Hey Sweeney

blackhawkpat

Had I been a singer, I might have done the remake of The Sugar Bears 1972 remake of "Anyone But You" (written by Baker Knight) sung by Mike Settle (former member of Kenny Rogers First Edition) & also Kim Carnes on backing vocals. (audio only & album track) BUT Big Tree Records did not release that as a 45 single. That song was also at the back of "Super Sugar Crisp" cereal cutout!! The movie "Anyone But You" starring Sydney Sweeney comes out Christmas weekend & Rated "R". 

• Like 2

Baker Knight wrote "The Wonder of You", originally meant to be a gospel song. Ray Peterson recorded it in 1959 and it did very well. Elvis Presley recorded it in 1970 and it was a huge hit and it became one of his concert staples. In the live version recorded on stage in Las Vegas, there are close to a dozen backup singers, both female and male, and all gospel singers. The ending of that song with all the crescendo of music and voices actually sounds to me like a choir in church. Both Ray's and Elvis' recordings were on the RCA Victor Records label. 

• Like 1

That, in my opinion, was the greatest performance of that song that was captured on film. This was shot for the live concert theatrical movie , "Elvis-That's The Way It Is". Curiously, that performance was not used in the original film, but Turner/MGM released it in 1986 on vhs tape as part of, "Elvis-The Lost Performances". There were many hours of footage from the 1970 film and the 1972 "Elvis On Tour" film that were discovered, of all places, in an underground storage facility. In 2001, producer Rick Schmidlin re-edited the entire movie, removing most of the non-musical scenes and replacing them with performances that were filmed but not used. "The Wonder of You" was one of the deleted songs that Schmidlin wisely selected to be put back in the film.

• Like 1

If you look up "hi-jacked thread" in the dictionary, this particular example comes up. Matthew, how did Pat's notice of "Hey Deanie/Sweeney" inspire a Sugar Bears note? I'd call that a non-sequitur. 😂

Blackhawk Pat, this was a most cool alert — thank you. Made me wanna listen to "Hey Deanie." 

• Like 4

On 12/13/2023 at 8:05 PM, blackhawkpat said:

Gorgeous actress Sydney Sweeney was on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon last night, and when she was introduced and walked out, the Roots  played “Hey Sweeney” to the tune of “Hey Deanie”!  Eric’s music lives on and on!

Back to the original post...that's pretty effing cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Holy Cassidy! I didn't realize from Pat's alert that Fallon's band was actually singing "Hey Sweeney won't you come out tonight..." I was thinking in my head it was a subtle instrumental touch. Thanks for that find and share, Bernie! It's weirdly gratifying to hear a 44-year-old EC song used that way. Somebody in Jimmy's band has a remarkably wide awareness of popular music.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, LC said:

If you look up "hi-jacked thread" in the dictionary, this particular example comes up. Matthew, how did Pat's notice of "Hey Deanie/Sweeney" inspire a Sugar Bears note? I'd call that a non-sequitur. 😂

Blackhawk Pat, this was a most cool alert — thank you. Made me wanna listen to "Hey Deanie." 

Yup, after listening to covers, you gotta hear the Master's voice as a touchstone, just like Nipper on the RCA label.

Accept no substitute.

☺️

• Like 2