NYC and Ipods

AnneG

Just a word of caution before the upcoming NYC show. Summer tends to see an increase in "looting" (fewer layers, more things visible), and Ipods are currently a very popular item to steal in NYC.

A 15 yr old boy was killed in Brooklyn last night over his Ipod. For those of you not familiar with what's happening in NYC - keep those Ipods tucked away and use different earbuds!!

Anne

Maybe I'm a pollyanna, but I walk the streets of NYC every day with my iPod blasting in my ears. I work on 42nd Street, I take the subways reglarly, and every day I see about a thousand people wearing iPods. I know of no one who's ever had one stolen. Don't get me wrong, Anne's suggestions are good ones...for ANY city! I just don't want people freaking out about NYC being some kind of dangerous place to visit. It's not. It's like DisneyWorld...only on caffeine! Come, have fun, be smart...and you'll have a great time.

Dave

Jennifer, don't worry. One out of every two people in NYC have iPods. It's gotten to the point that those who don't surely must be contemplating buying white headsets to use with their crappy old Walkmans just to fit in.

There's crime everywhere. New York City is safe.

Bernie

As soon as I read Annes' post, I knew Jennifer, you would get nervous, as I was aware of your trepidations. NYC (Manhattan in particular) is one of the safest cities I have been in, and I go to a LOT of cities. There are a few freakshows in the streets now and then, but they are harmless. I feel totally safe, walking from the area of BB kings (Times Square) to my apartment 65th and the East Side (certainly a mile and a half, without even a thought, which on nice days, I have walked in the past.

But Jennifer, just remember, homeless people are harmless, and some looney tunes people you may see on the streets are generally harmless. You may see some of both of them around Times Square.

I didn't intend to alarm anyone over the Ipod issue. You'll see people on every block with Ipods - happy and carefree. I passed along the information because it's always good to know what is 'hot' when visiting a strange city, and often knowledge lessens apprehension.

For those who may be a bit nervous, please know that NYC is safe - certainly if you use good judgement. I'm sure everyone will have a fabulous time and no worries!

Anne

Dave, I like that!!! haha

NY is quite safe these days. I live in Times Square and I always walk around this area even after midnight. So don't worry. You all have a great time in NY. But it's nice to be careful when we go to somewhere we don't know very well (just in case),so don't bring your diamond jewelery or expensive fur coats.(it's summer , you don't need them anyway laugh )

Kazumi smile

Just don't look or act like a "tourist" and you'll be OK. Mumble curse words to yourself as you walk along and don't look up at the tall buildings in awe ( a true sign you're a tourist).

If a stranger tries to talk to you, don't make eye contact, if pressed for conversation, say something inteligble but keep walking!

• 1 month later...

this is proof pozitive , all this talk of looting and iPod and cell phone thefts and muggings.. this is Proof that that 'my' home turf ..Long Isalnd and Manhattan, NYC i be herew en now for 29 yrs or so drew, over 34 ..YIKE,, all wasted that rent frown .. NYC is all a thing of the past NOW!..folks..were leaving NyC in Oct ..after Drew was here for 35 yrs and me 29yrs.. and well ..it aint the same nomore since 9/11 n BuSh n his cromnies of no privacy.............its now full of many NON Americans and wall st and dwntwn is mostly Indain people from India , taking many americans jobs away and many asians who think there superior are taking over, as well as all the poor people having kids . and roaming and looting on da streets of My Town!...its all this now and a City of thre past , thank god i/we were here when it was The BUZZ n the palkce to live, breather, eat smoke! and .well have Fun nd get much culure ..but sadly and a fact: its all over now, but hey ,yeah.. were not giving up our chelsea Apt. ..were subletting to our friends so shhhhhhhhh ..so we can come back Home very year or so for a month or a few weeks at a time .we like it in Cape May ........albiet, way too too many caveman like mentality thinkin non - sensical ILLOGICAL Bush republicans , but hey Noones perfect like us/me! smile