Eric Carmen (1949-2024)

Just did a little housekeeping on this thread. I changed my first post to the website message I created with Amy Carmen announcing Eric's death. I wanted to have that moment preserved once I take down the memorial on Monday.

I then moved my original post a couple of posts further down in the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heartfelt Condolences to Amy and Family, Personal Friends and Dedicated EC Fans. We all have a love for Eric's life of his wonderful spirit of entertaining the world with his music. May we all look forward to seeing him again in the future. As they say, Until we Meet Again!

• Like 2

Heartfelt condolences to Eric's family and close friends.  It's so hard to comprehend.....I for one always imagined him coming back from retirement to wow us once again with his magical talent.  

I'll never forget how The Raspberries songs made me feel during the early 70s when I was in college -- always putting an extra spring in my step when one of their songs came on the radio.  

Thank you Eric for sharing your talent with us.  

• Like 3

I am not going to use the word "surprised" to describe how I have reacted to the outpouring of tributes and heartfelt expressions of love and heartache for Eric on a national scale, but maybe "pleasantly astonished" is more accurate. The wonderful tribute on the national ABC News evening broadcast earlier this week brought home to me how much Eric and his music really meant to so many people. The highlight in that report to me was the excerpt of Go All the Way. That short section was a slice of gorgeous, transcendent, euphoric (actually, no one has invented a fitting adjective for the experience) melody from the song. Bravo ABC!

Bravo Eric!

• Like 10

This afternoon, Bob Lefsetz will present a special podcast about Eric. I copied this announcement from his email last night:

Tune in Saturday March 16th to Faction Talk, channel 103, at 4 PM East, 1 PM West.

If you miss the episode, you can hear it on demand on the SiriusXM app. Search: Lefsetz 

• Thanks 4

I'm up, so here I am. I still can't believe Eric's gone. The sadness and emptiness is overwhelming. 

Eric, what a voice, what a musician, what a beautiful human being. 

You are a National Treasure. 

My heart forever ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 6

On 3/16/2024 at 9:08 AM, raspathens said:

This afternoon, Bob Lefsetz will present a special podcast about Eric. I copied this announcement from his email last night:

Tune in Saturday March 16th to Faction Talk, channel 103, at 4 PM East, 1 PM West.

If you miss the episode, you can hear it on demand on the SiriusXM app. Search: Lefsetz 

I listened to the podcast. I admit to not knowing much about Lefsetz. After listening to this podcast, I can tell you that I came away knowing that I don't see things in the same light as he does. He has the mentality of a typical rock critic. A bit of a blowhard.. Having said that, it's always nice to hear positive remarks about Eric and his music.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raspbernie said:

and didn't know why the song was called, "Hey Deanie?" C'mon.

Of course, we all appreciate having the opportunity to listen to anyone talk about Eric Carmen, especially now.  But for crying out loud,  nowadays, everybody hits the Google button as soon as they don't know something. And believe it or not, I actually found it on Google in less than 15 seconds right now.  Do your homework next time Bob!

• Like 2

If there ever was a gut punch this was it. I’m at a loss for words. Like you guys, a pretty big part of my life. 

Thank You to Bernie for keeping this site going. 

My condolences to Eric’s family and friends. May he rest in eternal peace. 

• Like 3

No, No, No, No..... This was crushing news and I still can't believe it happened. Like everybody else, I lost myself in the music. It was a long day at work so I had plenty of time to try to take it all in and reflect... I know many of you on here grew up with Cyrus Erie, Raspberries, Eric's solo career in the 70's/80's and I know some of you were true friends of Eric & his Family. To all of you, I extend my most heartfelt sympathies as I can only imagine what you are going thru.... My Love and Thoughts are with you...

When I got home from work that night, I took to one of the things I enjoy doing the most and that would be writing. On my FB page I wrote a Tribute to Eric, how I was introduced to his music, what his music meant (and did) to me as well as a few memories on the few times he and I crossed paths and I would like to share this with all of you:

"Like everybody else, I was devastated to learn of the passing of Eric Carmen as he and his music have been on my mind all day. This one hits hard. Very hard... Eric is a Musical Hero to me and has been for a long time now...

Though I was aware of Eric Carmen when I was much younger, I was introduced to his music about 25-30 years ago when I was in a dark, lonely and heartbroken moment in my life. I was working at Best Buy in North Olmsted and doing a closing shift that night and was in the warehouse with the radio playing. I believe I had Magic 105.7 on and it must have been Eric's Birthday as they played an extended block of his music. Something in those songs spoke to me as I stopped what I was doing and just listened. Songs such as "Change Of Heart", "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again", and "She Did It" reached out to me and calmed my soul and lifted me out of the dark place I was in.

Not too long after I picked up the "Eric Carmen - The Definitive Collection" CD and absorbed it. This disc had all the hits PLUS several cuts from another band I was aware of but never really listened to much of previously, the Raspberries. I instantly fell in love with this CD and it rarely left my player. Shortly after, I picked up the four Raspberries albums as well as what Eric Carmen solo albums I could get my hands on. I loved all that I was listening to and, needless to say, I quickly became a fan of both!

As time went on, I became more and more of a fan and was pretty active on EC's official Message Boards, meeting lots of fans who've been there much longer than me and welcomed the "new kid on the block" with open arms. Tickets went on sale, and quickly sold out, for their Reunion show at the House of Blues Cleveland. I was one of the lucky ones to get my hands on a ticket, meet lots of the Message Board folks for the first time, pay for my first Meet & Greet and have the time of my life!! I still get chills looking back on how the curtain raised as they launched into my favorite Raspberries tune, "I Wanna Be With You"...

The Raspberries played three more shows (to the General Public, at least) in Cleveland and I attended these with two of my buddies and we were fortunate enough to meet them at all these shows and you couldn't find four more appreciative folks than Eric, Jim, Wally and Dave if you tried...

As time went on, I crossed paths with Eric a few more times and he was always wonderful each time. However, one moment truly stands out for me and this is the one I'd like to share with all of you...

On April 4th, 2009, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies were being held in Cleveland with the Official After Party to be held at the House of Blues Cleveland. My post that night was a "Floating" position which meant I would walking the room, both upstairs and downstairs, tending to guests' needs and helping out my fellow Security Guards if needed.

As I was walking around the main floor I saw Jim Bonfanti (Raspberries drummer) and Al Kaston (Raspberries Manager) with, I'm assuming, their friends and family. As the both of them have frequented the club many times before, I wasn't really surprised to see the two of them there but, instead, was happy TO see them there!

I made my way upstairs to the Mezzanine and check on our Guard we had posted up there. I believe his name was Tom when, all of the sudden, I see Eric Carmen walk past me and heading towards the Opera Boxes. The conversation, then, went as follows:

Bry - "Oh, WOW! Eric Mother****ing Carmen!"

Tom - " Who's that?"

At this time, Eric was obviously looking for something, didn't find it, and turned around heading back our way.

Bry - "One of the finest Pop songwriters in the History of Recorded Music"

Eric - "Yep, that's me!" (Grinning as he said this)

Bry - "Eric, what's up?"

Eric - "I'm looking for my party and I can't find them"

Bry - "Oh, do you mean Jim & Al?" (This surprised Eric as I asked him this) "I saw them downstairs, come on & I'll walk you over to them"

As Eric and I were walking, I introduced myself and mentioned the mutual friend that first introduced at The Choir Reunion show held at the Beachland Ballroom some time earlier when Eric said:

"I know who you are, you're the guy that wears that crazy Purple Hat at all my shows"

Now, it was MY turn to grin as HE said this.

At that moment, we reached Jim and Al as he held out his hand to me and said "It was great to see you again and thank you for all of your help". We shook hands and I floated away on a cloud.

I could have clocked out and worked for free the rest of the night. My entire year was made right there. One of my musical heroes knew who I was. Bliss. Pure bliss.

After this time, I only had one more interaction with Eric as he showed up, with Jim Bonfanti, to see the Eagles tribute band, Tequila Sunrise, as their friend, Paul Sidoti, played in this band. I was posted at the Backstage Door as I saw Eric, Jim and Jim's wife approach me. Jim's wife was the first to walk up to me and I held the Backstage door open for her as she walked past. Jim then stopped, offered his hand and thanked me for being so courteous and as Eric approached, he held out his hand to say hello and tell me it was nice to see me again.

Eric and Jim joined the band on stage for a rousing version of "Hang On Sloopy" which Eric sung as well as another tune that escapes me now. Once again, there I stood, grinning from ear to ear.

This may have been the last time I would see Eric but not the last time I would listen to him. His music is always with me and, at work today as well as I'm writing this, I spent the day listening, remembering and reflecting. When I was at a low point in my life, his music lifted me up. His music still lifts me up and brings me joy. Even though his passing has hit me hard, very hard, and will hurt for some time, I hope all of you felt the joy in reading this as I do when listening to the music of Eric Carmen and the Raspberries

Rest Easy, Eric, you will be missed more than you know...

Love & Cheers Always,

The Bry Guy"

For some reason, I found myself listening to the Winter Dreams CD the most and, especially, his cover of "Caroline No" and "Isn't It Romantic" to comfort my soul. About this time it also occurred to me: Kiss is finished touring and are retired, Prince, Michael Stanley and now, Eric Carmen have all been called home. All of my musical heroes are no longer around and this breaks my heart so much.... I know I try to keep my posts upbeat, positive and entertaining but, I just don't know what else to say right now or how to say it.... Thank you for listening to me....

Cheers Always,

Bry (a.k.a John Shaft)

Bry & Raspberries.jpg

Bry & Eric Carmen.jpg

• Like 14

45 minutes ago, John Shaft said:

No, No, No, No..... This was crushing news and I still can't believe it happened.

👏  Thank you Bry, for this detailed, emotional and  personal story of your interactions with Eric Carmen.  How awesome you got to meet him and share a few words with him on two different occasions. I live vicariously through anyone on this site who actually had the great fortune to meet him. Your words are felt by all of us. I know that for sure because as I was reading, I was thinking your reaction was exactly like mine and all of us. I just want to say condolences to you because I feel how deep it cuts. We are also fortunate  to share these stories and feel a little bit of comfort through the use of this great site that Bernie has developed. Just continue to honour Eric by speaking of his music and playing it loud and  proud. ❤️

(great photos..what a keepsake!)

Rhonda B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rhonda B said:

👏  Thank you Bry, for this detailed, emotional and  personal story of your interactions with Eric Carmen.  How awesome you got to meet him and share a few words with him on two different occasions. I live vicariously through anyone on this site who actually had the great fortune to meet him. Your words are felt by all of us. I know that for sure because as I was reading, I was thinking your reaction was exactly like mine and all of us. I just want to say condolences to you because I feel how deep it cuts. We are also fortunate  to share these stories and feel a little bit of comfort through the use of this great site that Bernie has developed. Just continue to honour Eric by speaking of his music and playing it loud and loud and proud. ❤️

(great photos..what a keepsake!)

Rhonda B.

***HUGS*** :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, John Shaft said:

For some reason, I found myself listening to the Winter Dreams CD the most and, especially, his cover of "Caroline No" and "Isn't It Romantic" to comfort my soul.

ps.. Coincidentally, on a long drive today,  I listened to the whole Winter Dreams album also and I thought, I really like "Isn't it Romantic?".   It's a total departure from Eric's usual musical style and doesn't always receive love from fans,  but it brought great comfort to me as well today.🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Shaft said:

No, No, No, No..... This was crushing news and I still can't believe it happened. Like everybody else, I lost myself in the music. It was a long day at work so I had plenty of time to try to take it all in and reflect... I know many of you on here grew up with Cyrus Erie, Raspberries, Eric's solo career in the 70's/80's and I know some of you were true friends of Eric & his Family. To all of you, I extend my most heartfelt sympathies as I can only imagine what you are going thru.... My Love and Thoughts are with you...

When I got home from work that night, I took to one of the things I enjoy doing the most and that would be writing. On my FB page I wrote a Tribute to Eric, how I was introduced to his music, what his music meant (and did) to me as well as a few memories on the few times he and I crossed paths and I would like to share this with all of you:

"Like everybody else, I was devastated to learn of the passing of Eric Carmen as he and his music have been on my mind all day. This one hits hard. Very hard... Eric is a Musical Hero to me and has been for a long time now...

Though I was aware of Eric Carmen when I was much younger, I was introduced to his music about 25-30 years ago when I was in a dark, lonely and heartbroken moment in my life. I was working at Best Buy in North Olmsted and doing a closing shift that night and was in the warehouse with the radio playing. I believe I had Magic 105.7 on and it must have been Eric's Birthday as they played an extended block of his music. Something in those songs spoke to me as I stopped what I was doing and just listened. Songs such as "Change Of Heart", "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again", and "She Did It" reached out to me and calmed my soul and lifted me out of the dark place I was in.

Not too long after I picked up the "Eric Carmen - The Definitive Collection" CD and absorbed it. This disc had all the hits PLUS several cuts from another band I was aware of but never really listened to much of previously, the Raspberries. I instantly fell in love with this CD and it rarely left my player. Shortly after, I picked up the four Raspberries albums as well as what Eric Carmen solo albums I could get my hands on. I loved all that I was listening to and, needless to say, I quickly became a fan of both!

As time went on, I became more and more of a fan and was pretty active on EC's official Message Boards, meeting lots of fans who've been there much longer than me and welcomed the "new kid on the block" with open arms. Tickets went on sale, and quickly sold out, for their Reunion show at the House of Blues Cleveland. I was one of the lucky ones to get my hands on a ticket, meet lots of the Message Board folks for the first time, pay for my first Meet & Greet and have the time of my life!! I still get chills looking back on how the curtain raised as they launched into my favorite Raspberries tune, "I Wanna Be With You"...

The Raspberries played three more shows (to the General Public, at least) in Cleveland and I attended these with two of my buddies and we were fortunate enough to meet them at all these shows and you couldn't find four more appreciative folks than Eric, Jim, Wally and Dave if you tried...

As time went on, I crossed paths with Eric a few more times and he was always wonderful each time. However, one moment truly stands out for me and this is the one I'd like to share with all of you...

On April 4th, 2009, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies were being held in Cleveland with the Official After Party to be held at the House of Blues Cleveland. My post that night was a "Floating" position which meant I would walking the room, both upstairs and downstairs, tending to guests' needs and helping out my fellow Security Guards if needed.

As I was walking around the main floor I saw Jim Bonfanti (Raspberries drummer) and Al Kaston (Raspberries Manager) with, I'm assuming, their friends and family. As the both of them have frequented the club many times before, I wasn't really surprised to see the two of them there but, instead, was happy TO see them there!

I made my way upstairs to the Mezzanine and check on our Guard we had posted up there. I believe his name was Tom when, all of the sudden, I see Eric Carmen walk past me and heading towards the Opera Boxes. The conversation, then, went as follows:

Bry - "Oh, WOW! Eric Mother****ing Carmen!"

Tom - " Who's that?"

At this time, Eric was obviously looking for something, didn't find it, and turned around heading back our way.

Bry - "One of the finest Pop songwriters in the History of Recorded Music"

Eric - "Yep, that's me!" (Grinning as he said this)

Bry - "Eric, what's up?"

Eric - "I'm looking for my party and I can't find them"

Bry - "Oh, do you mean Jim & Al?" (This surprised Eric as I asked him this) "I saw them downstairs, come on & I'll walk you over to them"

As Eric and I were walking, I introduced myself and mentioned the mutual friend that first introduced at The Choir Reunion show held at the Beachland Ballroom some time earlier when Eric said:

"I know who you are, you're the guy that wears that crazy Purple Hat at all my shows"

Now, it was MY turn to grin as HE said this.

At that moment, we reached Jim and Al as he held out his hand to me and said "It was great to see you again and thank you for all of your help". We shook hands and I floated away on a cloud.

I could have clocked out and worked for free the rest of the night. My entire year was made right there. One of my musical heroes knew who I was. Bliss. Pure bliss.

After this time, I only had one more interaction with Eric as he showed up, with Jim Bonfanti, to see the Eagles tribute band, Tequila Sunrise, as their friend, Paul Sidoti, played in this band. I was posted at the Backstage Door as I saw Eric, Jim and Jim's wife approach me. Jim's wife was the first to walk up to me and I held the Backstage door open for her as she walked past. Jim then stopped, offered his hand and thanked me for being so courteous and as Eric approached, he held out his hand to say hello and tell me it was nice to see me again.

Eric and Jim joined the band on stage for a rousing version of "Hang On Sloopy" which Eric sung as well as another tune that escapes me now. Once again, there I stood, grinning from ear to ear.

This may have been the last time I would see Eric but not the last time I would listen to him. His music is always with me and, at work today as well as I'm writing this, I spent the day listening, remembering and reflecting. When I was at a low point in my life, his music lifted me up. His music still lifts me up and brings me joy. Even though his passing has hit me hard, very hard, and will hurt for some time, I hope all of you felt the joy in reading this as I do when listening to the music of Eric Carmen and the Raspberries

Rest Easy, Eric, you will be missed more than you know...

Love & Cheers Always,

The Bry Guy"

For some reason, I found myself listening to the Winter Dreams CD the most and, especially, his cover of "Caroline No" and "Isn't It Romantic" to comfort my soul. About this time it also occurred to me: Kiss is finished touring and are retired, Prince, Michael Stanley and now, Eric Carmen have all been called home. All of my musical heroes are no longer around and this breaks my heart so much.... I know I try to keep my posts upbeat, positive and entertaining but, I just don't know what else to say right now or how to say it.... Thank you for listening to me....

Cheers Always,

Bry (a.k.a John Shaft)

Bry & Raspberries.jpg

Bry & Eric Carmen.jpg

Wow!  What an awesome interaction with Eric and all!  Pretty much makes my ride in an elevator with Neil Diamond seem like nothing. And, BTW,  I and my friends said absolutely nothing and we all practically had convulsions when he got off!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 3/19/2024 at 7:42 PM, John Shaft said:

All of us who were fortunate to be here when Raspberries retook the stage (and our hearts and souls) are lucky, indeed!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1