Righteous!!!

susie b

So classic... Great share, as always, Susie. Love the interview, and especially Bill Medley's admission.

I've noticed that this song is a real favorite of all those YouTube "reaction" jockeys (r-jays, as I like to say!). Here's a particularly good one by a longtime opera singer who gets into some worthy and astute analysis. (But there are a number of others, many of them with lots of swooning by the "r-jays.") 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LC said:

So classic... Great share, as always, Susie. Love the interview, and especially Bill Medley's admission.

I've noticed that this song is a real favorite of all those YouTube "reaction" jockeys (r-jays, as I like to say!). Here's a particularly good one by a longtime opera singer who gets into some worthy and astute analysis. (But there are a number of others, many of them with lots of swooning by the "r-jays.") 

She is an adorable self described vocal nerd.  Love her manner and knowledge base.

• Like 2

Elvis's version: bigger and more drama (but still great). I'd give the advantage to Righteous Brothers for the more sensitive, passionate reading. But it's tough to vote against that one-of-a-kind Elvis voice and phrasing and power. 

• Like 3

Elvis did a strong job, but instead of rolling with, and honoring, the melody he Elvised it up to much resulting in a choppier and inferior version.  Elvis is one of the very few who had the voice fo compete with the RB but it didn't happen.

IMHO

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, James said:

Elvis did a strong job, but instead of rolling with, and honoring, the melody he Elvised it up to much resulting in a choppier and inferior version.  Elvis is one of the very few who had the voice fo compete with the, RB but it didn't happen.

IMHO

As a lifelong fan of Elvis Presley, I understand how Elvis was only a few months away from his death when this song was recorded ( live during a concert), and it was a miracle that he was able to perform at all in his condition. I do not hold Elvis' repertoire from this period up for comparison because his health was in serious decline and not at his best voice or breathing, for that matter. I am not an apologist for Elvis, but just a devoted fan who still mourns his passing and still delights in the hundreds of great recordings he gave us. For a great performance of a healthy and accomplished Elvis, watch the full 1968 NBC-TV concert that was the most-viewed broadcast of the year, as well as when it was repeated months later. Things began to degrade after 1972, and the rest is history.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LC said:

Elvis's version: bigger and more drama (but still great). I'd give the advantage to Righteous Brothers for the more sensitive, passionate reading. But it's tough to vote against that one-of-a-kind Elvis voice and phrasing and power. 

I love Elvis Presley, but I would not call this one of his best performances. I prefer the Bobby Hatfield rendition. Here is the original from 1955 by the great Al Hibbler. This is the version that Elvis was performing, in my analysis.

• Like 1

I think this version by Mitch Ryder is fantastic. Mitch was "Mr. High Energy"! Don Was is playing bass here, and the guitarist is the original from the Detroit wheels, Jimmy McCarty. You cannot sit still when this is playing.