cameras at BBK

Robin23

I've been busy teaching summer school...to pay for the NY trip...ha ha! My question is...are cameras allowed at BBK? I have a small digital, and a regular 35mm. My sister said cameras were allowed at the Cleveland show last November...after she was told they were not allowed. THANKS...See you on the 23rd.

Robin

I just spoke with a Box Office person at BBK's, and she said: "typically cameras are not allowed. For the Raspberries show we have not heard whether the band will allow cameras. We will make an announcement at the show. If you happen to bring a camera and cameras are not allowed, just don't take any pictures or the camera will be conficated."

Marvin

Can the Cleveland concert use a Kodak pocket camera (which has 27 pictures in a camera) which you get at the supermarket or for instance, Ritz Camera which costs $ 11 or $ 12? confused That is what I use. I don't have Nikon or Toshiba cameras whatsoever. How I am going to take pictures with my friends from Eric's Message Board so that I can show to my mom & my brother??? Matt

Matt, I've taken pictures everywhere with "supermarket" cameras, and they've come out just fine. I'm sure any camera you bring will be okay. Wear a name tag telling us all who you are, or just stick a big white Avery label on your shirt that says "MATT CLARK," and I'm we'll all find you, take pictures with you and can share a lot of them later, so you'll have all YOUR pictures from the "supermarket" or Ritz camera, and many from people who have Nikons, Toshibas and other conventional and digital cameras as well. A "supermarket" camera may be the best idea, because I assume cameras will be allowed, but if they're not, if the staff confiscate cameras, all you'll lose is an inexpensive one. With all these threads, I don't remember if a concensus was reached regarding whether cameras will be allowed at this outdoor venue. ANYBODY KNOW? I'd appreciate an answer on this one too.

smile --Darlene

In regards to cameras at the Scene Pavilion on Friday:

On the envelope the tickets came in were the following quotes:

"The following suggestions will make your next Scene Paviliion visit safe and satisfying:

Please leave cameras and audio or video devices in your vehicle."

I remember so well at the HOB Chicago in January getting frisked very thoroughly for cameras and whatever else. Since this is also an HOB venue it would not surprise me if the same process of having the wand going over will also be done.

Phil

I don't understand the big deal about cameras. I simply want a few shots to add to my Raspberries scrapbook that I started years ago when I was 17. It's not as if I plan to market these "non professional" pictures. I have a simple inexpensive digital camera and a very old Nikon. I really don't understand when and why concerts started banning cameras. See you in NYC.

Robin

Once upon a time, you had to know something about cameras to shoot concerts (ahhh, the good old days :-) Only pros knew what they were doing, so very few people took pictures at concerts. As cameras became simple "point and shoot," more and more people did. That translated into more and more people using FLASH, which is something pros would NEVER use at a concert. Anyway, the performers started complaining about all of the flashing, as did some of the other audience members, so cameras started getting banned at shows. I don't think the threat of fans selling photos ever really played a big role in all of this, although I suppose front row seats at select shows might produce marketable photos.

Bernie

What most people don't seem to understand, or care about, is the effective range of point and shoot flashs units - it is 8 to 10 feet. So, if you are standing in a crowd you will only succeed in illuminating the head(s) of those standing around you. The flash will not reach the stage and is therefore useless. It only succeeds in positively annoying the artist(s). Unless you have high speed film with a zoom lense you're wasting your time and money.

Ted

Yes, I agree about the info about the flash cameras. I have a regular telephoto lens and have used high speed film at other concerts. I do understand that flash cameras are annoying to the artists, but on the other hand, many of us have shelled out big bucks to attend a concert and some of us simply want a picture or two for our scrapbook to remember a very wonderful concert. I know there are idiots out there who have ruined it for us by standing near the front row and shooting 2 and 3 rolls of film in 1 hour.

It's too bad that those of us who have common sense and do the right thing have to pay the price. I guess I should be happy that my husband agreed to drive 10 hrs for us to attend this concert. Maybe I'll bring my sketch pad and I can draw a picture...ha ha!

Robin

Robin, I understand you are more knowledgeable than the general population with regards to photography. I felt certain you knew about the flash aspect, but most folks don't.

If I was still into photography I would have felt the same way you do before I attended the first reunion in Cleveland. I can tell you from having attended the first three shows, if you're on the floor (most likely, all your shots will have the same perspective because you won't want to lose your place. Once you move, your spot will immediately be taken.

From a sound perspective stay to the middle of the stage for balance.

If you're not on the floor (moving around) and your taking pics you're going to be focusing (pun intended) on getting the shot and totally missing the music and the show. You have to ask yourself which is more important, some pics or the music? For me it's an easy answer. Ya gotta make a choice - IMHO.

Gene Taylor takes such great photos I'm glad I didn't try. On the other hand, if you have VIP tickets and will be meeting the guys you will definitely want to have your own pics. - It's your call.

Hey - see ya there -- you're gonna love it!!!!!!

Ted

Thanks so much for the post. I read it over several times and understand what you are saying. Unfortunately, I was not able to get VIP tickets, so pictures backstage is not an option. I will bring my 2 cameras and hope for the chance to take a few shots. If not, then, as you say....I will be very happy to experience the talent of Eric and the guys. My sister was at the Cleveland show in November and she said it was so awesome..it was like we were back in the 1970's again.

YES..See you in NYC. I can't wait!! I'll probably be somewhere in the back.

Robin

Ha ha on the camcorder post. I was thinking the same thing...my little digital has a video feature. The memory card will hold about a 10 minute video clip, so I asked my sister which song I should tape(if allowed) and she said they were all fantastic, so....I could flip a coin.

Of course, if cameras are not allowed, video cameras are a definite no!

See you soon.

Robin