Carpenters on Johnny Carson, 1973

LC

Some "must-watch TV": Karen and Richard Carpenter guest on Johnny Carson and perform — fully live — some truly great pop songs: "Superstar," "Rainy Days and Mondays," and "Goodbye to Love." Then there's a charming interview with both, who seemed kind of nervous despite the huge success of their then-new greatest hits album (The Singles / 1969–73). And then they do a more obscure but cute song called "Mr. Guder," written about a DisneyLand boss who fired the Carpenters in 1967. This clip is just over 18 minutes but worth the time! 

• Like 6

A lovely post, LC.  

Always happy to watch Karen & Richard perform.

Just how good were KC's vocals?  Watch Fil's analysis video comparing live and studio performances.

Oh, we knew the man had the good taste to like the Raspberries, but did you guys know that John Lennon was an admirer of  KC as well?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Very nice, a real treat and so pleasant to watch and listen. Karen, at 23, looks healthy, bright and glowing as she talks about her music and especially as she sings. She is an absolute natural vocalist. I'm glad they showcased her drumming.  Unless you've ever had to do it, you can't imagine the coordination it takes to sing and play drums at the same time Thanks LC.

• Thanks 1

Agreed. I had read somewhere that her anorexia began after a critic made an ignorant comment about her maybe putting on a little weight. 

Thanks so much, LC. I had never seen this before and was impressed at how perfect it is, especially the harmony vocals blending with Karen's beautiful alto voice. I appreciated the inclusion of the clarinet, and was pleased that those great guitar parts were left in.

• Thanks 1