Los Angeles Show 10/21/05

marc_so_cal

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's the deal about me. I moved to Orange County (the OC) from the South side of Chicago about 18 years ago. I could never live back there as it's too good here in CA! People put In & Out Burger stickers on their cars just so they can scratch off some letters so it reads "In & Out Urge." Personally, that was the only thing that really amused me about In & Out. I've tried their burgers & fries a few times and it just turned my stomach upside down. I really don't understand what all the hype is about. Give me my WHITE CASTLES (AKA sliders) any day over In & Out Burgers! Shortly after I arrived here in the OC, I learned there was only ONE White Castle here in Costa Mesa, but it was closed shortly after I arrived! Bummer dude! Anyway, can someone from the midwest please bring me a genuine Aurelio's Pizza? http://aureliospizza.com/

Actually, they've got stores all over the US now! I grew up with this family from Homewood, Illinois and they make the BEST Pizza! They just opened 2 new stores in the Las Vegas area, but their still 5 hrs. away from me!

I think this Hollywood show is going to do something really great for the Raspberries and I'm really looking forward to it! Eric & the boyz are gonna rock our socks off and kick some arse! I can hardly wait!

PS: I like Fat Burger, got one in my town near Laguna Beach.

Marc

I also believe this IS the performance/concert of the century. People who don't make this show will be really missing out! Especially all you rockers around the LA area! YOU MUST SEE THIS SHOW!

I've been a pro drummer all my life. I did a 2 year tour with the Tammy Thomas Group on Playhouse Records (out of Chicago) back in 1988. Two of our songs held at #1 for 6 weeks each on the high energy top 60 dance chart. Jimmy Jam did our club mix. I will be watching Jim Bonfanti very closely as he has been a major influence for me. Thanks Jim! You ROCK!

Marc

If you eat at Tommy's, watch out for knock-offs. They've figured out about 30 different ways to spell Tommy's and the clones are out there in force. Actually, there was a clone in Hawthorne in the late 60's/early 70's that was better than the original. After a day at the beach my buddy and I would go there. Closed some time ago. Oh, and Shakey's- anybody remember bunch-a-lunch? They never made any money on me! Finally, if you're on the west side of L.A., you must try Tito's Tacos. Get them with cheese, and don't spare the salsa! Kirk.

White Castle is an Ohio thing. I'm sure Eric can appreciate that. There just so happens to be many in the Calumet region which is basically North West Indiana & North East Illinois. I remember Shaky's pizza. It was okay.

Another thing I really miss from Chicago is the Italian Beef sandwich with peperoncinnis (SP?) & sweet peppers. You just can’t find one of those here in So Cal.

Marc

Ooh! I almost forgot! I like Dell Taco (another CA thing) MUCH better than Taco Bell! Give me a Dell Classic Chicken Burrito with their El-Scorcho sauce & fries and I'm pretty happy! It just so happens that my town has a 24 hr. Dell Taco! Now haw cool is that? Good fast food anytime I need it! How did this fast food conversation begin anyway?

Marc

Another thing I really miss from Chicago is the Italian Beef sandwich with peperoncinnis (SP?) & sweet peppers. You just can’t find one of those here in So Cal.

Marc

OH.....MY...GOD! I visited Chi-town a few years back, fell in love with Italian Beef sandwiches and have also searched in vain here in SoCal trying to find a place that sells 'em (Arby's had one for a while, but it was a cheap, fast-food knock-off that tasted like a rubber plant topped with sauce).

Marc, if you're anywhere near Orange County, there's a new place that just opened up (yesterday!) called Portillo's. Apparently they're all over Illinois and they have Chicago hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches and other yummy items. They're in Buena Park (10 minutes from my office!) and I plan on checking 'em out later this week...

popdude,

At one time a few years back there were two places Georgio's & Luke's Chicago Pizza, that opened in my town (Aliso Viejo) and served the real thing! These people were from Schaumberg, IL. and they served the Italian Beef sandwich with peperoncinnis (SP?) & sweet peppers. Eventually they went out of business, closed up went back to Chicago. Bummer dude! I was in heaven when they were here! I'll have to drive out to Buena Park and check your place out! I'm kind of getting tired of all the Philly Cheese Steak sandwich places here.

Marc

Okay - so nobody's hungry here, eh? There used to be a pizza place in Franklin Park that had the best Chicago deep dish pizza, but the last time I was back there, I couldn't find it. Wasn't it called King's Pizza? Small hole-in-the-wall, but always busy and I think they'd been there since the late '40's. I ended up going to Giovannis in Oak Park on Chicago near Harlem, but I wasn't nearly as impressed (anti-pasta was excellent, though!)

::sigh:: I miss Chicago. Maybe I'll move back next year.

Hey, Hey, Hey, I resemble that remark. I hope HOB in CA is not one of those health food joints. I need my meat sandwiches!!!. And on another note I know only to well the Italian Beef sandwiches and in January I treated the whole crew to this delicacy. Ever since then they keep asking "When we going back to Chicago or can we just drive by on the way to another gig?"

Don't care for White Castle or Tastycake. Really like In-n-Out....only the mom-and-pop places are better, when it comes to burgers and fries.

I also am not impressed with the Krispy Kreme mania, although I'll eat them on occasion, I will admit. But never the second day; they are only good the first day.......they are awful the next day.

Dunkin' Donuts kind of goes in the direction in what I am looking for in a donut, although they sometimes get carried away with the candy sprinkles. Still, NOTHING beats a good donut at a snall shop or bakery.

Really like the sausage and sweet peppers at Portillo's; try to have them whenever I am in Chicago.