Best of 1972 — where does "Go All the Way" fit in?

LC

Saw this on Facebook — Top 100 songs of 1972, as reported by WXIT in North Carolina. What, only #3?!?

Seriously, when you peruse this Top 100, it makes quite a playlist.... "Lean on Me," "American Pie," "Let's Stay Together," "Crocodile Rock," "Layla," "Everything I Own," "Without You".... Lots of timeless tunes that year.

top 100 1972 wxit.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chuck Berry "My Ding-a-Ling", Number 17. Elvis Presley "Burning Love", Number 24? In what altered universe?

Derek and the Dominoes "Layla" #45 and  Donny Osmond "Puppy Love" #9???? Really?? (I almost threw up in my mouth!).

This is why I pay ZERO attention to Top " Anything " Lists!

Grumpy today, Batman?

It's just a small radio station's year-end Top 100 list. No need to do any internal vomiting. It was likely based (at least loosely) on listener requests. I think every radio station had its own metrics for their end-of-year top-100 lists — and as far as I know, they didn't just mimic Billboard or Cashbox. More than likely, they reflected listener preferences and data (such as it was) collected by a station's program manager. They weren't right or wrong, or reflective of sales, or reflective of critics' picks.... They more than likely were just giving the people what they wanted.

I didn't post this as the be-all-end-all-list of the best songs of 1972 ranked in order. And I don't think anyone will contend that Chuck Berry's "Ding-a-Ling" is better than Elvis's "Burning Love."  I just threw the list out there as a nice, nostalgic look at hit songs from a memorable year in music. 

Don't take it personally, LC. I am just questioning the ranking of the songs. Since we don't know the metrics used to compile this list, my opinion is as good as anyone else's. Feel free to ignore my post. And no, I am not grumpy, thank you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Batman said:

Donny Osmond "Puppy Love" #9???? Really??

Ooooo  them's fightin' words Batman..to star-struck teenage girls.😍  .. And there were a lot of them! I guess you have to think back to the times and not to how we feel today, right? I think I know every single song on that list. It's amazing how they all come back to you immedately. Some really great hits there actually.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Raspbernie said:

"Go All the Way" reached number 5 on the Billboard Hot 100, number 4 on Cashbox and number 3 on Record World.

And after 52 years, it still pops up in all sorts of places, and never fails to grab attention with the opening guitar riff. The intro has been my phone's text message ring tone for almost 14 years and when it goes off, people always say "I know that somg". And the chorus is my incoming call ringtone. It has been known to cause Catwoman to break out into dance moves!

It was a good topic to post. Anything that stimulates critical thinking is healthy. Of course we are all going to have different levels of agreement or disagreement with the ranking. We are all still individuals, not computer generated AI robots....yet.

• Like 1

We are getting closer though.....  😶

Jan 29 (Reuters) - The first human patient has received an implant from brain-chip startup Neuralink on Sunday and is recovering well, the company's billionaire founder Elon Musk said. "Initial results show promising neuron spike detection," Musk said in a post on the social media platform X on Monday.Jan 29, 2024

What are the benefits of the Neuralink chip?

The company says its device can interpret neural activity so a person can operate a computer or smartphone by simply thinking. Neuralink says its devices can help people with debilitating conditions control external devices