How To Kill An Artist

What is interesting, thought CD sales are down, is that people are buying other things. Have you noticed that poster and T-shirt sales have been up? Of course---depending on the contract---

some of the labels are getting a cut of this,too.

CBS is probably the most screwed up entertainment company there is(I may have mentioned it before) All but put Rogers drums out of business. Watered down the quality at Fender and Steinway(until they regained their independence.

As for the New York Yankees, they had the worst teams in the CBS era. Del Webb had great ownership before, and Steinbrenner afterwards...

but in between, the Yanks had a crappy operation.

Several years ago, they cut a few knowledgable newscasters, to "cut costs".....only to splurge on Katie Couric???!!

The independent record labels are doing well, all things considered. You only need to sell a few hundred to break even on whatever was invested, and bands sell them at the gigs.

Oh, yes, Dar....classical music in the US always got the short end of the stick, as far as the labels were concerned. Orchestral music in particular.......

It is expected that there will be a small amount that would sell.....so, you've got 50+ musicians at scale, with limited studio time. So, this is a "hurry up" session....and in(most often) a studio with absolutely dead acoustics(which they are not used to).

Needless to say, orchestral classical music in the US really sounds horrible, compared to what it COULD be. Personally, I find that the Germans, Brits, Hungarians, Austrians and Japanese do a much better job at getting classical music right.

• 1 month later...

highwayangel, I read this post yesterday and it was food for thought! Eric's description of the music business was the stuff of which nightmares are made.

I agree that an artist should work unfettered! However, Eric also said (I think in an interview) since there are large sums of money to be made off of an artist, this industry attracts the scum of the earth (or something to that effect). :twitch:

Since there are large sums of money to be made off of an artist, this industry attracts the scum of the earth (or something to that effect). :twitch:

You ain't just whistling Dixie, sistah! Why did I just say that? How 'bout...ain't that the truth and in the last few years I have run across quite a few!

"In any business where you can make big money in a short amount of time, it attracts the lowest life forms who attach themselves to the talent," he says. "The industry has been set up by businessmen, and it's not stacked in your favor."

Wendy and highwayangel - those are Eric's words in the interview "All By Himself Among Musicians" in the Press section of this board in the year 2004. I don't mean to be so retentive, but it bugs me when I am not able to correctly provide a quote and to site the source. crying

I am aware this topic has been dormant for a few days but I just read the entire thread and I think it's not only unprofessional but immoral and heartless what these agents/ lawyers due to artists. Eric,your account of facts is an eye opener for those of us who have no idea what goes on behind the fame, money and glitter. I, for one, always assumed that once a person could prove talent and found a good agent to represent him/her, all the rest would come easy: the top dollars, the fame, the recognition. Boy! how many times I wished I had been one of them and envied them. Thank you Eric for putting things into perspective for all of us outside the world of show business.

Agents and lawyers come and go..your talent will always be there!

• 2 months later...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench--a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

-- Hunter S. Thompson

And on critics:

"Pay no attention to what the critics say: there has never been a statue set up in honor of a critic."

-- Jean Sibelius

"The most popular form of transportation in the music business is the bandwagon."

-- David Hooper

"Music is spiritual. The music business is not."

-- Van Morrison

"Half the battle is selling music, not singing it. It's the image, not what you sing."

-- Rod Stewart

Sad, but true.

:)--Darlene

Also, the music industry is always looking for a scapegoat when the chips are down.

Yes, there is a certain amount of counterfeiting and illegal downloading, as of late. And granted, a certain amount of revenue is lost.

But in reality, you can blame the lack of CD sales on just plain lack of quality material. Why pay for a whole CD of mostly crap, when you can download it at minimal(or no) cost.

Now, the labels are taking a different angle, and taking a cut of the artists' other income. Take the case of Katy Perry.

Her contract also includes t-shirts, handbags, and other merchandise----Capitol gets a cut out of that, as well as the actual music sales.

• 11 years later...

For the newcomers to the bulletin board, here's an interesting old post from 2009—started by the site's namesake himself. It's a good example of the kind of content in the nooks and crannies of the board... all the more reason to be thankful that Bernie took the "Going out of business" signs out of the front windows. :-)

Anyway, a lot of us have played Monday Morning Quarterback with regard to Eric's' entire career and the pitfalls (vs. the successes). If you read Eric's posts on page 1 closely, you get his own take about what happened vs. what might have been. Good stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1