Celine Dion On Oprah Tonight!

CubbiefanMike

Michael Crawford has an amazing voice, but perhaps his most endearing quality is his personality. My husband audibly gasped at a Crawford concert (when he hit "that" note in "Music of the Night" - from Phantom) - and what a thrill that was to see him so touched.

David Foster's Christmas CD has Michael's version of "Oh, Holy Night" and other good renditions of favorite Christmas songs by assorted artists (Celine included), so that might be a good place to start. If the voice grabs you, there are various genres that he has touched - broadway, inspirational, lovey dovey, etc. - so you have a good choice.

Groban's version is nice - but he just can't hold a note the way Crawford can - and that capability brings OHN into another realm.

Anne

Thanks Anne, for the additional info. I remember when my son came home with the music from "Phantom". That floored me, cause he was into hard rock at the time. After he heard that, his taste in music changed, now he's into a variety of things. I've often wondered if he thought the Phantom was a cartoon character or a Batman imitation and that's why he initially bought it, or maybe a KISS wanna be, lol. I never had the nerve to inquire. Why ruin a good outcome.

Crawford is also a good actor (his career started as a boy singer/actor) - you John Lennon fans probably have seen him in "How I Won the War".

He was best known for outageous comedy in the UK series "Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em" --so you can imagine the controversy when he was chosen for the "serious" Phantom role. He plays a pretty good psychopath!

Michael Crawford, very interesting. Its always interesting to me to consider the talented U.K. celebs. who "made it" in the States (e.g. Beatles, Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Bowie, John Cleese, Catherine Zeta Jones etc etc etc ) versus the talented British stars who never did( Status Quo, David Jason, Morcambe and Wise, Tommy Steele etc. etc. etc.). Its always interesting because there are some awesome U.K. talents that, over the years , became big stars there but never really made it here. Its an interesting subject matter.

Paul Shaffer's imitation of Cher's version of "O Holy Night" is the best there is. Be sure to catch Darlene Love's annual "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" on David Letterman next week. She has been on Letterman every year for the past 20 or so years do "the best rock and roll Christmas song of all time". It always blows me away.

RE: Status Quo

I saw them back-up Foghat in 1976 In Cols OH and they absolutely tore the house (Vets Memorial) down! I soon after bought some of their albums and remain a fan today.

I never could figure out why they were on top in England but were basically an unknown here.