Thank you Petula Clark!

Rhonda B

This was the song that started it all for me as a musician. When I was a mere 7 years old, and I heard the piano introduction in "Downtown", I asked my mom if I could take piano lessons. It was released late in the year 1964 but became a #1 hit in January 1965. This is taken from the Dean Martin show in January 1967. Such a classy woman and performer. Thanks Petula Clark!

• Like 5

Such a great talent! Loved Petula and her contemporaries, Dusty Springfield, Shirley Bassey & Lulu.

Miss Clark was wonderful in this early Francis Ford Coppola film.  She was a perfect compliment to Fred Astaire.  

I remember seeing this film in the theater with my family.

Gosh & begorrah, put it on your St. Pat's movie list!!!

☘️🇮🇪💚🍀

• Like 3

5 hours ago, susie b said:

Such a great talent! Loved Petula and her contemporaries, Dusty Springfield, Shirley Bassey & Lulu.

You bet Susie. All ladies that were so much a part of my early musical life and again, classy and beautiful. ❤️

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Batman said:

Petula is alive and well at age 91. I recall her saying during an interview that she began entertaining during World War II. She was around 10 years old. She apparantly lives in Switzerland.

Yes Batman, I know that about her.  I think her husband is still alive also.  I feel so honoured that we were a part of that era of music.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2024 at 9:44 AM, susie b said:

Such a great talent! Loved Petula and her contemporaries, Dusty Springfield, Shirley Bassey & Lulu

My all-time favorite female vocalist, Dusty Springfield. A fantastic voice. But such a tragic figure. If anyone has read her biography, I need say no more.

No one has ever covered "The Look of Love" to equal her original. And her "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me", you can hear and feel the painful emotion in her voice. Such a tremendous talent. 😢

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Batman said:

No one has ever covered "The Look of Love" to equal her original. And her "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me", you can hear and feel the painful emotion in her voice. Such a tremendous talent. 😢

LOVE this song!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, James said:

Thanks Rhonda for cleaning
out my wallet !!..   : )

My pleasure James !  Petula Clark is one of the classy acts from the past. I'm honoured to say she had this influence over my musical career early on. It gives my heart great pleasure to know that this influence has renewed your interest in her. Enjoy!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Matthew C. Clark said:

Apparantly they lived together as brother and sister since the 1980's. as both had significant others romantically, but never divorced. Curious.

6 hours ago, Batman said:

Apparantly they lived together as brother and sister since the 1980's. as both had significant others romantically, but never divorced. Curious.

There's so many scenarios nowadays, nothing surprises me. This is a couple, the age of our parents and they found a way to make it work for them and still had admiration for each other. I can't fault them for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Petula´s album "Lost in You", from 2013, made when she was 80 years old, is one I bought a month or so ago inspired by this thread. Just listened to it straight through and it´s very good. I thoroughly enjoyed every song. After a couple more listens I may see it as a great album. She does a cover of "Imagine" that´s even better than JL´s.

Her more mature voice may be better than the voice of the 1960s, it´s awesome in 2013. Her team wrote and produced at a very high level also. She wrote the lyrics to 2 or 3 songs. 

Watchoo talkin ´bout Willis??

She was still putting out strong stuff for the world at 80 years old..that´s what I´M talkin ´bout.

P.S. and she´s put out 3 albums since this one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

Petula´s album "Lost in You", from 2013, made when she was 80 years old, is one I bought a month or so ago inspired by this thread. Just listened to it straight through and it´s very good. I thoroughly enjoyed every song. After a couple more listens I may see it as a great album. She does a cover of "Imagine" that´s even better than JL´s.

Wow..  very impressive.   You're motivating me to check that out James.

• Like 1