Buy, sell, trade?

Kirk

Interesting idea, Kirk!

I would suggest a "closed" forum like Cartoon World for members only, and maybe a waiting period before new members could post items for sale to avoid scammers.

I've sold on eBay since 1998, and boy have I seen changes on that selling platform.  If you need any assistance, Bernie, feel free to message.

I like the idea of a Members Only forum. I think I can set it up so that you need a certain level of Membership (number of posts) to participate‚ÄĒto weed out people who might just join to scam others. I also think that whatever is being sold should be something the Member themself owns. No links to other stuff.

Items can be sold at a fixed price sale (although negotiating can be part of a transaction). They can also be offered to the highest bidder, with bidding taking place by Members on each thread.

When something is sold, Moderators can close those threads.

I suppose the Forum can also allow links to eBay auctions as long as the auction is being held by the Ericcarmen.com Member themselves.

There will be no liability for myself or EricCarmen.com on what transpires ‚ÄĒ I will probably need to post a short set of rules atop the Forum like on Cartoon World.

More thoughts?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

I like the idea of a Members Only forum. I think I can set it up so that you need a certain level of Membership (number of posts) to participate‚ÄĒto weed out people who might just join to scam others. I also think that whatever is being sold should be something the Member themself owns. No links to other stuff.

Items can be sold at a fixed price sale (although negotiating can be part of a transaction). They can also be offered to the highest bidder, with bidding taking place by Members on each thread.

When something is sold, Moderators can close those threads.

I suppose the Forum can also allow links to eBay auctions as long as the auction is being held by the Ericcarmen.com Member themselves.

There will be no liability for myself or EricCarmen.com on what transpires ‚ÄĒ I will probably need to post a short set of rules atop the Forum like on Cartoon World.

More thoughts?

You might want to get legal advice before going in this direction.  It's too risky if you use or think anything generic or not look into your state laws.

As example.. most talk about a hold harmless clause...being the generic answer...

An answer on Quora.com - only an indication it's too risky to not get legal advice.

"An indemnification agreement (hold harmless agreement) is a legally binding agreement that holds a business harmless for any burden loss or damage done by the person or entity. This type of agreement also ensures that compensation is given in a case of some losses and damages.

In any case, where a business assume the risk for something they’re not directly responsible for, they likely need an indemnity agreement, here are some examples of such cases and a template for such an agreement: Indemnification Agreement (Free Template) - Examples of indemnity

Such an agreement can be very essential and useful for many business relationships that result in some shared risk. It forces them to think about these risks in advance and put measures in place if something unexpected happens. It forces you to think about these risks in advance and put measures in place to protect you if something happens.

Without an indemnification agreement, parties will likely blame each other when issues arise, resulting in expensive lawsuits. The challenge with such types of agreements is that they can be written in a one-sided way. That’s why it’s worth engaging with attorneys when assessing these clauses to ensure the deal is reasonable and fair for all parties."

I might be over-reacting...but as a Legal assistant, I feel the red flags!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, susie b said:

Another issue is the collection of sales tax.

When I started selling online, it was the Wild West, and sales tax wasn't an issue. 

Now it is, and online sales are taxable.

Not only that, the IRS has slashed the threshhold for reporting sales on the internet to $600. It was $20,000. So for any sales totaling $600. or more for the year, Bernie will be required to issue a 1099-K form to the sellers.

11 hours ago, Batman said:

Not only that, the IRS has slashed the threshhold for reporting sales on the internet to $600. It was $20,000. So for any sales totaling $600. or more for the year, Bernie will be required to issue a 1099-K form to the sellers.

Yup. 1099-K.

• Thanks 1

There is the old Yankee Magazine concept of trading.

I remember they used to have a couple of pages for folks to list items that they were seeking or trading.

Maybe something like that with zero transactions onsite...

Just a digital bulletin board.

Lister/seller would have to post some kind of contact information, so definitely should be trusted members ONLY.

And watermark your photos.

Before the internet we used to have a weekly publication that was sold everywhere newspapers were sold. The name escapes me now, but it was like ebay in that you could sell ANYTHING, even houses and automobiles. You paid a standard fee to print your ad, and interested parties called you directly. The paper made their money from the sellers' listing fees, and from the sales of the paper. Now it hit me... The Want-Ad Press. I sold and bought many items over the years, and buyers and sellers had 100% privacy. 

I hate this aging process. It takes my internal hard drive much longer to access stored data!!! (Help me Elon!).

4 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

I sure as heck don't need the headache of a disgruntled buyer's lawsuit. Or Uncle Sam knocking on my door. Sheesh...this was supposed to be fun.

Yes, it was supposed to be fun, as well as easy. Can we go back to the 'handshake' days?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1