HELLO-O!!!

darlene

After reading "Ask Eric" today, I am amazed at how such an incredibly talented, insightful genius could miss the mark at self-evaluation! I think he's "right on" on his critical analyses of his music and which takes are great, but he's so WRONG about "really really hating to sing"! HELLO-O, Eric, where are you???? THE WHOLE WORLD thinks one of the greatest things about you is your VOICE!!!!! It's obvious if you really really hate to sing, that you have a TOTALLY screwed-up perception of your voice. It's INCREDIBLY GORGEOUS! If you don't see that, you're not seeing reality. Sorry. If you have this totally wrong perception because some record executive moron put your voice down, you're on the wrong track for ever having listened to him! Gold and platinum records don't come to anyone with a ho-hum voice, let alone a bad one! The range of emotions and colors in your voice are AMAZING!

Please wake up...

smile --Darlene

I'm with all of you on this one. I can't think of too many other singers who could pull off the split personality ballad/rocker thing that Eric does so well on songs like "I Can Remember" and "If You Change Your Mind" save for Paul McCartney. Eric's songwriting is only one of his hard-to-top talents followed closely by his voice. --Bernie

Well here, I have to agree with Darlene..(imagine that!) I like Eric's voice just fine...he has a great voice for rockers and ballads (Respbernie said it too), but I have to say that any "live" footage I have heard is better than most, but not necessarily better than other singers. Eric tends to be best in the studio. He also tends to write melody lines that sometimes test his high notes. Obviously in the studio you can try and try till you hit the notes just right...Live is another matter. Some performers can sing with record-like precision live on stage. Here are some of the most consistent singers I have ever heard Live:

Styx - All the guys are amazing and never have to change the melody lines because they can't hit the notes with quality.

Chris Deburgh: Like a record...spot on

Celine Dion: 1000 times better Live

Shania: incredible pitch and tone

Karen Carpenter: Unbeatable

Freddy Mercury: Incredible

George Michael: perfect

For the lack of precision Eric might have "Live" , he makes up for in performance , delivery and charisma.

I love the 'nasally' sound he has ....I can also imitate him pretty good...

I think his ability to capture the melody and deliver it to the listener with texture and color is what sets him apart from many other singers.

bahoo cool

I'm a huge fan of E.C. overall. But I have never been a huge fan of his voice. He has great range and a certain haunting style when he sings a ballad, and the cigarettes have helped him rasp out the rockers. But Bahoo is right about the nasaly thing and writing his songs in a key where he has to strain to hit the high notes.

I like plenty of other voices better than E.C.s (K.Loggins,McCartney,Elton and all on Bahoo/Andy's list...), but Eric is my favorite guy overall becuase of his genius songwriting and near flawless studio recordings. (Except for the too-slow beat on "Hey Deanie")

Oh my! I was just speechless after reading the "Ask Eric" thing. I too must echo Darlene's,

"....Eric.......HELLO!!!!" Good grief, Charlie Brown!!! To my ear, there is no other voice that has so many moods, characters and emotions. Rich Little would be the only entertainer that I can come up with that has as many colors to his voice as Eric does. I realize these things are subjective and not everyone feels the way I do, but Golly-Gosh-Gee-Whiz, to read those words from Eric makes me just feel awful. Makes me feel like we're all a bunch of idiots because we love his voice......

********heavy sigh........*************

--Julie (wiping a tear as it rolls down my sad cheek) crying

"Can deliver a melody with color and texture...has so many characters, moods and emotions to his voice...no one else I can think of except Rich Little...right on, Julie! WE shouldn't feel like idiots because we love his voice! WE know the TRUTH!!! All of us (who are, by the way, a highly intelligent and multi-faceted and talented group of people on this website) CAN'T BE WRONG!!!! WE know he has a great voice. HE just doesn't, yet. Maybe after this, he'll start realizing it!

smile --Darlene

There's a huge difference between not touting one's own voice (or not "tooting" one's own horn, so to speak)by being humble and actually saying one really really hates to listen to takes to see which is best. He said he actually puts off listening to takes right away, as if he has to muster up the wherewithal to listen. There are some master actors who don't watch their own film performances at all, though, because they are such perfectionists, they say they absolutely HATE to watch because they always think how they could have done it better, and some even say they think they are AWFUL when they watch. Unfortunately it is usually the geniuses and masters of an art who perceive their work as not good. How sad. I hope he can rethink this.

smile --Darlene

Totally agree with Darlene's first post. Totally disagree with Tony's. What makes Paul McCartney's, Elton John's, and Eric's voices so great is that all three are so distinctive. You know from the very first note who's singing the song. Remember the first time you heard 'I Wanna Be With You?" Chances are you recognized it because of Eric's voice. The first time I heard "Sunrise' I was in a record store on the campus of Syracuse U and I knew instantly that it was Eric's voice. I ran over to the 'R' section excepting to find a new Raspberries LP. Of course there was none. But I sure as heck didn't leave there without plopping down $4.99 for that shiny gold EC solo LP! (I remember shaking in disbelief the entire bus ride back to my dorm. An entire LP of EC! There IS a God!!!) I love his melodies. I love his hooks. I love his lyrics. And I love his voice. Dave

Totally agree with Darlene's first post. Totally disagree with Tony's. What makes Paul McCartney's, Elton John's, and Eric's voices so great is that all three are so distinctive. You know from the very first note who's singing the song. Remember the first time you heard 'I Wanna Be With You?" Chances are you recognized it because of Eric's voice. The first time I heard "Sunrise' I was in a record store on the campus of Syracuse U and I knew instantly that it was Eric's voice. I ran over to the 'R' section excepting to find a new Raspberries LP. Of course there was none. But I sure as heck didn't leave there without plopping down $4.99 for that shiny gold EC solo LP! (I remember shaking in disbelief the entire bus ride back to my dorm. An entire LP of EC! There IS a God!!!) I love his melodies. I love his hooks. I love his lyrics. And I love his voice. Dave

Dave, Absolutely agree with you. On the first note, one knows it's Eric. When I heard the Raspberries the first time, the group's sound was so distinctive, I had never heard anything like it before or since. I always called it "THAT sound" because it was so different, and I fell in love with it immediately. You're right--melodies, hooks, voice--he has it all.

smile --Darlene