What Does This Say About the Economy?

susie b

Just an observation...

Halloween was two weeks ago, yet every grocery store I have shopped over the past few days STILL has Halloween candy on sale, and it's not the hard candy, it's Reese's, Snickers, Kit Kat & and all the other chocolate favorites.  

Even at 50% off, there are cases of the stuff.

And I fail to believe that Americans have all suddenly gone on a health food kick.

#1, the candy was expensive, and even at 50% off, I think people are choosing to buy "real" food and are by-passing the luxury items as grocery prices have skyrocketed.

I also saw a newsreport that many people chose NOT to participate in Trick-or-Treat due to the cost.

• Like 1

I don't believe that we have hit bottom yet. Whereas this past summer, only one in four Wall Street pundits were predicting a recession next year, the consensus has jumped to two out of three seeing a recession by the middle of 2024. And our "leaders" in Washington continue to spend like drunken internet billionaires, and run up the federal deficit to astronomical numbers that our great-grandchildren will still be paying off. It was reported in today's news that the illegal immigrants flooding our country will so far cost taxpayers $451. billion. This is not only unfair to American taxpayers and completely irresponsible, it is unsustainable. Wake up American voters!

• Like 1

Batman is right. The debt is another piece of evidence proving how selfish is this generation, ie how we indulge via debt and leave the disaster of payback to those who are children today.

And I'll add that when America's creditors decide to turn off the spigot, if you think thru the iterations of consequences, the Great Depression will seem like a bonanza in comparison.

Worse, the debt is barely an issue in our political debates.

• Like 1