's only chart hit as a performer in England was "All By Myself," which hit # 11 in the UK (Dana Gillespie (hope I spelled that right) did hit the British Top 10 with a cover of Eric's "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" in 1976). But the British pop press loves Raspberries, as do a number of British acts (one of the members of a British act, Farrah, wrote me that he was a big Raspberries fan; Farrah's a great power pop band, by the way). Hard to say how the guys would do in the UK, but the guys seem to love a challenge!

Don smile

Tony mentioned in one of the threads about maybe taking visitors to L.A. strip clubs......and I came up with a brainstorm based on that, while getting out of the shower.

The clubs DO use a lot of music, so why not get some of the DJs there to play some 'berries music?

Granted, about 75% of the music would not fly there, given the nature of the strip club business. But I think about half of the "Side 3" songs would be workable, as well as "Party's Over" and "Rock and Roll Mama".

I was dancing with towel in hand this morning, to "Ecstasy".......and I was looking for the pole smilesmilesmile

Yeah, that might be an idea.....

I'll be reading these posts closer another time. I just had this thought today: There might be a record company overseas that can put out some new music for the band. I mention this not knowing which record companys are active. But, I'm sure you can find out about their music, and which company is producing music. Yes, try Europe or Japan record companies, but find out if they have the same label, or a smaller record label over here that they work with. The reason is that you don't want to travel too much by going to meetings every week for awhile overseas, or every two weeks there. And, Europe; Japan are big music countries. They like so many styles of music, that I wouldn't pass the oppurtunity to find out through friends, or the web.