Carnegie Hall set list

Kirk

2 hours ago, Raspbernie said:

This set list leaves off the Carnegie Hall opener of the "Ticket to Ride" intro into "I Wanna Be With You." Either that was a last minute call, or this set list is for another show.

Hey, I hadn't noticed that- good catch!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, James said:

Good stuff Kirk, and strong set-list, but not sure how ICR worked as a part of a medley.

For me ICR is their magnus opus - especially prior to the album SO - and should be presented as such.

Not to worry, they didn't truncate it. As can be heard in existing live tapes from this period, the four ballads preceding it would be done in short excerpts (with transitional interludes in between), leading in to a full 8-minute rendition of ICR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great share, Kirk. Where'd you find?

One question about "Ticket to Ride" — I'm a little unclear on this. (I think I used to know, but have forgotten!) When the show started, Wally famously launched into "Ticket to Ride"... but they didn't play the whole song, did they? Part of my memory is that they played the opening chords only... but I could be wrong. 

38 minutes ago, LC said:

Great share, Kirk. Where'd you find?

One question about "Ticket to Ride" — I'm a little unclear on this. (I think I used to know, but have forgotten!) When the show started, Wally famously launched into "Ticket to Ride"... but they didn't play the whole song, did they? Part of my memory is that they played the opening chords only... but I could be wrong. 

Posted on the Marv's Raspberries FB page...

That's a good question LC, so I've been trying to look at various articles and anecdotes for an accurate answer. Most accounts seem to indicate that yes, it was only a few bars, not the full song...but I can't completely determine whether those few bars were just the instrumental guitar/drum flourish bit, or if they included a vocal line or two.

I'm leaning towards instrumental only, because many of the reviews reference a smooth transition between "Ticket" and the opening chords of "IWBWY." I.E., one super-familiar jangly Rickenbacker intro deftly segueing into another.  

Just as an aside, apparently they re-created this intro for the opening of one reunion show, at the Cleveland Scene Pavilion. And were planning on doing it for the NY shows as well, with a different video. I'll let Bernie elaborate on that one. 

• Thanks 1

Given the rehearsal you put in the Supporters section, Bernie, it seems safe to assume that the setlist above was not from Carnegie Hall, considering that "GATW" wouldn't have been the song into which "Ticket to Ride" segued.