Those "Live at the Roxy" tracks...

LC

Wow! I loved "Sunrise" (uplifting as ever) and "Starting Over" (very moving as a live song).

And "Overnight Sensation"... wow! Man, Eric and the band were hot.

Hearing these songs answers all kinds of questions I've had.... Back around 1976, I was already hooked on Raspberries and that first solo album, but I wondered what an Eric live show was like. Of course, I didn't even go to a rock concert until 1977, freshman year in college (the ELO spaceship tour and, in early 1978, Billy Joel). But my roommate loved to tease me, because he saw Eric in Rochester the year before I started college. So he'd go, "Eric Carmen? He was the guy I saw open for America last year, and he was pretty good. You should have gone to the show....." No kidding.

So now I get to hear the types of performances I missed back then. Absolutely classic.... Eric's voice sounds pretty pure and honest, doesn't it? And "Overnight Sensation" alternates on my "Favorite EC Song of All Time" list with a few others, so to hear it in this light is great. Thank you, Bernie H!

PS: I realize others have heard these tracks before on bootlegs.... I think the only one I've heard is "Sunrise" --- isn't this the version Rhino used on its CD re-release, as a bonus track, of Eric's first solo album?

It's so wonderful of Bernie to put up those live performances so everyone can experience their magnificence!

Although the recorded music is fabulous, the live EC and Raspberries shows were a whole other world. The visual was an essential part of those performances (as we saw in 2004!). They were so personal (even in a huge venue), so dramatic and so perfectly put together. You had to be there to see Eric expressively put his hand up in the air when he said "I'll have my name in lights..." in On Broadway and see him sitting on the piano singing and playing guitar (while chewing gum and probably smoking at the same time! smile ), then reach down to the right and strike a piano key for fill at warp speed without missing a beat!

The spontaneity of Raspberries was amazing as well. The electricity was always so palpable you could cut it with a kinfe. That's why I'm not kidding when I say that while it was a once-in-a-lifetime thing to see Harry Nilsson and John Lennon onstage at that Raspberries concert in Central Park, I was even more excited to see Raspberries.

I'm so glad everyone can hear this stuff live.

Happy Day 3 everyone! spin

smile --Darlene

Is it just me, or is anyone else having problems with the downloaded songs? I have quicktime pro now, and when I right click to save as a quicktime movie, the file saves, but when I play it back, it skips all over the place. Is it just my brand new computer, or is anyone else having this problem as well?

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Amanda

Hey LC, I was at the show that we are all now listening to. I even had my Kenwood dual cassette all set up to tape the show (at home) but, alas, mom had technical difficulties frown About 15 years ago I finally managed to get a copy of this show, although not as clean as Bernie's (he always has the best stuff). This was also the first time I met Eric, backstage after the show happy This particular concert, as well as the ones at the same venue a few months later, were absolutely electric! It had to be a combination of things: Eric just starting on a solo career, new label, first hit zooming up the charts, new band (more players)- all of this plus the dynamics of the small venue-made for the greatest concert I had ever been to! My girlfriend and I could actually slap the stage from where we were seated!! When Eric closed with GATW, we were screaming, we were hugging and kissing, we were shedding tears of joy!!! What else can I say? Kirk.

As baseball announcer Dick Enberg would say, Ooooh, my! If I can rave a little more, the Roxy version of "ABM" is amazing.... To think, it was still "bubbling under" at the time ("65 with a bullet," as Eric said). Three decades and a zillion covers later, it still holds up, and the live version here is a keeper....

These daily nuggets are getting addictive.... Thanks again, BH.

--LC

PS: Kirk, you're lucky to have witness that Roxy show.... How did you manage to get backstage? Anyone else here attend that show?

LC--I had a couple of custom shirts made up for the show. The front had me and my girlfriends names on it. The back was emblazoned with 'The Eric Carmen Band'. When I showed the guy backstage (which was really at the bottom of the stairs) the back of my shirt, he let me pass! Sometimes I think these things are just meant to be. Like at the L.A. HOB Raspberries reunion concert. I was actually trying to leave the venue after the show, but the valets were so busy I headed back to the club- just in time to see Kathy and Popdude who were boarding the elevator to go hang with the band after the show. Kathy invited me to come up, and nobody asked me for a pass (I just walked in with them). Go figure! Maybe it was Divine Intervention! Those two moments are on the highlight reel of my life laugh Kirk.

Like at the L.A. HOB Raspberries reunion concert. I was actually trying to leave the venue after the show, but the valets were so busy I headed back to the club- just in time to see Kathy and Popdude who were boarding the elevator to go hang with the band after the show. Kathy invited me to come up, and nobody asked me for a pass (I just walked in with them). Go figure! Maybe it was Divine Intervention! Those two moments are on the highlight reel of my life laugh Kirk.

Kirk, when most people have the opportunity to meet me, it becomes a highlight reel moment. cool

Of course, John :rolleyes: That was so obvious that I didn't think it needed mentioning wink ...Kirk.

Of course, let me also mention that it was a highlight reel moment for ME to meet swell folks such as Kirk, Jen, Marlene, Kathy and Gina at the LA HOB show.

Quote:
Originally posted by AnniekNY:

I don't get the prompt that says "save as quicktime movie"

Actually, it's best if you select "save as source," since it's an MP3 and not a Quicktime movie :-)

Bernie

Thank you Bernie, I'll try that and see what happens tonight when I get home from work.

cheerio!

Amanda

Speaking of weed....August '74, Atlanta Municipal Auditorium, "Yankee Dime" and "Choice" opened for the Raspberries who hit the stage around 11:15. My 11 year old sister insisted on going with my brother and me. Our parents (in their mid-forties at the time) thought she was too young to go with us but didn't want her to miss out. They went as well. eye There were a lot of pot smokers that night - God knows how much the five of us took in from passive smoke during those 5 hours. So there we were, my brother with a recorder on his lap, kleenex from mom's pocketbook stuffed in our ears (the bands were playing way too loud - that's rock and roll) and pot smoke coming by in waves. I'll never forget us walking back to the car early that August morning; my brother excited because the recorder worked properly, our ears doing some major ringing, me feeling great because I had just heard the Raspberries and my dad carrying my sleeping sister on his shoulder. And I was sure about one thing - if my parents didn't know what pot smelled like until then, they sure knew after that concert. :rolleyes: The concert was great. It's neat to think that the Roxy concert was only 16 months later.