Beach Boys on Mike Douglas Show, 1969

LC

This 1969 Beach Boys bit is weirdly dated, with the strangely empty set on Mike Douglas's show and the band by then performing without Brian Wilson. Song selection is cool but odd — "Breakaway" and "Celebrate the News." And there are the almost-matching outfits — Al Jardine the only one who's not in all white. And Mike Love looks like he's thinking, "Some day I'll get rid of all these Wilsons and Al Jardine and I'LL be the Beach Boys' clear leader!"

But... its a fun clip to watch. Carl Wilson was so great, and it's interesting to see Dennis Wilson singing lead on the second song. 

The woman who sings after Mike Douglas on the third segment here is Kaye Stevens. 

• Like 4

Funny how Bruce Johnston was the spokesperson with Mike Douglas. He wasn't even an original member of the group. He started with them in 1965 as a replacement for Brian Wilson. Also, a dead giveaway as to lip-syncing is when you have electric guitars with no cords attached! This was WAY before wireless FM transmitters like we have today. The white outfits were definitely uncharacteristic as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You've heard of the Royals...an heir and a spare??

Bruce is the spare.

Mike, the BB we "Love" to hate.

It ain't the Beach Boys without a Wilson.

I always liked Mike Douglas much more than Merv Griffin.  Mike was always great with the stars on his show and had a beautiful singing voice of his own.

I do remember my cousin and I were " too sick" for school when certain acts were booked on the Mike Douglas Show.  Thank you, TV  Guide.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Batman said:

Mike Douglas had charisma. Merv Griffin not so much. I remember he had a top 40 hit back in the 70' with, "The Men in My Little Girls' Life". As a father of two adult daughters, it has meaning for me now. Not back when I was 20 something and single!

Dad loved this song as well.  I think it is so sweet.

Just remember all of you daughters' fathers...  You guys are ALWAYS our best fella!!!!  The guy who is always there for us through thick and thin... skinned knees to broken hearts, training wheels through oil changes, baptism through walking us down the aisle.

We love you more than words can say.

💕

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for saying that, susie b. I was blessed with two extraordinary daughters and I cherished every moment I spent with them as they grew and matured. I am very proud of the intelligent and level-headed women that they are today.  They both have very high moral and ethical standards, something that is sorely lacking today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, susie b said:

Dad loved this song as well.  I think it is so sweet.

Just remember all of you daughters' fathers...  You guys are ALWAYS our best fella!!!!  The guy who is always there for us through thick and thin... skinned knees to broken hearts, training wheels through oil changes, baptism through walking us down the aisle.

💕

Yes, thank you for saying that, Susie. It choked me up a little, I admit, thinking about my two "little girls," now both in their 20s. Believe it or not, we don't always hear or "feel" that sentiment, even though we know it's inside them. Peace and love to you! 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, susie b said:

💕

For weeks after my Dad passed, I had to stop myself from calling him on Sunday mornings....that's when we would chat over our coffee and discuss EVERYTHING under the sun.    Definitely the best friend I ever had....💌  (Miss you, Pop!!)

• Like 1