Takin’ Care of Business…

Lew Bundles

Bachman-Turner Overdrive recorded Taking Care of Business during a long session for Bachman-Turner Overdrive II in 1973. With Randy on vocals, it was supposed to be a throwaway song, recorded sloppily with Randy’s guitar out of tune. When the band was getting ready to end the session, a pizza delivery guy knocked on the door asking if they had ordered pizzas. they hadn’t, but Steve Miller recording down the hall had, so the guy left. A few minutes later he showed up again and said ‘that song you were just playing needs a piano. I’m a pianist and I need a break, so let me do it.’ So they let the guy add a piano track after which everyone left. The next day their manager showed up and wanted to hear the album. They didn’t even want to play TCB for him, but he insisted. So Randy told the engineer to mute the piano track because nobody had even listened to a playback yet. But the engineer failed to mute it and the band’s manager thought the piano was GREAT and would make the song a big hit. So now they had to find the piano guy by calling pizzerias in the area - and soon they were successful. The pizza guy eventually wound up as Bette Midler’s music director and TCB went from a throwaway they didn’t even want their manager to hear to become their signature song that remains a popular 70s classic. It also has been said that Elvis adopted his ‘TCB’ slogan after hearing the song.

https://www.quora.com/

• Like 2

Good story! The timing of someone's break into the music business seems so fickle, yet it changed the life of my neighbor in Westchester (SoCal). He was a musician doing a gig at a local hotel with a female singer. Somebody in the music business had his flight out of LAX delayed and ended up at the hotel's lounge, listening to my friend and the singer. After the set, the businessman approached Chris and gave him a card- telling him he should contact Paul Williams. Chris Caswell became Paul Williams music director, pianist, and friend from that time forward. All of this possible because of a delayed plane flight...

• Like 1

"Rollin on down the Highway" is so awesome, and should have made my best lead guitar list. "Give me your money please" was good. Wasn't a big fan of the rest of their hits, but did like their sound. In my mind I always classified them as "Fat Rock"....not in a pejorative spirit, but in a positive spirit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...