Long-awaited CD!

darlene

A (hopefully not fictional) scenario: Eric is working on a new CD, and as a premier fan par excellence, he wants to know what YOUR market requirements are. Please vote:

Question 1: I would buy Eric's next CD if it were similar in composition and sound to WD.

Question 2: I would be more inclined to buy Eric's next CD if it featured live instruments

When you are starving for anything from Carmen's Deli, you take whatever sandwich the master musical chef puts in front of you. Besides, if I ask him for some Grey Poupon because his creation is a little dry, Eric will get all sensitive and throw the carving knife at me. Hey there's an idea, Maybe Eric could concentrate and write more songs in a dark depressing prison cell. Bad for him, but a new CD for his fans. Yippie!

Seattle Steve, Actually I forgot there would be only 2 questions and 2 choices on each, and put out those 4 statements in the beginning, tried to edit the whole thing and messed it up. I e-mailed Bernie to edit it but he must not have gotten my e-mail yet. I too would like to hear the comments of people who answered no to the first question. Like most of us, I would buy anything of Eric's unseen or unheard. I know it would be good. --Darlene

I would buy ANYTHING with Eric's name on it,too because that's all I can do for Eric,even though his music has been giving so much to me. And his music never makes me disappointed. When I bought both "Winter Dreams"(Japanese) and "I Was Born To Love You"(U.S),one of my friends said " You are crazy". Yes I am. I'm crazy about Eric's music and I'm happy to be a desperate fool. smile

Hey Steveh I voted no. I am a long time loyal Carmen/Raspberry fan. I have taken hits from locals here in Cleveland that snub you when you play an EC/Berry tune. I gave rebates to friends who would buy his lps. I have the right to want Erics best. I want him to exceed my expectations! Just to hear a new album just because its his is not what I look forward to. If Eric is going to produce a sterile, canned,drum machine syntesised piece of plastic I'll just listen to his past music thank you. ( although I'm sure I'd buy it) ( I cave easily)

I want him in a smoked filled bar with his fans waiting to hear him play.I want a ONE TWO THREE FOUR ! with an opening guitar riff ( preferably Wallys ) blasting out a power colection of cords that give me goose bumps and shakes ! While Eric is the best at ballads we have all forgotten, as well as he did how good he can rock !

Just another album, I'l take it but lets hear 'come on, come yeah...Ooh...Mama yeah...

Jeff

While I agree with OK' to a point, I would probally buy a disk of childrens songs if it was EC's. Remember, if you don't have a major label backing you save money by doing as much yourself as possible. But if you record in Cleveland---how much would Wally and Jimmy B.charge to slip in for a night or two???

JIM

Jeff,

I agree that Eric is a great rocker, and I, too, love his earlier work with the Berries, but I think his ballads generally make me feel better (even the ones with synthesizers and electronics, etc.). I don't care HOW he makes his songs or even who helps him write them or who plays the instruments - it's his name on the CD and I care about the final product and how it makes me feel. I am not a musician, I know zilch about how to cut a record, so that makes me blissfully ignorant! smile

Steveh

I think that a new EC album would have to have the ballads, but I still believe he has to be a little like us, in that those old style Pop songs still cause legs to shake ( no Darlene, I don't mean just the ones where he hits the high notes,and you shake all over;-) If he does then slip us a couple of those and maybe something up beat from where he thinks music should go--

JIM

If I found an old home-made cassette tape in the dirt with the innards hanging out and it said "Eric Carmen" on it, I would restore it to playable condition just on the chance it might have something new on it I haven't heard. No brainer, would buy anything Eric put out. Period. Kirk.

Marvin, I liked most of Winter Dreams. But I think the song, "I Was Born To Love You" crossed over that fine line from being a solid romantic ballad to being just a bit too sappy/schmaltzy. You know, like "Butterfly Kisses" or "Can't Smile Without You". "IWBTLY" is still a decent song, once you turn off the gag-o-meter. I think my 76 year old mother would appreciate more than I do. Maybe Andy Williams could do a cover of it and make her day...

I would like a Live CD captured at a small venue.

As far as Winter Dreams.I really liked Top Down Summer alot.That song made me want to head West and cruise with my baby by my side.The rest of the album did'nt really stand out to me.

I'd like to see him head for his classical roots and do something more like Boats or the All By Myself LP.stu

I LOVE SAPPY, SAPPY, SAP!

I love IWBTLY. I can say that after I listened to the entire CD I wondered where are those couple of songs that really rock. Now if I listened and the entire CD would have had all rockers, I would have wondered where are the sappy songs. I would be happy with a little of both sap and rockers

Turn on the gag-o-meter!

Gag me!

I love that sappy stuff!

Gina