Vinyl Resurrection

Batman

Sales figures for 2022 show vinyl records outselling compact discs for the first time in 35 years. This is very encouraging news for an audiophile and music lover as myself. I still like my CD's, and they represented a quantum leap in sound reproduction, but it is amazing that a technology from the late 1880's is still alive and well in 2023. Many friends and family tossed out all their LP's years ago, along with their phonographs. I never discarded a single record.... they are stacked up in boxes on shelves all over the Batcave, along with about 1,200 compact discs, 700 cassettes, and 100 reel-to-reel tapes. Viva la LP!

Vinyl Record Sales Surpassed CDs for First Time in 35 Years (businessinsider.com)

• Like 2

I still have all my vinyl, which includes at least 2 of each Raspberries and Eric recordings. Recently, we remodeled the inside of the house. My wife wanted me to put my albums out in the Porta Stor container. No way! The heat would have warped them. Kicked her car out of the garage and put them in there LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am not convinced that it sounds better... just different. Maybe a little more "present," because the vinyl tends to sound "warmer."

But all-in-all, I prefer the super clean sound of digital. I suppose you can buy an incredibly expensive system that has scratch/crackle filters, etc., and even though some turntables I've owned were great, none were that great!

I do like the warmth of the analog sound and the tactile experience of holding an album cover, reading and re-reading liner notes.  The liner notes with CDs just aren't the same with their microscopic fonts on small pieces of paper.

One thing I don't miss is carting heavy crates of albums when moving, as the size of my collection rivaled Marvin's.

As y'all know, my library was trashed in my house fire a few years ago, and I have been working to replace my very favorite albums.  It's interesting for me to see which albums have stood the test of time for me, and which ones failed to earn a place in the new library.

• Like 1

Same here - not only did I join up my vinyl collection with my husband's when we got married a few decades ago, we still have all my dad's records from the 1940's - 1980's!!!!

Dad set up a quadrophonic speaker system with a great amp! I was the youngest of the family and was playing those albums constantly. My brother had gobs of vinyl, but my 2 sisters never did. I have never lived without a turntable since I could afford to own one of my own!!!