Dear Diary...

marvin

I’ve been keeping a diary / journal for the last 26 years or so. Each night before going to bed, I write down some thoughts about what transpired during the course of the day. After doing this, I also read the previous year’s entry to see what happened a year ago. Here’s what I wrote on Thursday, January 25th, 2004:

Left Calgary at 12:30am for the flight to Toronto. The 4½ hr flight didn’t feel too long, probably because I was tired and slept through most of the flight. Arrived in Toronto just after 6:00am, went through customs and all that other stuff, and then boarded the plane to Cleveland at 10:00am. At least the flight to Cleveland was short (35 min). Took a cab from the Cleveland airport to the Holiday Inn Express. On the way, it was neat seeing things like Jacobs Field and the R&RHoF, AND talking about Raspberries with the cab driver.

After checking-in at the hotel, I walked to the House of Blues to get my ticket to the show. I could not believe that in my hand I was holding a ticket to see Raspberries live!

Went back to the hotel to relax for a while, and then later in the afternoon, Jesse Bryson and his friends came to pick me up to take me to Wally’s sister’s house for Thanksgiving meal. The food and company were great, and it was an amazing experience seeing and talking to THE Wally Bryson.

The entire day was totally surreal, as was the drive back to the hotel courtesy of Wally and Kay. Tomorrow is another day, a day I’ve waited forever for.

ENDQUOTE

I’ll let you in on tomorrow’s diary entry later.

Marv

Friday, November 26, 2004

The day began with breakfast in the hotel with Jennifer C., one of the people on the EC website. After months of corresponding, it was great to finally meet her. After breakfast, we walked around the city a bit, came back to the hotel, and then headed off to the soundcheck at the HoB with the hope of getting in – and we did! I can’t explain what it was like to meet Eric, Jim, and Dave, get their autographs, and to hear that fabulous music. This was something that I had dreamed about for 30 years. Just incredible.

I went back to the hotel around 5:00, relaxed a bit more, and then headed back to the club for the pre-show supper. It was great meeting more people from the message board – and then the show. What a flood of emotions! I was in heaven.

After the show there was a ‘meet and greet’ with the band, and again wonderful to finally be introduced to so many people that I had only known through email correspondence. A day I will never forget.

ENDQUOTE

Marv

If we had all kept a diary last November, every entry would sound like a dream. It *was* a dream, as I recall. I just couldn't come down. Even my students in school noticed it. And of course, I took every opportunity to educate them about great rock 'n roll!

Life events are cyclical, and a lull is only the chance to gather momentum for the next high. You catch my drift?(!) wink

There will be more "dreamy" times ahead!

smile --Darlene

A lot of my 'growing' has been due to the lessons I've learned from past mistakes noted in my journal. My journal goes back to when I was 17 years old when I was watching "West Side Story."

I forgot to post the entry from Saturday, November 27, 2004. Basically it mentions walking Jennifer back to the train station, and us meeting up with Eric and Susan and Jim and Barb. The rest of the day (R&RHoF) and evening (supper with Larry) at "Alice Cooperstown" just couldn't match up to the previous events.

Marv

First of all.....Marv..thanks for pieces of your diary of last year and all of the reunion "stuff". I am sure it is exciting to reread all of those fantastic and anticipatory times.

Next...James...you are from Illinois as I am. I see where you took an overseas backpacking trip and kept a diary. I did the same thing...many many years ago. The diary was a vital part of that experience that I count as one of the top 10 experiences of my life. What a learning experience and fun time that was! About 45 days total in Europe. Diaries are very hard to keep current. They are a tough tough excercise but can be quite benificial. And finally....Tony..I feel sorry for you that you have to belittle so many people who try to make a difference. You are funny at times but you definitely do not understand boundaries and have crossed another one with your comments. So I guess count me as another "girly man" as your governor would say. You both deserve each other.

Phil

Old Tony's just showing his age--he comes from a time when diaries were things eleven year old girls kept. I know--I had several! He evidently hasn't stepped into the 21st century. Tony, it's okay for boys to cry AND keep a diary!

Tony needs an encounter group. If he keep-a this up, he's-a gonna encounter Aunt Antonietta's Italian rolling pin soon! angry

smile --Darlene

I'm sorry...I'm really not that against keeping a diary, especially on a Raspberries trip or Europe trip. I'm just trying to get a rise out of my boy Marvin...So back off, silver-plated Phil!

I'm just thinking that if I had a diary, my snoopy wife would break in and read it all and make me explain "what did you mean when you wrote..." on every entry. frown

Phil, I've taken a few international trips but my highlight, like yours, was a 2 monther to Europe over the summer of 1992. It was probably the best 2 months of my life....I remember getting off the eurail train (my home away from home for 2 months) for the last time...the rush of sadness and lump in my throat knowing that the trip was over and I'd likely never return..

.....Think I'll start a thread on this.

RE: Tony, ya,... a major pain in the ass cool

Just kidding!,...actually I find his humor at times in the class of genius and underneath it, IMHO, he's as decent a guy as there is on the board...

...and you always have Darlene here as a backstop to keep him in bounds!