Drivin' Around and other lyric confusion

LC

Speaking of Raspberries in the car (see MP3 post), check this out....

My 3-year-old daughter loves the chorus in "Drivin' Around," but she sings it like this:

"Long hot days/We'll be catchin' the raisins."

My 6-year-old knows it should be "rays," so she gets a kick out of little sister's translation. So now, when either daughter wants to hear "Drivin' Around," they ask me to "put on the raisin song."

Cute, huh?

Also, my younger daughter picked up instantly on this line in "Last Night":

"I waited for the phone to ring/And when it didn't/I turned on the Carson show."

She thinks she got a mention: Her name is Karsyn.

Speaking of next generation 'Berry fans - my 15 year old son is a bit of a drummer and we have been having a debate as to whether Jim or Mike is the best Raspberries drummer. I've followed the line that they are both brilliant, but that Jim must have the advantage if only because he is on three quarters of the albums.

I played him "I Don't Know What I Want" the other night and he thought it was The Who! He was dumfounded when I said it was Raspberries and said it sounded completely different to other Razz stuff (I've always thought the SO album has a much heavier sound than the earlier albums) and that "this is pretty good isn't it?". High praise indeed from someone who thinks the world ends with Foo Fighters/Darkness/Franz Ferdinand/Greenday etc. I think I am on the way to breaking him in!

Speaking of next generation 'Berry fans - my 15 year old son is a bit of a drummer and we have been having a debate as to whether Jim or Mike is the best Raspberries drummer. I've followed the line that they are both brilliant, but that Jim must have the advantage if only because he is on three quarters of the albums.

While Mike is a great drummer,Jim still wins hands down in my opinion. I feel that Jim plays all types of music (ballads, hard rockers, pop tunes, etc) with such an incredible flair. I have also heard him play some of the SO tunes (Overnight Sensation, I Don't Know What I Want, Play On) and they are spectacular! JB is the best drummer in music...............

Quote:
He was dumfounded when I said it was Raspberries and said it sounded completely different to other Razz stuff (I've always thought the SO album has a much heavier sound than the earlier albums) and that "this is pretty good isn't it?".
I think it's incredible that he recognized the difference without knowing that there had been the personel change between S3 and SO. And he's right that it is pretty good! (to say the least!)

Several reasons I can think of for the differences, but most go back to that personel change. Scott brought a new dynamic to the songwriting and his collaborations with Eric would still play well today with newer bands. Wally kind of cut loose with Party's Over and he and the boys were obviously very loose for the "writing" and recording of Hands on You. While Mike's drumming style is different than Jims, he still brought a passion that was similar. I know many are staunch Jim fans, and I'm glad he's back too, but I don't think we lost very much in the way of quality with Mike banging the kit.