Billy Joel's Back! Return of The Piano Man

LC

2 hours ago, Batman said:

What today's technology is capable of could make anyone sound good. I believe it was Rosie O'Donnell who several years ago admitted that her singing on a Christmas album was pure computer correction of her voice. I had never heard of auto-tune before that. Imagine what AI is capable of today. I am waiting for Elvis to release some new recordings. I always wanted to hear Elvis perform the Beatle's "Oh! Darling" the way his voice sounded during the 1968 TV special (Think "If I Can Dream" sound, a bit raspy). It would be awesome. I attempted to do just that a few weeks ago using ChatGPT, but the reply was to the effect that due to copyright issues, the application could not comply with my request.

I just connected to ChatGPT. It's amazing!

• Like 1

I have to admit, if Paul and Ringo, the Rolling Stones, and Billy Joel, had offered their latest releases while still in their prime it would have been pretty ho-hum. But nostalgia be damned, I love what they have given us at this point in time. Have I lowered my musical expectations? No! Do I like the songs? Heck, yeah! I think the big thing that resonates with me is that if these guys can still put out decent music at their age; at MY age- it's like the fountain of youth. I'm still in my 20's listening to them. It's an emotional lift for me and, I'm guessing, for them, also. I WANT to hear them put out a decent song, and if it's not as good as their prime, it's still good enough for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ditto for me, Kirk!   🙂

Have some fantastic memories from "back in the day."

I know Eric explained how costly it is to produce a recording.  But I keep hoping he gets the "fever" and puts out a song.

What's the thoughts on Ringo and Paul's new song that came out at the end of 2023. Do you think there is going to be a rebirth of the old guard? It's time to get them movin' and motivated.  Englebert came to Cleveland last fall and my cousin saw him live. She said he didn't miss a beat! It's just a matter of rebranding...the fans are still there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PattiCakes said:

Do you think there is going to be a rebirth of the old guard? It's time to get them movin' and motivated.  Englebert came to Cleveland last fall and my cousin saw him live. She said he didn't miss a beat! It's just a matter of rebranding...the fans are still there!

Patti I think so.   Madonna is scheduled for a concert here in Cleveland on Feb. 8 and Johnny Mathis will be at Northfield Park on Feb. 10.   My mother had a HUGE crush on Johnny...LOL! 

5 hours ago, ooch said:

Patti I think so.   Madonna is scheduled for a concert here in Cleveland on Feb. 8 and Johnny Mathis will be at Northfield Park on Feb. 10.   My mother had a HUGE crush on Johnny...LOL! 

5 hours ago, ooch said:

That's exciting Ooch!  I remember the days when live music was at the Front Row.  We saw Johnny Mathis, Susan Anton, Four Seasons and Frankie Valli, Burt Bacharach to name a few. Can I tell you how many New Kids on the Block concerts I went to with my daughter when she was 13? Standing in line at the Euclid Square Mall at 6 am waiting for the wrist bands to be passed out to get tickets.  Gotta put Eric's name out in the Universe so he can catch those vibes and get the fever back! If I knew his address I'd send him a transistor radio (my grandson got one for Christmas and thought he won the lottery).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LC said:

I forgot about this.... PattiCakes, you'll love this: Billy actually did a new song in 2007, and it got roundly boo'ed here. It's on the thread below. The song link was busted, but I found it on YouTube and edited it back in. To be totally honest, if I had seen this thread back then, I'd have panned it too.

Then again, at the time of this thread, 2007, Raspberries were an active touring band, and we were being spoiled by the footage and live shows of Eric and the band in a revitalized mode. Billy, at that point, was stepping backward into a "great American songbook"-type song.

Listened to it and think his style hasn't changed over the years. I find his music is really for me lacking musicality, maybe hard to explain, but he's singing lyrics as words, like "just" playing notes on an instrument. If I play all the notes right, but not musical, it's lacking. I saw that recently on a Beatles clip. They were all singing, in tune at the same tempo, but they were only singing notes.  Guess I'm spoiled as what my heart finds beautiful and romantic when it reaches my soul.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PattiCakes said:

Listened to it and think his style hasn't changed over the years. I find his music is really for me lacking musicality, maybe hard to explain, but he's singing lyrics as words, like "just" playing notes on an instrument. If I play all the notes right, but not musical, it's lacking. I saw that recently on a Beatles clip. They were all singing, in tune at the same tempo, but they were only singing notes.  Guess I'm spoiled as what my heart finds beautiful and romantic when it reaches my soul.

The Beatles don't do it for you? In general, or that one song? 

Either way, I think it's safe to say our musical tastes don't overlap much — lol. And that's fine — music is such a personal thing, after all. Like, from your post above, I would say with certainty that I wouldn't have gone to any of those concerts you listed, not even if I had free tickets. Except Bacharach. And even then, I might not have sat through more than one set.

But nothing Johnny Mathis  has done has connected with me; it's easy-listening schmaltz, mostly, and his voice has always sounded a little creepy. And I can take only so much Frankie Valli — maybe a greatest-hits package — before I need to turn him off. And I think of Susan Anton more as an actress who tried to sing, so I wouldn't have been drawn to her concert. 

As for Burt, when he was good, he was very, very good — iconic. ("Always Something There to Remind Me" is my favorite. But for me, it's like Valli — I can't dig too deep beyond his hits. Some things he wrote seem too methodically composed — they lack fire and passion. 

On the other hand, Joel's return had me fixated on my "Best of Billy" playlist, and for me. his 50 best songs are brimming over with emotion, passion, and authenticity. "She's Always a Woman," "This Night," "Laura," "My Life," "James," "Pressure," "I Go to Extremes," "Stiletto," "Vienna," "Piano Man," "Goodnight Saigon"... whew! Did I mention "Laura"? Some of his deep cuts are his peak performances, in my humble opinion.

Not that I"m trying to convince anyone.... I'm just saying: Who knows what makes music connect with us? I have close friends who love to rag on Eric Carmen, and dismiss him as a Manilow wanna-be. They don't get it, and never have — I'm long past trying to convert anyone. But I do get a kick out of hearing/reading differing opinions. 

• Like 2

PS: I should say, PattiCakes, that I think it's very sweet that you stood outside starting at 6 a.m. to get New Kids tix for your daughter years ago. I'm sure that experience stuck with her all this time. It's what parents do. Including dads — I remember getting to an animal shelter with my daughter at 6 a.m. to make sure she got the exact dog she wanted. (She did.) 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LC said:

The Beatles don't do it for you? In general, or that one song? 

Either way, I think it's safe to say our musical tastes don't overlap much — lol. And that's fine — music is such a personal thing, after all. Like, from your post above, I would say with certainty that I wouldn't have gone to any of those concerts you listed, not even if I had free tickets. Except Bacharach. And even then, I might not have sat through more than one set.

But nothing Johnny Mathis  has done has connected with me; it's easy-listening schmaltz, mostly, and his voice has always sounded a little creepy. And I can take only so much Frankie Valli — maybe a greatest-hits package — before I need to turn him off. And I think of Susan Anton more as an actress who tried to sing, so I wouldn't have been drawn to her concert. 

As for Burt, when he was good, he was very, very good — iconic. ("Always Something There to Remind Me" is my favorite. But for me, it's like Valli — I can't dig too deep beyond his hits. Some things he wrote seem too methodically composed — they lack fire and passion. 

On the other hand, Joel's return had me fixated on my "Best of Billy" playlist, and for me. his 50 best songs are brimming over with emotion, passion, and authenticity. "She's Always a Woman," "This Night," "Laura," "My Life," "James," "Pressure," "I Go to Extremes," "Stiletto," "Vienna," "Piano Man," "Goodnight Saigon"... whew! Did I mention "Laura"? Some of his deep cuts are his peak performances, in my humble opinion.

Not that I"m trying to convince anyone.... I'm just saying: Who knows what makes music connect with us? I have close friends who love to rag on Eric Carmen, and dismiss him as a Manilow wanna-be. They don't get it, and never have — I'm long past trying to convert anyone. But I do get a kick out of hearing/reading differing opinions. 

Ha! In my entire life, never bought a Beatles record or album. And now looking back Frankie Valli is somewhat annoying with the falsetto, although Dec '63 - Oh What a Night, is still one of my all time favorites, because of the melody with Gerry Polci, on lead vocals and FV singing the bridge sections. Saw them live in Cleveland and they were amazing to watch!  Though, I've settled in with Eric's genre; he's got it all.

Great conversation!  LC.  I'm glad we got to talk! ;)

It's fascinating to me how people/fans, even within a certain genre or artist, can have such varied tastes in music. Sometimes, it doesn't compute in my brain how someone can like and appreciate music that is an offspring of another band or artist that they don't like. I had a friend that was a big Poco fan (as am I) but he hated the Eagles. Another friend was opposite...he liked the Eagles but couldn't get into Poco. ???? It never made sense to me. BUT, I guess there's not much difference between THAT and when fans of Eric Carmen have such a different viewpoint of what they like and dislike. I often think of the example of "She Remembered" and how loved that song is by many on this site, while I and Marvin often listed it towards the bottom of our EC playlist. How's it possible to be SO varied in our judgement?

Lew dislikes Billy Joel, James dislikes Journey, Patti dislikes the Beatles. I can't reconcile that in my head. But, like LC said, it's a personal thing.

• Like 3

It is rather confounding, isn't it? I think a lot of it has to do with the time signature-when it gets to a certain (slow) rate, some people don't respond, or even respond negatively. Some people don't like the emotions that a ballad can reach deep down inside of them. Some people don't like a song they can't dance to. I remember Steely Dan putting out Any Major Dude; when asked if you could dance to it, someone responded, "Most of it". Some people don't like a song if their feet aren't moving. Some people, me included, love a song with beautiful chord changes and song construction that moves their soul whether or not I can understand a single lyric. Others can't get into a song unless they can make out the lyrics. It's a million little things, and maybe it's only one thing about a particular artist or song, but it is a rather interesting dichotomy, isn't it?                                                                                                                                          

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Matthew C. Clark said:

Joel cut by local & national news BUT the encore presentation on CBS will air Friday night at 9:00!! https://www.tmz.com/2024/04/15/billy-joel-100th-show-cbs-broadcast-cuts-performance-piano-man/#continued

The people making decisions at CBS are incompetent fools. I was watching the concert Sunday night when they cut to the news midway during "Piano Man". I was in total disbelief. This was poor planning from the get-go. The Masters Tournament always runs overtime, and all the programming was pushed back 31 minutes as a result. The decision to air the Billy Joel concert on the same night as the Masters was a complete blunder. The backlash from fans forced them to have the concert reair on Friday. What a bunch of amateurs. William Paley is spinning in his tomb.

• Haha 1