It always happens

darlene

Tonight I had a symphony rehearsal for the NYE concert that kept me from going to the Cleveland show. As much as I love to play, I have to admit that I was feeling kind of glum walking into Patriots Theatre tonight. Although I enjoy playing, my thoughts drifted to the NYE show more than once. I was just grabbing music out of the folder and hadn't looked to see what else we were playing, when the conductor said, "Take out the Rachmaninoff, please." I thought, "Oooh, Rachmaninoff--well, *that's* nice, at least." It was the e minor symphony. "We're only doing the third movement," said the conductor. Within five seconds, I was playing the soaring melody Eric used for "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again," and my heart just lifted and I was smiling all over the place and feeling like I was floating on a cloud.

It ALWAYS happens...whenever I'm feeling down, some EC or Raspberries thing happens and dispels the raincloud. I was in a great mood the rest of the rehearsal. (Ahhh, I kept thinking!) That movement has to be the most beautiful in all of the symphonic literature. Playing it on NYE, my thoughts *will* be with everyone in Cleveland on NYE!

smile --Darlene

Darlene ~ lucky, lucky you to be able to play Rachmaninoff (apart from all the others you play), it must be a magical experience!! It certainly is gorgeous. I wish you could be in Cleveland NYE, although I know you will be in spirit, especially when you're playing Rachmaninoff! We'll be thinking of you. Good luck for your concert! smile

Darlene, if there's any consolation, the bookings for musicians on New Year's eve have been down in a number of areas. Here in Seattle, not all that great of artists being booked. Also had been talking to members of the Duke Ellington Orchestra recently, at the airport. This is the first time in years that THEY don't have a New Year's gig, and they are a bit disappointed.

To be doing what you do(and love)best, and get paid for it, is something that most people don't get to do. So keep that in perspective.

Thanks, Billy, I will! Even we have a shortened season. After NYE, the symphony isn't playing at this time. They may add concerts again, if finances look better. I'm hoping. So, Kazumi, next season maybe you can come to one of our concerts. That would be great!

Dave, if you want to come, I have a free ticket for you. Send me your address via private message and I'll get it to you. The concert begins at 8PM NYE.

smile --Darlene