Albums turning 50 from 1974

Good post, Matthew.

The three albums among these 50 that hogged my music-listening time over the years: 
Raspberries Starting Over
Elton John's Greatest Hits
Elton John's Caribou

Big flub by the writer: relegating The Beach Boys' Endless Summer to the "other releases" in June. Come on! It's Endless Summer! It should be the first record from 1974 cited for its 50th anniversary! 

• Like 3

Those that hogged my music listening time from that list:

Elton John, Caribou....though much less than his other albums from 1969-1976.
America, Holiday
Raspberries, Starting Over
RUSH, RUSH....raw RUSH, but one of their best albums.

A lot of creativity in the music world in 1974 given those releases.

• Like 2

"On the Border", Eagles....as good really as any album I´ve listened to, is one like LC´s mention of "Endless Summer" that should have been in the 50. So good.

Eldorado", ELO....for my tastes it should have been in the top 50.

• Like 2

Matthew, very good thread.  Elton John's Caribou album was a keeper for me at age 15.  The lesser-known songs are what intrigue me. "Ticking" is a wonderfully written song with Bernie Taupin's "piercing the soul" lyrics...very deep.   But what really moves me about Elton John is his intricate finger work in the song and the dissonant chords which I love.  As a musician and a keyboard player, this song  musically, is so satisfying. Elton John is so strong vocally. It's not for everyone,  but when you mention the Caribou album this is what came to mind. A little long at just under 8 minutes, if you're not totally into the song:

• Like 3

James — good calls! I agree on the Eagles' On the Border and especially ELO's Eldorado as wrongful placed in the "Others" category. They should be part of the 50.

Another flub as sort of an afterthought: Ringo's Goodnight Vienna. That's a very good album, with the title track, a Roger Miller song called "Husbands and Wives," an Elton song called "Snooker," "The No No Song," and an awesome take on "Only You." Oh, there's also "All By Myself" — but not that one.

Flubs aside, the writer gets huge kudos for giving Starting Over its due.

• Like 1

My own flub: The three albums among the 50 that hogged my music-listening time over the years (Starting Over plus Elton John's Greatest Hits and Caribou) should actually have been four. I overlooked the writer's citation of this classic:

John Lennon's Walls and Bridges.

It's still a favorite listen. It includes "#9 Dream" (LOVE that one), the #1 hit "Whatever Gets You Thru the Night," the Sinatra-esque "Nobody Loves You (When Your'e Down and Out)," and the awesomely sharp "Steel and Glass." There's also a collaboration with Harry Nilsson that I love: "Old Dirt Road."

• Like 1