Eric Carmen (1949-2024)

I'm going to quote an ad from early in Eric's solo career, "Eric Carmen will stun you!"

Nothing could be more true at the moment. I feel like I just lost a family member. There really are no words. 

Bernie, when you inquired about the upcoming Carnegie Hall gig, was there any clue?

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

2000-05-01-eric_carmen-bernie_hogya.jpg

I have no words today. Eric Carmen's music spoke to me. It filled my heart with joy. It held my hand through hard times. It made my soul soar. I’m thankful for the opportunity to play a small role in bringing his many fans together—like-minded folks from all walks of life who heard what I heard. And felt what I felt. Rest in peace my dear friend, Eric. I love you and will miss you.

• Like 6
  • Sad 9

Eric's last couple of posts were regarding 'the trifecta': Footloose, Dirty Dancing, and Guardians of the Galaxy soundtracks all going to #1 on the Billboard Top 200 album chart.

Eric's last words on the message board: "I'm going to Disney World!"

I think he's going all the way...RIP Eric

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I cannot begin to tell you how sad this makes me. I’ve literally been driving in the car listening to his music since I got the phone call from my friend Seth, telling me he had passed. My phone is blowing up with so many people sharing love, which is something I’m sure would make Eric happy. I’ve said many times, The Beatles were the reason I became a musician, but Eric Carmen is the reason I played the piano. Rest in Peace, dear Eric 

• Like 5
  • Sad 7

Crushing, earlier today I was thinking that it´s been 10 years since Eric posted here and that maybe he´d come back and post this year. Not to be.

My thoughts and prayers to his wife Amy who must be devastated, especially as they seemed to really have a true blue love for each other.

Take care up there Eric, you were the very best in my book,  a loss for us, a gain for those up there with you.

James

• Like 7
  • Sad 5

If what I've read is true and Eric is a born again Christian, and, one of God's chosen people, he has reached the heavens, the pearly gates, and we should all celebrate. He is face to face with the Lord. I am happy for that. But sad that we lose such a great talented musician who has contributed so much to speaking to our hearts through his love of music.  I never met Eric but feel through his music we are all connected in the spirit of his songs.  RIP with God's everlasting love 💕

• Like 7

Eric's music — and that distinctive, instantly appealing voice — lifted me up more times than I can remember. I can listen to "I Can Remember" or "Nobody Knows" or "Sunrise" or "Love Is All That Matters" or anything he sang or wrote and it sounds just as new and vital to me as it did in the 1970s or '80s. 

I always felt like there was "more to come." But as long as his music keeps playing, well, the story isn't ending, really.

R.I.P. to my musical hero and friend. And it bears repeating: Sincere condolences to Amy, to Eric's kids, to his whole family, to his bandmates and friends, and to his ever-faithful fan base, who never lost our love for that brilliant body of work.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

This is so out of the blue, shocking. Never heard he was ill, he always seemed so vibrant.  Is there any reason to this?? Someone please help us understand. 

The legacy of his talent improved our musical world.  We will always be thankful for that and his music will live on forever with those who cherish his memory. I going to keep playing it, keep singing it.  - BT

• Like 7

NY Post quoting Paul Stanley upon Stanley learning of Eric's passing:

"Awful news. Eric Carmen has died,” Kiss’ Paul Stanley posted on X. “Although known to many for writing radio hits like ‘All By Myself’ and others, Eric was a true rocker at heart. His voice had elements of McCartney and Steve Marriott. The Raspberries did shows with us. A killer band live & I loved their records".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gone too soon...What can i say?...Eric Carmen's music spoke to me as i was coming of age...and i never forgot what that meant to me...This past Sunday night i was watching The Raspberries "Go All The Way" from the reunion concert...I was wondering if they'd ever do it again...Sadly now i know the answer...My condolences to his family and to all his friends here.

Dan

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

Bernie....Remember The Cyrus Erie opening for The Who at Musicarnival tape?

I grew up when Eric played the Hulabaloos in NE Ohio....We talked many hours on the phone in those early days

and even helped him move Cyrus Erie equipment from Chesterland to downtown Cleveland to a recording studio.

There was a time after Cyrus Erie, and before Raspberries, he practiced with a band I was in, in Solon, Ohio to play

some gigs in NY. It never materialized but the practice sessions were memorable...playing with this local giant.

He was always soft-spoken, intelligent, and courteous to me.

His memory will live on forever.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

As saddened as we all are, there are deeper thoughts and prayers to go out to family and friends...those closest to him. I couldn't sleep last night and I was mostly thinking of Bernie and all the devotion, dedication, time of his life given to Eric and his music. Bernie, we never met. Even though there is nothing i CAN do to lessen your pain, if there was, I would do it. 

You stated above that you played a small role in bringing his fans together. No! It was a LARGE role. A very LARGE role.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

This news came as a huge shock; like others, I must admit getting sleep has been difficult. My deepest condolences go out to the friends and family that were close to him; can't even imagine what they must be going through.

What's beautiful is that Eric's music has enriched many, many lives, and will continue to do so for decades to come. His status as a music legend was something he worked hard to achieve, and it was well deserved and earned.

For me personally, his music will always stay in my rotation; I always felt his music speak to me on a deep, personal level, even though I never got the privilege to meet him. It'll be a little more bittersweet now, but that resonance will always be there.

Bless Eric for bringing peace and joy to so many. He will be dearly missed.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

I am speechless and shocked to hear of the passing of my legend, Eric Carmen.
I wonder what it feels like to have a gaping hole in your heart...

Just a few days ago, I wrote on FB how much I've been influenced by Eric.
How happy I was to be guided by his music.
Thank you, Eric.
My heartfelt gratitude and the love.

My deepest condolences to his family.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Craig Benfer said:

As saddened as we all are, there are deeper thoughts and prayers to go out to family and friends...those closest to him. I couldn't sleep last night and I was mostly thinking of Bernie and all the devotion, dedication, time of his life given to Eric and his music. Bernie, we never met. Even though there is nothing i CAN do to lessen your pain, if there was, I would do it. 

You stated above that you played a small role in bringing his fans together. No! It was a LARGE role. A very LARGE role.

Yes, a very large role, Bernie!  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Like everyone here, I am heartbroken to hear this. Eric Carmen's music has meant so much to me since the first time I heard Boats Against the Current in 1978. For some reason that song spoke to my heart. Over the years, many of his other songs did, too. What a talented man he was...

This site of Bernie's has been a Godsend to us EC fans. It was great to get to talk to like-minded fans. I "met" and became friends with so many great people here. I knew very little about EC before I found this site. I learned so much from Bernie and the people here...even Eric Carmen! Eric used to hang out here some. He would sometimes answer questions or just post his thoughts on a myriad of subjects. Whether he was talking about his music, other music, the music industry, politics, books, lawyer jokes😁, or any other subject...his posts were always passionate, well thought out and informational. It was so cool! Whether you were a fan of rocker EC, ballad EC, solo EC, Raspberry EC, or all of the above...there was something for you here at ericcarmen.com. I can never thank Bernie enough for how much this site has meant to me. I gotta think Eric appreciated it, too.

Eric Carmen was truly one of a kind. He will always be my favorite singer/songwriter...RIP

• Like 10