New Rules, materialism, and "Daydream Believer"

LC

Bill Maher's latest "New Rules" on HBO's Real Time (Feb. 2, 2024) centered on materialism in music. He was entertaining — and insightful — as he took songwriters to task for today's all-too-common themes of money and greed. For contrast, he mentioned a host of classics, even singing two lines of an old Loggins & Messina hit ("Even though we ain't got money..."). Best of all, he quoted old friend John Stewart and his "Daydream Believer": "Our good times start and end without dollar one to spend / But how much baby do we really need?" Photo below....

Anyway, good stuff!

CLICK ON THIS LINK TO VIEW AT YOUTUBE: youtube.com/watch?v=10H-9wr7GkY

John Stewart quote on Bill Maher Real Time.jpg

• Like 3

Good stuff indeed!

But I've just discovered that I've had a classic case of misheard lyrics.

I always thought Davy sang, "Our good times start and then with a dollar, one to spend..."

So even though they were pretty broke, I thought Davy and his homecoming queen were happy with their single dollar and were living on love.

Well what girl wouldn't be happy to be with Davy?

These are the thoughts of a very young little Susie in the 1960's.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

VERY good stuff! No arguments from me. As a girl who grew up on a farm without running water or indoor toilet for the first 5 years of my life, in a family of eight children, our biggest fantasies were to complete our daily work. Daydream Believer by genius songwriter John Stewart was never truly understood. Might I add that 2 songs mentioned, Danny's Song,  ("and even though we aint got money"), and Daydream Believer are two songs that Anne Murray covered. I think I'll have to check out Bill Maher again!

• Like 2

I love Bill Maher, but political leanings aside, this piece of his is about the quality of pop music in terms of messaging. He was quoting Lennon and said if he asked the younger crowd today to fill in the line, "All you need is..." — he doubts they'd come up with "love." No, the emphasis is on the material things in life.

Susie, I LOVE that anecdote about misheard lyrics. You know, as a kid, I had the same "misheard" lyric experience. However, because my John Stewart obsession started in the late 1970s, it wasn't long before I got it right, just from listening to his version of his own song.

• Like 2

Susie, I've mentioned the other lyrical quirks in that song in older posts. But I'll bring 'em up again, because they're so fun. 

• In the opening verse, John Stewart originally had it as "My shaving razor's old, and it stings." The Monkees made the shaving razor "cold" instead of old.

• The lines in the second verse originally were: "You once thought of me as a white knight on his steed / Now you know how funky I can be." Alas, Colgems Records wouldn't let Davy sing "funky" — too risqué. Imagine that! So it became "happy." Producer Chip Douglas broke that news to John, who protested: "But that doesn't make sense!" Chip told him it had to be "happy" or the Monkees wouldn't be doing the song, John said, "Okay, 'happy' works for me." It went on to become No. 1 worldwide. John loved telling that story when he performed the song. (And he always sang "old" and "funky" instead of "cold" and "happy"!) 

The "funky" change really was pivotal. It's not quite the happy song the Monkees made it. John wrote the song about a young married couple who had advanced beyond the honeymoon phase and were finding out it wasn't all peaches and cream. And "Sleepy Jean" was suddenly encountering funky things she hadn't noticed about the daydream believer. Plus, they were broke — hence the line Bill Maher quoted. But, to Bill's point. the daydream believer was trying to convince sleepy Jean that their lack of funds didn't matter so much: "How much, baby, do we really need?"

Yes, "Daydream Believer" is a deeper song than most people may have gathered over the past 57 years! Me included, until I heard John's anecdotes.... 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Batman said:

Bill Maher has shown some real common sense opinions lately despite him being a professed liberal. With age comes wisdom.

Yes, Bill is moving toward the "center" in quite a few of his observations.    He sees the far left, woke garbage for what it is....garbage.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LC said:

And he's always, always seen the far right, neo-con faction for what it is: garbarge, as well. The answer is usually in the middle. 

I agree. The center is the most reasonable position in most cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ooch said:

"Louie, Louie" -The Kingsmen.    Was hard to be sure for most of the lyrics...😄

Louie, Louie was actually the subject of an FBI investigation when it was released. J. Edgar Hoover believed the lyrics were some form of obscene message. Perhaps he thought it was blowing the whistle on his cross-dressing frolics?

The FBI Investigated the Song ‘Louie Louie’ for Two Years | Smart News| Smithsonian Magazine

• Like 2

Misheard lyrics... Young Rascals...Groovin'....Life would be ecstasy, you and me and Leslie. Alluding to a threesome???🤭This could work nicely today, as Leslie could be male or female (or a reasonable facsimile!).

Actually, Life would be ecstasy, you and me endlessly.

• Haha 2

When the late Mike Nesmith sang "Salesman" from the 2nd & final season episode (from 1967 "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd." album), there was words they had to "bleep" out when the late Davy Jones said "yeah.....bleep" & then Micky Dolenz said "You can't say "blank" on national television!! They might have said "funky"!! 😲