The Most Popular Christmas Songs in Each State (2023)

ooch

Living in the NY-NJ-PA tristate area, I am not surprised that "All I Want for Christmas Is You" came in number 1. To me, it's a throwback to the early 1960's girl-group sound of Phil Spector. Unfortunately, they play the song incessantly on the radio, in the mall, and in every type of store that plays music during the holidays. I have become numb to it and ignore it at this point. For myself, Nat "King" Cole's version of "The Christmas Song" is one of my top 10 favorites. Also, "Oh Holy Night" as performed by the incomparable Mario Lanza is the most powerful Christmas song that I have ever heard.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that Lennon and McCartney both made the "Most Annoying Christmas Songs" list. I' guess I can see Paul's "Wonderful Christmastime" making the list — I wouldn't put it there, but I can see it. But John's "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" holds up well. Maybe overplayed? 

The holiday song that makes me cringe is "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," by Andy Williams. Ugh. Just typing the title in here is getting me nauseous. I HATE that song with a passion — the lyrics, the tepid melody, the vocal.... It's just a saccharine, gooey piece of Christmas shi..., er, coal. 

andy williams.webp

7 hours ago, Kirk said:

Hey, I grew up listening to that one, as well as watching Andy Williams specials; my folks had Andy William records- I think Dear Heart was probably played a million times in our house...need a barf bag, LC? LOL

Yes to the barf bag! Send me a case, in fact. There's no escaping "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" during the holiday season.... 

I'm such. a Christmas curmudgeon sometimes, aren't I? Lol

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, susie b said:

This Christmas classic about the ultimate golddigger is sung to purrrrfection by its original sultry songstress, Miss Eartha Kitt.

Many have covered this song, but nothing matches Miss Kitt's original delivery.

Santa as her sugar daddy...  She IS a naughty girl.

Ooh, Eartha. Yes, she is so innocently naughty in that song. Love it. And I agree there are no subsequent versions that reach the bar Eartha set. (Sorry, Madonna... and Gwen Stefani... and Arianna... and many others.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LC said:

The holiday song that makes me cringe is "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," by Andy Williams. Ugh. Just typing the title in here is getting me nauseous. I HATE that song with a passion — the lyrics, the tepid melody, the vocal.... It's just a saccharine, gooey piece of Christmas shi..., er, coal.

I'll save you LC, here you go....and you're welcome 😊 🎄

1 hour ago, Rhonda B said:

I'll save you LC, here you go....and you're welcome 😊 🎄

Thank you, Rhonda. Christmas-song perfection by the late, great John Stewart. 

For those who haven't been following my John Stewart Master Class, this was song #103 in the series — a summer 2022 surprise for Rhonda. (We're up to #182 by now — all different songs, most with multiple versions that are each worthy of standing on their own. Pretty intensive... but reflective of songwriting and performing brilliance.)

"Mary's Baby Boy" has an amazingly peaceful aura — a simple arrangement with lots of reverence, tranquility, and hope. Love it.  

• Thanks 1